Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
A big mystery.... a round of golf walking including bad shots and back and forth is say 8000 yards which is less than five miles so about 10-15k steps. And that is walking.

Sometimes I wonder if these trackers inflate the numbers to sell more of them. Or maybe it is the swinging of clubs that makes it overcount?

Here is an article on accuracy that talks about body movements

https://wearablezone.com/news/how-accurate-is-fitbit/
My golf watch records the actual distance covered, not steps. My rounds come in between 8 - 10k.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2019, 01:43 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
A big mystery.... a round of golf walking including bad shots and back and forth is say 8000 yards which is less than five miles so about 10-15k steps. And that is walking.

Sometimes I wonder if these trackers inflate the numbers to sell more of them. Or maybe it is the swinging of clubs that makes it overcount?

I think you're light with the 8000 yards, the typical course is ~7000 yards (straight line) tee to middle of green, then you add in all the walking from green to tee, searching for balls, crooked shots, pacing around the green, etc., it can easily get close to 12000 yards. My Garmin tracks both steps and uses GPS to track distance walked. It varies a little but always in the same ballpark, a little over 6 miles and 12K steps at my course.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 01:57 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Just looked at my Fitbit, I average 17.8k steps per day in 2019 so far. But I never targeted steps itself, rather I am trying to get my calories spent to cross 2000, or better be above 2300 per day, that includes both passive and active ones.
Exit 2024 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:07 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

For sure, exercising a dog as much as that dog truly needs and wants, will keep the owner in shape. A dog is a lot of responsibility, though, if all you want is an exercise gadget

Quote:
Get a medium to large dog and exercise him or her appropriately. 2 twenty minute walks a day plus a long outing in the afternoon will easily get you there
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:15 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Pretty sure I did about 200,000 steps in one 24 hour period, just over 3 years ago.

It was during a 100 mile race that took me just over 23.5 hours. My running watch measures cadence, not steps. For the first 8 hours, I averaged 165 steps/minute. I borrowed another watch that doesn't show cadence for the next 9 hours, and got mine back for the final 6.5 hours. I averaged 136 in the last part, because I was walking a lot more. The middle section pace was in between, so 150 is a reasonable guess for it, and the entire race. I'm not sure whether the watch factors in non-moving time or not. I had it in race mode so it shows the actual time, but I'm not sure about cadence. Let's assume it doesn't. I figure I was moving between 22 and 23 hours. I only sat to change socks and shoes, and a couple potty stops, so even at the aid station stops I was still walking around a little bit, and a little bit of walking before or after the race with the watch off, to fill out the 24 hours.

150 steps/min * 60 min/hr * 22 hours = 198,000 steps
150 steps/min * 60 min/hr * 23 hours = 207,000 steps.

That 165 cadence is pretty typical for runners. I have pretty short legs so I tend to be on the high side for my pace. Just saying, what the watch is telling me is probably accurate.

I remember estimating before my other 100 miler that I would be landing on each foot about 100,000 times. That one took me about 26.5 hours, more than a day.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:41 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Pretty sure I did about 200,000 steps in one 24 hour period, just over 3 years ago.

It was during a 100 mile race that took me just over 23.5 hours. ...

Sounds about right. I had 45,000 on a marathon day. And at 6’ tall, my stride is probably longer than yours. So you probably easily passed 200,000.

One of my biggest steps days was a tree planting day. BIL and I planted more than 700 bare root trees and bushes in a day. The foot stomping of earth around the tree trunks amounted to more than 35,000 steps. Even though I probably didn’t walk a mile.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:02 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't really pay attention to the steps, more the active calories on the A watch. It's pretty stingy on the calorie count compared to exercise bike or elliptical at the gym. I try to "close the red ring' which I've set for 700 active about 4-5 days a week. I'm always disappointed when I trail bike and see the calories and average heart rate; I've learned you just can't burn calories dodging trees, rocks, and curves the way you can on the stationary bike. The Y has a couple of Expresso bikes that I enjoy, the video takes my mind off the boredom. Much prefer walking or biking in the woods. Highly recommend finding more than a single pursuit; mix it up. Oh, and my 8 yo Bassett Hound has decided unless I take her to the woods she ain't walking more than 7-8 blocks! In the woods I can get a mile and a half out of her, used to get 2-3.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:39 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Live in NYC...way more than 10k/day then.
jpeter1093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:45 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
10k isn't that much when you get down to it, if you're even reasonably active. It's pretty hard to do less than 4k unless you just putter around the house for the day.
I am at home most days. My house is one story about 2300 SF. If I just knock around the house I will average maybe 2000 steps. If I go to the gym then I get closer to 4k. To get to 7k takes me making a determined effort to get there. It means walking on the treadmill even though I have already been to the gym, that kind of thing. Some days I pace through my house if I am bored with the treadmill. But if I don't go to the gym then it is definitely hard to get to 4k, let alone 10k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

FWIW, a new study shows that 7500 steps is the sweet spot for older women. I guess we guys have to tag along and hope for the best.

https://time.com/5597557/do-you-need-10000-steps-a-day/
I read that as well. And for many people 10k is just too many. My knees start hurting when I do that for too many days in a row.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:42 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

I did 6000 on the treadmill yesterday morning and ended up at 9,000 total yesterday. Today will not be good. Too busy to spend time on the treadmill or get outside hiking
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:58 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I think you're light with the 8000 yards, the typical course is ~7000 yards (straight line) tee to middle of green, then you add in all the walking from green to tee, searching for balls, crooked shots, pacing around the green, etc., it can easily get close to 12000 yards. My Garmin tracks both steps and uses GPS to track distance walked. It varies a little but always in the same ballpark, a little over 6 miles and 12K steps at my course.
+1. The Golf Digest article I linked to earlier said walking 18 was about 6 miles, which is 10,560 yards - maybe a good average? They acknowledged it would actually vary considerably based on course length and distance between holes, the latter can vary more than course length IME. My steps work out to about 2000/mile give or take.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:15 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Another vote for a dog, best company you can hope for, they will listen to all your problems offer no advice and love you unconditionally, if you don't know how to do it, listen to Rory and Frankie here:

Humbooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:21 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

10,000 isn't that hard. That should be a minimum.
I also altered my goals from steps to active calories because than you get a more rounded workout and things like weight lifting and cycling can be included.
I set aside time every morning, 60 minutes. My activity the rest of the day fills in the balance.
The challenging days are days you fly.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:56 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Travel days are so tiring that I don't even worry about exercise.

For me, the hard part is cruising. Sure, there are those little fitness centers, but I get seasick on a ship's treadmill, even if I'm fine on the ship itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
The challenging days are days you fly.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:01 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbooster View Post
Another vote for a dog, best company you can hope for, they will listen to all your problems offer no advice and love you unconditionally
Dogs require a lot of responsibility, compromise, and a big investment in time and energy...I know because I owned them for 25 years. Getting one solely for exercise without considering everything that goes along with ownership would be foolish.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:07 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

For me, the hard part is cruising. Sure, there are those little fitness centers, but I get seasick on a ship's treadmill, even if I'm fine on the ship itself!
Actually played Pickleball on my last cruise with some die hard players for 2 hours each day. All the exercise I needed.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:10 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Not a big cruiser, but when we travel, we walk everywhere. I can remember many 25,000+ step days.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:17 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

We take a lot of driving trips and will sometimes be in a car 10 or 12 hours. When we get to the hotel the first thing I do after getting our room is go to the hotel gym. It's a good way to get the kinks out.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:31 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I take a 45 minute morning walk every day. Not sure how many steps are involved but it's better than morning coffee for me. Luckily the dog enjoys it too and is nice enough to accompany me.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:02 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2BRetd View Post
I take a 45 minute morning walk every day. Not sure how many steps are involved but it's better than morning coffee for me. Luckily the dog enjoys it too and is nice enough to accompany me.
Everyone's stride is different, but I would guess 45 minutes gets you about 4000 - 5000 steps.