Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

3 total carb noodles (20 calories/4 oz serving)
Old 02-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

3 total carb noodles (20 calories/4 oz serving)

From the Hungry Girl blog. I haven't tried them yet but wanted to pass along because of all the low carber's among us.

House Foods Tofu Shirataki Noodle Substitute

PER SERVING (4 oz.): 20 calories, 0.5g fat, 15mg sodium, 3g carbs, 2g fiber, 0g sugars, 1g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 0*

Another product that straight-up changes lives. It's AMAZING that an entire bag of these noodles has only 40 calories. (Yes, it is totally acceptable to consume two portions at a time.) Use 'em to make HG's 99-calorie fettuccine Alfredo or the lightest lo mein this side of reality... or any of our other freakishly good noodle dishes! Sure, there's a slight period of adjustment while you get familiar with the texture and how to prepare them properly, but follow our tips and you'll be fine!

Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #2

Where do you find these other than an ethnic grocery? Amazon?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Where do you find these other than an ethnic grocery? Amazon?
They are at Amazon, though for me cheapest and handiest is Uwajimaya.

ha
Old 02-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #4

The full list of the retail stores by state can be found at: Tofu Shirataki (Low Carb Pasta) by House Foods
Old 02-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #5

Ha,

How do they taste?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #6

Do they have a taste at all is my question?

The store that carries them in Phoenix I go to.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I've never had this, but if it's like regular shirataki, the texture would be "bouncy" (for lack of a better word...)
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #8

Tasteless like rice then? Or Japanese noodles? Not much taste at all?

Are you supposed to make them and then douse them in soy sauce or something?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Like I said, I've never had shirataki that contains soy, but if this combo deal tastes like shirataki, it has a smell that I cannot describe really. Just put them in boiling water for a couple of minutes before use will help with the flavor. Shirataki is often used cooked in soy based broth as a part of a Sukiyaki dish.

Here is a link I've found
Favorite Shirataki Recipes? - Home Cooking - Chowhound

Here is the photo of Sukiyaki (with shirataki - with no soy - noodles)

Old 02-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #10

Am I the only one who thinks that plate of food looks....
Regardless, not sure if I would try this product even at such a low calorie point. I'm getting the no-taste feeling about them much.
But it is an idea if you have something to add them in, so thanks!!!
Old 02-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Ha,

How do they taste?
I don't really remember. I had them at my GF's place, substituted for ramen noodles. They seemed fine to me.

My own cooking has moved much more to very simple meat fish and vegetables, in winter stews and casseroles of meat and fish and vegetables, etc. I am not a cook who exactly likes to cook, I just like to eat and for me that means I also must cook.

Lately I have been experimenting with stuffed vegetables- sweet peppers, eggplant, cabbage leaves, etc.

Ha
Old 02-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #12

I'm a chicken/fish and produce girl. Other than yogurt and cream for my coffee--and very occasionally something from inside the grocery store aisles--I could do all my shopping on the periphery of a grocery store layout and just go along the edges of any grocery store where the fresh chicken/fish and produce are.

My new love is lots of stir-fry as it's quick, ez and perfect for one person.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I'm a chicken/fish and produce girl. Other than yogurt and cream for my coffee--and very occasionally something from inside the grocery store aisles--I could do all my shopping on the periphery of a grocery store layout and just go along the edges of any grocery store where the fresh chicken/fish and produce are.

My new love is lots of stir-fry as it's quick, ez and perfect for one person.
If you like stir-fry, I bet you could make yakisoba (stir-fry noodles with veggies/meat) with the shirataki noodles? You could try it that way to see if you like the shirataki noodles? That actually sounds pretty good.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
If you like stir-fry, I bet you could make yakisoba (stir-fry noodles with veggies/meat) with the shirataki noodles? You could try it that way to see if you like the shirataki noodles? That actually sounds pretty good.
If you want to flavor the noodles because they're bland/lack flavor, I would use a good quality sesame oil (I use Kadoya) or Oyster Sauce (not Oyster flavored sauce, Lee Kum Kee brand). A few drops of these go a long way. I even put Oyster sauce on plain white rice, mixed in to eat. Then, you can always sprinkle on some rice seasonings too for added flavor.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
If you want to flavor the noodles because they're bland/lack flavor, I would use a good quality sesame oil (I use Kadoya) or Oyster Sauce (not Oyster flavored sauce, Lee Kum Kee brand). A few drops of these go a long way. I even put Oyster sauce on plain white rice, mixed in to eat. Then, you can always sprinkle on some rice seasonings too for added flavor.
Mmmm, sesame oil!
I've always considered that one of the best secret tricks of Chinese restaurants. I keep a bottle of it handy in the kitchen. A few drops just before serving make a huge difference.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #16

From my son's suggestion, I just got into sesame oil...damn, it's wonderful!

He said to try peanut oil next.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #17
gone traveling

Dreamfields- This the best low-carb pasta I've ever tried. No discernible taste or texture difference between this and the full-carb stuff, IMO.

I buy it at netrition.com- $4.95 flat fee per order shipping and their prices beat the the local stores. They have a great selection of low-carb products, I'm also hooked on the Big Train brand pancake mix.

Started Low-carb last spring, down 40 lbs ; still have 9 to go.
Being able to eat a plate of pasta now and then and pancakes every Sunday morning has made it easy to stay on this diet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dreamfields Group.jpg (187.5 KB, 8 views)
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Started Low-carb last spring, down 40 lbs ;
Congrats Western, this is a big accomplishment.

Ha
Old 02-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

+1 on the Dreamfields.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Finally tried the tofu shirataki thingy, and it actually is much better than I thought! I tried the angel hair pasta in miso soup with sesami oil and a little roast beef pieces (mock ramen) and it could be because I haven't had ramen in a while or what; it was really tasty. The texture wasn't quite there, of course, but I didn't detect any off taste that I expected.

Since regular pasta or even Dreamfield pasta is out for me, I tried the fettucini tofu shirataki pasta and made pasta alfredo and it was pretty good too. But anything is good with butter, heavy cream, and cheese!