Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2016, 11:16 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The earth would be too crowded if we have immortality. We have enough problem competing for resources as it is. So thanks but no thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 03:51 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Why wouldn't an extended life span have the same quality as it does now?

All things being equal, one could assume that someone who today lives to 90 that started to go downhill at 85, that with an extended life to age 130 they would start to go downhill at 120 - 125 rather than at 85.
That's not what I've seen so far. My line of work put me in contact with people of all ages. I occasionally saw 90 year olds who could still walk, but that was the extent of their mobility, and they were rare. Of those rare birds who make it to their 90s and beyond, nearly all of them are barely mobile AT BEST. The essentials are still working to the extent that they can breathe, the heart is ticking, brain function may or may not be full, but the muscles, the sinew, the joints...all break down after a 7 or 8 or 9 decades.
Now if we are talking "eternal youth" vs. "eternal life", maybe that comes with another set of challenges (I'm still not sure I'd want), but if we are talking "eternal aging"....nah...not for me, thanks.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:04 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Any theories as to why they capped us at 100, but then punished us with being demented during the last 2 decades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
I believe we were created by the original humans (aliens who came here), we were cloned in their image. They lived thousands of years, while our DNAs are capped around 100 years old. We were created in their image so they have slaves to do their bidding on this planet (mine gold), but they genetically engineered us to have a shorter life span. .
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:28 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

This all sounds a tad von Däniken-ish.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:25 AM   #45

There have already been talks about brain transplants. Imagine if a human brain could be transplanted in a 20-year-old body? It may live forever.

Soon, if not already, human organs will able to be grown in a lab. It is already possible to grow them in a human body. The next transition will be to grow organs in a human body that can be harvested.

Growing embryos invitro, then implanting them in a surrogate for the specific purpose of organ harvesting, will be next. The surrogate might be a human, or a lab.

The embryo that is implanted will be modified and be clinically brain-dead. That is, it will need food and nutrients, but will not be technically ‘alive’ from our current medical standards. It can be allowed to ‘grow’ for several years until the parts are of sufficient size.

Organs can be harvested as they are needed. One kidney or lung, a piece of skin, or even part of a liver will be no problem to harvest. If you need a heart, simply unplug the machine, let the organism go dormant, and take the part. Wealthier people may want several clones to enable retrieval of these spare parts.

Once this becomes common place, entire rooms can be filled with these clones, waiting for their parts to be needed. All the DNA will be known. They can be slowly automatically rotated as to avoid bed sores, similar to a roasted chicken on a spit. All they would need is a source of nutrition while they wait for their ultimate purpose. They could be used for blood plasma and bone marrow donations while they wait.

It may not be immortality, but I think you could get quite a few more years out of a body by changing parts.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:06 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Wait till Robby gets pissed at your poking him around and moving his cheese...
That's what I though. That and "we're building freaking Skynet."
Old 02-29-2016, 07:11 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
The earth would be too crowded if we have immortality. We have enough problem competing for resources as it is. So thanks but no thanks.
The earth is a big, big place. As it is, the entire world's 7 B people could fit in a city the size of Texas if it had the population density of NYC. So there's plenty of room.

Of course we already have the technology to limit population size - it's called birth control.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:14 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
There have already been talks about brain transplants. Imagine if a human brain could be transplanted in a 20-year-old body? It may live forever.
That's the best reason why we may never "cure" cancer . . . we probably won't need to.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:14 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
The earth is a big, big place. As it is, the entire world's 7 B people could fit in a city the size of Texas if it had the population density of NYC. So there's plenty of room.

Of course we already have the technology to limit population size - it's called birth control.
Of course, there is the problem, of where too grow food for all those people. Much of the ground in the world is unusable due to mountains, etc.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I've met quite a few humans who could use a brain transplant. Or, more accurately, a brain implant...

Speaking of The Matrix...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0427101633.htm

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Of course, there is the problem, of where too grow food for all those people. Much of the ground in the world is unusable due to mountains, etc.
Soylen Green.

What do you think they're going to do with all those "spare" body parts?

More seriously, I'm not terribly concerned about resources. Malthus penned his thoughts about how population growth would outstrip the planet's resources more than 200 years ago. He wasn't even close.

I also think population overcrowding is already basically taking care of itself with birthrates declining as wealth increases.

You also have to assume that immortality tech isn't something that's going to be freely available to everyone. The people who can pay to live forever are the very people who tend not to have many children.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:16 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Speaking of The Matrix...

Is the universe a hologram?
It increasingly seems that way.

The recent discovery of gravitational waves means that everything we think of as solid is actually wobbling around like jello as the fabric of space time gets stretched and compressed by gravity. Once you imagine that, nothing seems real any more.

Scientists even set up a clever little experiment using lasers to show that it was true.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:31 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've seen where irrigation can have amazing plant growth results in the desert.......massive desalination could (possibly) transform many areas.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
the entire world's 7 B people could fit in a city the size of Texas
Not if REWahoo has anything to say about it.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #55

I pride myself in keeping older cars and appliances "going and going" by understanding, often up front, how I will be able to access spare parts.

3D printing age may make this even easier going forward.

I have had similar thoughts about human beings, myself in particular. Would still have to avoid something like invasive cancer however...

We are already going down this road with routine replacement of deteriorated joints (ie hips/knees/shoulders etc.) with artificial "spares".

I often wonder how much of death is the person eventually giving up.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Sounds like a good business case to me for space colonization.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:27 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

It requires no faith or even significant stretch of the imagination to envision technology advancing to the point that the entire electro-chemical pattern in your brain is mapped and stored in order to be reloaded into a lab grown host of such age you choose. Alternatively you may choose to remain inside a quantum processor with augmented sensory input.

50 years to 100 years out maybe? I may not make it, but some of your children may live in this time.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... Growing embryos invitro, then implanting them in a surrogate for the specific purpose of organ harvesting, will be next. The surrogate might be a human, or a lab.

The embryo that is implanted will be modified and be clinically brain-dead. That is, it will need food and nutrients, but will not be technically ‘alive’ from our current medical standards. It can be allowed to ‘grow’ for several years until the parts are of sufficient size.

Organs can be harvested as they are needed. One kidney or lung, a piece of skin, or even part of a liver will be no problem to harvest. If you need a heart, simply unplug the machine, let the organism go dormant, and take the part. Wealthier people may want several clones to enable retrieval of these spare parts...
I happened to watch Never Let Me Go, a 2010 British movie with this theme based on a dystopian novel of the same name by Kazuo Ishiguro. The novel was fairly acclaimed, as well as the movie. It's a drama, so science fiction fans looking for an action movie should not bother.

By the way, I also discovered that this author's novel The Remains of the Day was the source for a movie of the same title. He's a British author living in England, and this explains the background of his novels.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Yes, extending life @ la Tithonus doesn't sound appealing at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
That's not what I've seen so far. My line of work put me in contact with people of all ages. I occasionally saw 90 year olds who could still walk, but that was the extent of their mobility, and they were rare. Of those rare birds who make it to their 90s and beyond, nearly all of them are barely mobile AT BEST. The essentials are still working to the extent that they can breathe, the heart is ticking, brain function may or may not be full, but the muscles, the sinew, the joints...all break down after a 7 or 8 or 9 decades.
Now if we are talking "eternal youth" vs. "eternal life", maybe that comes with another set of challenges (I'm still not sure I'd want), but if we are talking "eternal aging"....nah...not for me, thanks.
Eternal aging? Please spare me.

You describe my father-in-law in his last few years. At the end, he once told my wife "I do not want to live so long". When you lose the mobility of the arms to the point you cannot scratch your nose, it's tough.

The reason that life expectancy has been improving was due to several factors, and modern medicine played a big role but it may not be as many expect.

Infant mortality is reduced. Infectious diseases are also no longer a major cause of death. When people get older, drugs help prevent strokes, and there are better treatments for acute symptoms. Many cancer patients get a few more years of life as a return for surgeries and miserable chemotherapy.

But other than the above, they cannot help much with the natural aging. When you can no longer swallow, they will insert tubes to keep you alive. Weak lung capacity? Put them on oxygen. That gets them a few more years.

I suspect not too many people hang around older people, particularly those in hospitals, recovery centers, or nursing homes to see for themselves. And some don't even want to go visit their parents or relatives. So, they stay in denial mode.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #60

No birth and no death here!!!
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote