Join Early Retirement Today

post retirement expenses ie cars
Old 03-11-2008, 11:44 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

post retirement expenses ie cars

I have been confused by the various retirement calculators and so I finally created an excel spreadsheet so I can enter everything in exactly like I think it might happen. Seems like a good idea but I need some other tool (like FireCalc) to confirm or deny my assumptions. How can I tell fire calc that I intend to by a used car every 5 years? I'll stop here and see how this works. This is my first post.
davemcmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2008, 06:43 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemcmullen View Post
How can I tell fire calc that I intend to by a used car every 5 years? I'll stop here and see how this works. This is my first post.
Figure out what it will cost (in today's dollars) and add that figure/5 into your annual expenses.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:05 PM   #3

How can I tell firecalc about semi retirment

Thanks for the reply about the cars. I understand. Next guestion. How can I tell Firecalc about semi-retirement. I want a period of time, 10 years, where I work part time. This work will not be enough to pay the bills and so I will take money from my portfollio to make up the difference. After this 10 year period, then I will stop working alltogether and take even more money from my portfollio to make up the difference. I didn't see how firecalc would let me do that. thanks again for the help.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

FireCalc does exactly that using the option at the bottom of the Spending Model page. You can vary your withdrawals on a year to year basis. I am in your situation, so I just enter a small or 0 withdrawal for years 1 - 5, then the full withdrawal thereafter.

Of course to see that feature you need to have sent in a donation to the author. You did send in your supporter payment, right .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #5

I just discovered firecalc and actually I haven't sent in my donation. But you know what. Now I'm going to. The response on these forums has been nice. These responses and the tool will obviously be worth it. Thanks for the reply.