Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What does a year start in FireCalc ?
Old 11-03-2016, 05:36 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

What does a year start in FireCalc ?

FC allows you to enter a year for quite a few events - - - when to retire, when to begin receiving SS or pensions, when to add or subtract to your portfolio, etc. I assume, but am not sure, that the event would be measured from today vs. January 1 or some other day. For example, if I say I will retire in 2018, it assumes it is two years from today, and not on 1/1/018. Is that right? It may not make much difference if retirement is 20 years away, but if it 2018 or 2019, it can make a difference. Does anyone know?
23window is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

All FIRECalc years begin on January 1.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
All FIRECalc years begin on January 1.
When I leave it at 2016 then change it to 2017 which is only a few days away, it has a significant change in the low,high an d average amounts
Which shouldn't happen in 3-4 days?

Please straighten me out
Thanks 24
sayhey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
When I leave it at 2016 then change it to 2017 which is only a few days away, it has a significant change in the low,high an d average amounts
Which shouldn't happen in 3-4 days?

Please straighten me out
Thanks 24
FIRECalc works in one year increments. The program doesn't know that 2017 is only 3 days away, it only knows you changed the input from 2016 to 2017, a difference of a full year.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:44 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
FIRECalc works in one year increments. The program doesn't know that 2017 is only 3 days away, it only knows you changed the input from 2016 to 2017, a difference of a full year.
IIRC FC also messes up if your SS input is not a current or future year. Even if you started taking SS in 2005, if you enter 2005 you get an incorrect result.

I could be wrong but seems to me I got a strange number once when I entered a past year. Or am I, as often, mistaken?
Old 12-30-2016, 04:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
IIRC FC also messes up if your SS input is not a current or future year. Even if you started taking SS in 2005, if you enter 2005 you get an incorrect result.

I could be wrong but seems to me I got a strange number once when I entered a past year. Or am I, as often, mistaken?
You are correct:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...alc-67540.html