Join Early Retirement Today

Firecalc usage problem
Old 06-12-2021, 08:14 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Firecalc usage problem

I've been trying to use firecalc this evening and I can't get it to move past the start page. Anyone else having trouble?
Plantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2021, 08:43 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Works fine for me.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:55 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantman View Post
I've been trying to use firecalc this evening and I can't get it to move past the start page. Anyone else having trouble?
I had thought I had the same problem, but then I scrolled down, and it was all there, just below the start page.
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:39 AM   #4

It did act a little squirrelly when I first opened the page, like not wanting to go to the other tabs, but in a short while (seconds) it behaved normally.
latexman is offline   Reply With Quote
FireCalc Support Needed
Old 07-01-2021, 12:29 PM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

FireCalc Support Needed

I love Firecalc, but I've only been able to get it to run the most simple of its calculations and want to do more. It will run the Spending, Portfolio Value, and Years easily.

If I try to add in SSi data and other items that make it more complex - it never works and loses the data. Maybe I'm not doing something right.

I generally fill in that data using the tabs at the top and then hit submit at the bottom of each page. Then I go back to the original tab and hit submit on the Spending, Portfolio Value, and Years box on the first tab.

I also notice I cannot run 2 queries. I need to re-load to change numbers in the Spending, Portfolio Value, and Years box on tab 1.

Ideas? Help? Am I not using the current version? Any thoughts appreciated.

Artiscara
Artiscara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:34 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artiscara View Post
I love Firecalc, but I've only been able to get it to run the most simple of its calculations and want to do more. It will run the Spending, Portfolio Value, and Years easily.

If I try to add in SSi data and other items that make it more complex - it never works and loses the data. Maybe I'm not doing something right.

I generally fill in that data using the tabs at the top and then hit submit at the bottom of each page. Then I go back to the original tab and hit submit on the Spending, Portfolio Value, and Years box on the first tab.

I also notice I cannot run 2 queries. I need to re-load to change numbers in the Spending, Portfolio Value, and Years box on tab 1.

Ideas? Help? Am I not using the current version? Any thoughts appreciated.

Artiscara
Do not hit submit on each page. Fill out the data on each tab/page and only hit submit on the last tab/page once you have entered everything.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:38 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Your description doesn't match my experience.

I open firecalc.com in one browser tab. Hitting submit at the bottom of any of the firecalc tabs opens a new browser tab with the results.

As long as I keep that first browser tab open, I can go into any of the firecalc tabs and change numbers as I want. My previous data entries stay there until I either change them or close the browser tab.

It doesn't matter which submit button I hit.

I'm using Chrome on a Win8.1 laptop. I think your experience may be due to the browser you're using or just some sort of user error (i.e., you're not doing something right). But figuring out the the latter might be difficult to do via forum posts.

ETA: But yeah, only hit submit when you want to get results for the data as you currently have it entered. Then if you want to run a second set of inputs, you should be able to go back to the same browser tab, change the data you want to change, then hit submit again. Note that there is only one results browser tab, so you'll need to save off the results from the first run because the second time you hit submit it will replace the results.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:06 PM   #8

It hasn’t been working right for me either. Tried two different browsers with the same issue.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
FireCalc Support Needed
Old 07-01-2021, 01:14 PM   #9

FireCalc Support Needed

I will try different browsers. I'm on a Mac maybe that has something to do with it. I could use Firefox instead. When I hit submit - I get no graphs, data, or answers except on the original short tab on the homepage.

Looks like others may also have this issue.
Old 07-01-2021, 01:48 PM   #10

I actually can't get it to open any other tabs. I can enter the Start Here info but nothing else. This just started happening in the past week. It was fine before that.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:09 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FWIW, I just tried entering a few options and Firecalc seemed to work just fine.

I'm using Firefox.

omni

PS: to new users...please be aware that you cannot backdate any entries (like a pension that started last year), as Firecalc won't include those in the calculations. All dates need to be this year or future years.
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 02:21 PM   #12

For those having difficulty with FIRECalc (it works fine for me in Safari in a Mac), try these basic troubleshooting steps.

First, clear your browser cache.

Second, restart your computer.

I know, it's too simple, but it usually works.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #13

FireCalc Support Needed

Thank you everyone!! It works using the Firefox browser and not hitting submit at the bottom of each page. So thankful for the advice.

Artiscara
Old 07-01-2021, 02:53 PM   #14

I see the issue in Chrome and MS Edge across multiple devices. I do NOT see the issue in Safari. Edge and Chrome are both based on the same open-source browser platform (Chromium) which probably explains why the exhibit the same issue. It seems to be a problem with the ad server being blocked by the browser.

Here’s the warning message (which is ultimately followed by a 403 (Forbidden) error):

A parser-blocking, cross site (i.e. different eTLD+1) script, https://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/invc....2110942299920?, is invoked via document.write. The network request for this script MAY be blocked by the browser in this or a future page load due to poor network connectivity. If blocked in this page load, it will be confirmed in a subsequent console message. See https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5718547946799104 for more details.

Clicking that last link describes a feature in Chromium where such invocations may be blocked on slow connections. None of my connections are slow, so it may be a Chromium bug.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
I see the issue in Chrome and MS Edge across multiple devices.
I'm on a Mac and having the issue on Firefox and Safari.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:06 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artiscara View Post
Thank you everyone!! It works using the Firefox browser and not hitting submit at the bottom of each page. So thankful for the advice.

Artiscara
I used it using Chrome with no issues.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
I'm on a Mac and having the issue on Firefox and Safari.
Not sure then, Steve. Try right-clicking in the browser, and choosing ‘Inspect’. Then click the Console tab, and reload the page to see what errors are shown.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I used it using Chrome with no issues.
Do you by any chance use an adblocker?
Old 07-01-2021, 04:32 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
Do you by any chance use an adblocker?
Yes I do. 3 adblockers in fact.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Yes I do. 3 adblockers in fact.
Since it seems to be the link to the ad server that’s causing the problem, I suspect your use of adblockers is why you’re not seeing the issue.