9 Surprising Foods With More Sugar Than a Krispy Kreme Doughnut

I remember reading where grapefruit juice has more sugar than an equivalent amount of sugary cola beverage.

Very interesting, although I'm thinking most of those items are much better for you overall than the donut (or 6-pack of donuts). Definitely makes you think twice about the stuff that goes into your body! :eek:

LMGTFY...

Grapefruit juice ~ 18g
Coke ~ 44g

And at least there are some vitamins in juice.

Oh gawd, I can't let my DH see this. His dream is to lie down on the conveyor belt at Krispy Kreme with the liquid sugar waterfall flowing directly into his mouth.

LMGTFY...

Grapefruit juice ~ 18g
Coke ~ 44g

And at least there are some vitamins in juice.

Well, that's for "one grapefruit". Comparing like volumes seems more fair to me.

This source http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/HHFS_JUICE_GRAPEFRUIT_BOTTLE_100896Nov2012.pdf reports 8 oz. of "GRAPEFRUIT JUICE, UNSWEETENED, BOTTLE" has 22 g of sugar.

This site Calories in The Coca-Cola Company - Coca-Cola classic | Nutrition and Health Facts reports that 8 oz. of Coke has 26.4 g of sugar. Calories in Coca-Cola Classic Coca-Cola | Nutrition, Carbohydrate and Calorie Counter shows 25 g, so roughly the same amount).

For comparison 8 oz of orange juice is 21 g of sugar Orange Juice Facts | Nutrition.

Personally, I stopped drinking juice about the same time I gave up sugary soda. Neither seems especially healthy to me.

Oh gawd, I can't let my DH see this. His dream is to lie down on the conveyor belt at Krispy Kreme with the liquid sugar waterfall flowing directly into his mouth.
Has he ever been to one of the stores that actually makes them on site? If he likes Krispy Kreme doughnuts, he won't believe how much better a fresh one right off "the line" is. It's pretty unbelievable...I was shocked. The only one I've seen was in Riverside CA (if it's still there), I'd never go back in there, too dangerous...

Since I'm being a pest ;-)

Also note that in the original article in Mother Jones they are using the "Original Glazed" donut from Krispy Creme. It's by far the lowest calorie donut they sell at 190 calories and 10 g of sugar.

For comparison their Glazed Kreme Filling donut has 340 calories and 22 g of sugar...

http://www.krispykremetexas.com/pdfs/Nutritional Website 12-1-2010.pdf

Obviously, they are trying to make a point...

Well, that's for "one grapefruit". Comparing like volumes seems more fair to me.

This source http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/HHFS_JUICE_GRAPEFRUIT_BOTTLE_100896Nov2012.pdf reports 8 oz. of "GRAPEFRUIT JUICE, UNSWEETENED, BOTTLE" has 22 g of sugar.

This site Calories in The Coca-Cola Company - Coca-Cola classic | Nutrition and Health Facts reports that 8 oz. of Coke has 26.4 g of sugar. Calories in Coca-Cola Classic Coca-Cola | Nutrition, Carbohydrate and Calorie Counter shows 25 g, so roughly the same amount).

For comparison 8 oz of orange juice is 21 g of sugar Orange Juice Facts | Nutrition.

Personally, I stopped drinking juice about the same time I gave up sugary soda. Neither seems especially healthy to me.

http://www.fitsugar.com/Juice-Grapefruit-vs-Orange-3750081

That article is classic cherry picking.

Take the example of vitamin water - which they claim to be 3.2 donuts.

If you are looking strictly at sugar you could be right.

But looking at total nutrition you get a different picture.

Vitamin water = 120 calories - carbs are all from sugar. Has 32g's of carbs according to the label.
Krispy Kreme = 200 calories - only 10 g's from sugar - but has lots of fat and other carbs. 22 grams of carbs (the dough, duh!) and 12 grams of fat.

Which would my kids rather have - the donut. Which would I rather my kids have - the VW. (Which is what we give them at basketball and baseball games rather than gatorade as a healthier alternative to rehydrate and get a little sugar boost)

Sources:
http://www.vitaminwater.com/vitaminwater_2013_NutritionFacts.pdf

Krispy Kreme Original Glazed Calorie Counter (CalorieLab)

I have never sampled a Krispy Kreme product.
And on the list, only Yoplait yogurt, I guess I don't know what I am missing. :)

Warm KK donuts are like crack!

One problem with both donuts and soft drinks is the likelihood of eating/drinking much more than one "serving"...

I don't believe the studies support the whole "sugar is poison" crowd, though it's best to get in whole foods.

I really do think that 'soft drinks' were sweetened to the level of fruit juices, because that was likely the 'standard' that we got accustomed to.

And maybe it isn't coincidence that the pre-fermentation sugar content of a typical mid-strength beer is right in that range as well. But that sugar mostly gets converted to our friend ethanol.

-ERD50

I can't stand the sweetened yogurts, a la Yoplait. Precious little yogurt, lots of sugary glop. Best to buy plain yogurt and flavor/sweeten it to taste. And don't get me started on the awful pseudo-yogurt (a la "Gogurt") marketed to kids.

Amethyst

I can't stand the sweetened yogurts, a la Yoplait. Precious little yogurt, lots of sugary glop. Best to buy plain yogurt and flavor/sweeten it to taste. And don't get me started on the awful pseudo-yogurt (a la "Gogurt") marketed to kids.

+1

Real, whole milk yogurt, an be wonderful when made right. Alas most of the plain yoghurt in the USA is this bitter, nasty stuff that hurts going down.

+1

Real, whole milk yogurt, an be wonderful when made right. Alas most of the plain yoghurt in the USA is this bitter, nasty stuff that hurts going down.

Chuckanut I am not sure if you are talking about store bought or homemade but homemade yogurt is so much richer tasting than the store bought. Throw in some fresh fruit or reduce some fruit with a small amount of real maple syrup and add a little into it... Tasty stuff and so easy with the added benefit of zero preservatives!

+1

I have to wholeheartedly agree. Started with sugary yoplait, then on to Dannon, then onto Chobani, and just bought my first vat of Fage plain yogurt. Man it that stuff awesome. Who knew you could get so much protein in ice cream. I load up a cup with tons of cinnamon, chopped pecan, a little honey, and some flax seed for the omega-3s. A delicious lunch that easily holds me over till dinner time.

I have to wholeheartedly agree. Started with sugary yoplait, then on to Dannon, then onto Chobani, and just bought my first vat of Fage plain yogurt. Man it that stuff awesome. Who knew you could get so much protein in ice cream. I load up a cup with tons of cinnamon, chopped pecan, a little honey, and some flax seed for the omega-3s. A delicious lunch that easily holds me over till dinner time.
Trader Joe's has full fat greek style. You're right...it's an appitite stomper! Very satisfying!

Chuckanut I am not sure if you are talking about store bought or homemade but homemade yogurt is so much richer tasting than the store bought. Throw in some fresh fruit or reduce some fruit with a small amount of real maple syrup and add a little into it... Tasty stuff and so easy with the added benefit of zero preservatives!

I am talking about the big name brand yoghurts sold in super markets. Most are terrible, IMHO. I imagine that homemade yogurt is much better.

TJ's also has whole milk European style yogurt which is good, though not the best I have tasted of the commercial brands.

TJ's also has whole milk European style yogurt which is good, though not the best I have tasted of the commercial brands.
Trader Joe's European Style Chocolate yogurt is excellent ... as a dessert item. The grocey store brand called Siggi's is also lightly sweetened compared to the competition and can be a tasty dessert. To me plain yogurt is just fine unsweetened or with berries or other fruit, but I agree, most of the pre-sweetened stuff is just horribly sweet. Sweetness is a matter of what you are used to, just like salt.

Has he ever been to one of the stores that actually makes them on site? If he likes Krispy Kreme doughnuts, he won't believe how much better a fresh one right off "the line" is. It's pretty unbelievable...I was shocked. The only one I've seen was in Riverside CA (if it's still there), I'd never go back in there, too dangerous...

Oh, yeah. When we drive by, he almost breaks his neck trying to see if the "Hot Now" sign is lit. :D

Since I'm being a pest ;-)

Also note that in the original article in Mother Jones they are using the "Original Glazed" donut from Krispy Creme. It's by far the lowest calorie donut they sell at 190 calories and 10 g of sugar.

And their only good donut IMO. Hot off the conveyor belt is ridiculously amazing.

I have to have a donut the second they finish making them. I ate one that had been sitting around for a short while and it wasn't the same. Defeated the purpose of eating a raised donut. The texture was different. But I don't eat many donuts anyway.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom