Join Early Retirement Today

??? with Firecalc
Old 02-04-2021, 10:37 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

??? with Firecalc

Tonight, I entered my data into Firecalc and got very different results from my previous inquiries. I had the input data from a previous report and entered those number -- again the graphic page and summary was markedly different.

The report from tonight stated I had a 25% success rate, where as the previous report as showed a 100% success rate. I checked my data entry and it was okay. The culprit seems to be that the social security / pension data is not being included in the calculations. The results were the same with or without the ss/pension data.

This is the first time I've had a discrepancy using the calculator. Has anyone else had problems. It's been more than 6 months since I last used Firecalc.

Thanks!!!
wyecrabber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2021, 10:58 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It has been working fine for me.

Just now:

Clicking "Submit" with all default values resulted in a success rate of ~95%.

Adding $20000 of SS starting in 2022 increased the success rate to 100%.

Deleting the SS entry and adding $20000 of pension income starting in 2024 also increased the success rate to 100%.

Remember that the SS and pension entries are supposed to be annual numbers, not monthly numbers. If you're entering monthly numbers, FIREcalc will treat them as annual numbers, and an entry of, say $1000 for SS may not be enough to affect the success rate.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:49 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Double check that you have the Pension Income button checked (it defaults to Off Chart Spending).

Having that number (potentially tens of thousands of dollars) input as an expense instead of income will impact the results.

That has bitten me more than once.
Geld ist Freiheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:29 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Make sure your numbers are input as yearly numbers vs. monthly numbers. My results from Firecalc have been consistent.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:32 AM   #5
Administrator

In addition to the suggestions above, make sure the starting year is correct for SS and pensions. If you are already receiving social security or a pension, use the current year (2021) as a starting date. The program does not accommodate numbers in those boxes prior to the current year and it will be as if you are not receiving that money at all.

Also make sure the inflation adjusted box is checked for the pension if you do indeed get a COLA.

MOD NOTE: Thread moved to Firecalc Support forum
Old 02-05-2021, 08:38 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

May just be me but FIRECalc ignores fields with commas in them.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:42 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just tried it and it's working for me...
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
May just be me but FIRECalc ignores fields with commas in them.
True, but that's generally true for spreadsheets as well.

Quite a few FIRECalc questions are answered in this page:
https://firecalc.com/intro.php

and one of them is often the most useful:
Quote:
I am not sure that my entries are doing what they should. How can I check?
One way is to start with a nearly blank scenario with zero expenses, zero inflation, and zero growth. Make a single change at a time and see the effect on the timeline. Remove that change and make another. Keep doing this until you satisfy yourself that your changes are happening as you expect.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:35 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Early this morning, I found the culprit -- and it is as Gumby stated. The dates for receiving social security must be the current year or greater.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...05aCKoowQ7LHTb
wyecrabber1 is offline   Reply With Quote