Join Early Retirement Today

8 Foods Worth Buying Frozen
Old 03-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

8 Foods Worth Buying Frozen

Some no surprise, but others were to me. Of course it depends a lot on how the item is being used (ie, frozen blueberries are fine in many recipes, but not as good for eating alone). FWIW

8 Foods That Are Worth Buying Frozen Slideshow | The Daily Meal

Carrots
Broccoli
Cherries
Bell Peppers
Spinach
Cauliflower
Berries
Butternut Squash

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the link. We have started buying more frozen produce just to avoid waste. Otherwise with perishable produce we don't always use it up before it is too late.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I just started buying all my broccoli and cauliflower frozen. Once it's steamed I honestly can't tell a difference in the taste or texture.

In the summer I grow a bunch of bell peppers and freeze them for winter use. Red bell peppers are so expensive too, but I can get a lot of peppers off a $2 plant.
hausfrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hausfrau View Post
I just started buying all my broccoli and cauliflower frozen. Once it's steamed I honestly can't tell a difference in the taste or texture.

Red bell peppers are so expensive too, but I can get a lot of peppers off a $2 plant.
We eat fresh, lightly steamed broccoli at least once a week. I guess we'll have to try frozen broc, I always assumed it would come out like a 'mushy' substitute for fresh.

I've often thought of just keeping a mirepoix (onion-celery-carrots) and/or holy trinity (onion-celery-pepper) on hand in the freezer instead of buying fresh as well always do now...

Old 03-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks! From personal experience I would also add peas to this list. I can't tell the difference with them either.
GandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandK View Post
Thanks! From personal experience I would also add peas to this list. I can't tell the difference with them either.
Agreed, and corn (except when on the cob is in season). We keep both on hand in the freezer.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

They forgot ice cream on that list.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
We eat fresh, lightly steamed broccoli at least once a week. I guess we'll have to try frozen broc, I always assumed it would come out like a 'mushy' substitute for fresh.
We buy ours at Costco (like Sam's or BJ's). I think there are 4-5 smaller bags inside, which also helps with freezer burn. I'm kind of a broccoli snob, and I honestly cannot tell the difference. It's especially good in stir fry.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #9

I grow 3 of these and a 4th I used to but don't now. I would not buy any of these frozen with the exception of berries. Now peas I buy frozen, why aren't they on that list? In season I grow them but other than that 30-40 day period I see no other option. We used to eat canned peas as kids, no wonder kids don't like peas!
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #10

we buy alot of frozen Kale for use in smoothies
Old 03-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #11

Agree that (tiny little) peas and corn should also be on the list. Frozen berries are good in some applications but aren't really a substitute for fresh. And although I do keep frozen broccoli on hand, I think fresh really does taste better when it's just plain steamed. We eat enough of it that it never goes bad, anyway.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Salmon

I guess the list was only for fruits and veggies?

I don't see anything on the list I would prefer frozen except for spinach - and that's just in certain applications. Texture is very important to me, and for most fruits and veggies, freezing them changes their texture dramatically.

Veggies I like frozen - green peas, okra, collard greens, any kind of field peas.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Obviously they exist, but I don't know if I've seen fresh peas in a grocery store or even at a farmers market. I've never used anything but frozen.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I've often thought of just keeping a mirepoix (onion-celery-carrots) and/or holy trinity (onion-celery-pepper) on hand in the freezer instead of buying fresh as well always do now...
That could work.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Obviously they exist, but I don't know if I've seen fresh peas in a grocery store or even at a farmers market. I've never used anything but frozen.
Frequently available in the Pacific Northwest. Otherwise, highly seasonal.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I love Trader Joe's frozen red raspberries. They are especially good in plain yogurt.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Salmon
How to find decent brand of frozen salmon? I did buy a bag of it: we ate about a half-piece each and threw out the rest of the bag.
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I just picked up some frozen cheese tortellini and will cook it (them?) in chicken broth.

Otherwise we buy frozen broccoli, peas, sweet corn, blueberries and cherries. We also saute frozen green beans in butter til they're brown.

My sister-in-law swears by frozen bread dough which she uses to make cinnamon rolls.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Some no surprise, but others were to me. Of course it depends a lot on how the item is being used (ie, frozen blueberries are fine in many recipes, but not as good for eating alone). FWIW

8 Foods That Are Worth Buying Frozen Slideshow | The Daily Meal

Carrots
Broccoli
Cherries
Bell Peppers
Spinach
Cauliflower
Berries
Butternut Squash
But, But, but.. there's no meat!
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou View Post
How to find decent brand of frozen salmon? I did buy a bag of it: we ate about a half-piece each and threw out the rest of the bag.
First of all, I only buy Alaskan sockeye, coho(silver), or king. And I buy it in the original frozen packaging. Usually sockeye is what is available. King and coho are usually only available fresh.

HEB and Costco carry Trident brand which is a good one.

I have been buying whole sides (fillet of half the fish) in the original Trident packaging. It might have been frozen while still on the boat, or very shortly thereafter.

Transport of salmon to South Texas - pretty far from point of origin, so I am always skeptical of the quality of "fresh" salmon.

But fish and shellfish freeze marvelously well as long as its done very close to harvest.