Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-29-2016, 01:03 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone watched the 2011 movie In Time?

In Time (2011) - IMDb

The premise is a world where people are essentially immortal, stopping aging at 25 (thus eternally young as well), but programmed to die at 26 unless they gain more "time." "Time" is literally the currency in this world. You use it to pay your rent, buy food, etc. and you gain it by working and presumably investments. But when you "time" runs out, you die.

That's one way to keep an "immortal" population in check, though I doubt any age-extending advancement would be universally applied, at least at the outset.

To that end, how much is this going to cost and how long am I going to have to keep working to afford it?
AnonEMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 01:18 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEMouse View Post
Anyone watched the 2011 movie In Time?

In Time (2011) - IMDb
Sounds like Logan's Run revisited:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan%27s_Run_(film)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:30 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Sounds like Logan's Run revisited:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan%27s_Run_(film)
I forgot about that one. Though instead of an automatic death sentence after a certain age, you can live forever if you're rich enough in the world of In Time.

This also brings Elysium to mind, where the rich float above the impoverished Earth in their own eternal world with machines that get rid of cancer and other ills with the press of a button.

Unfortunately some malcontent always have to ruin the party for the privileged. That means any real breakthrough in our world would be highly secret. Which probably explains that Bill Gates interview - he probably slipped up and said too much.

Yup folks, you heard it here first, Steve Jobs did NOT die of cancer. He just got some identity changing plastic surgery and is living it up as an anonymous billionaire trotting about the world.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

It's been a while since I watched Logan's Run, but I do not think people in that movie have an option to live longer. That movie In Time requires you to work for credit or die. If your work is low pay or if inflation runs high, you have to work 24/7 just to stay alive. That's tough! I checked and the local library does not have it.

About Elysium which I watched recently, it was not clear why the rich people would not share their wonderful machines that could fix any bodily injury or illness. After all, the underclass would be kept in good health to work and to produce for the elite to just enjoy life.

And Bill Gates might just have been talked up by researchers who promised him the wonderful anti-aging/anti-cancer drug that they had been working on, in order for Bill to redirect some of his philantropic funds. It's OK to me if it becomes true, and Bill gets to enjoy it first. Hey, I believe in trickled down economy and medicine too. I just have to stay even healthier than Bill to wait for my turn because the line between me and him is fairly long. By the way, in the interview, Bill did not look bad, but still a lot older than me, so I don't think he got that pill yet.

About Steve Jobs, I doubt that his personality would allow him to fade away even if he could. Steve retiring? No way. He would be all over the Internet screaming about that recent FBI court order.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:08 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Immortality? Nah my plan is reincarnation. Hopefully I will manage to come back at least as a dog in the US.

BTW, does anybody know what is the longest lived animal with a similar metabolic rate to humans (i.e. no tortoises or clams). Perhaps scientists can start transplanting various aging genes in a similar manner to GFP.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:10 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It's been a while since I watched Logan's Run, but I do not think people in that movie have an option to live longer. That movie In Time requires you to work for credit or die.
Take a basic premise and tweak/invert it......hey, a whole new movie.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
About Steve Jobs, I doubt that his personality would allow him to fade away even if he could. Steve retiring? No way. He would be all over the Internet screaming about that recent FBI court order.
Oh, you mean "Crazy Steve?" No one believes him, he doesn't even look remotely like Steve Jobs.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:14 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
BTW, does anybody know what is the longest lived animal with a similar metabolic rate to humans (i.e. no tortoises or clams). Perhaps scientists can start transplanting various aging genes in a similar manner to GFP.
Elephants? They also have the advantage of cancer suppressing genes too.

Elephant genes hold big hopes for cancer researchers | PBS NewsHour
Old 02-29-2016, 02:22 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Immortality? Nah my plan is reincarnation. Hopefully I will manage to come back at least as a dog in the US.

A dog in a 3rd-world country may have a tough time (to even survive among people), but it will not get neutered as dogs in the US. Hmmm... Tough choice.

About gene splicing, good thing you rule out clams. It's a big trade-off for longevity if you have to look like Jabba the Hutt and leave a slimy trail wherever you go crawl.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
The earth is a big, big place. As it is, the entire world's 7 B people could fit in a city the size of Texas if it had the population density of NYC. So there's plenty of room.

Of course we already have the technology to limit population size - it's called birth control.

Not many people want to live in Texas. I know for California, it's already to crowded even with the high real estate prices compare to Texas.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Not many people want to live in Texas.
Thankfully, just a lot of divorced women...

Old 02-29-2016, 03:03 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
That's not what I've seen so far. My line of work put me in contact with people of all ages. I occasionally saw 90 year olds who could still walk, but that was the extent of their mobility, and they were rare. Of those rare birds who make it to their 90s and beyond, nearly all of them are barely mobile AT BEST. The essentials are still working to the extent that they can breathe, the heart is ticking, brain function may or may not be full, but the muscles, the sinew, the joints...all break down after a 7 or 8 or 9 decades.

Now if we are talking "eternal youth" vs. "eternal life", maybe that comes with another set of challenges (I'm still not sure I'd want), but if we are talking "eternal aging"....nah...not for me, thanks.

My ex-neighbors were 94 and 98. The wife had cancer but recover and she was very mobile. I often saw her sweeping the sidewalk, she was so cute and could easily passed for 60s. Another relative died at 104, she had a heart bypass surgery at 84, but extremely sharp. She remembered which video that she already watched. I don't think I can now. I think it's safe to say not everybody will breakdown once they reach their 90s. The Seventh Day Adventist people seem to age well in their 90s, must be their vegetarian diet.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-29-2016, 03:10 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

It really depends on quality of life for me. 2 of my grandparents just died of old age and 2 really suffered with cancer. My Mom got 3 bouts of serious cancer at 78, 84 & 87 but still had quality of life. She lived alone until a week before she died. My Dad on the other hand suffered for 14 long years and then died at 73. I have a good friend in a home now with early Alzheimer's fairly bad off at 64 but now her cancer is back.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Take a basic premise and tweak/invert it......hey, a whole new movie.
But I like to have the option of being allowed to live if I work. When I get tired and do not want to go on anymore, I can just put down my pick ax and say "I am ready. Take me home".

So, I like the premise of the 2nd movie better.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
The Seventh Day Adventist people seem to age well in their 90s, must be their vegetarian diet.
I would be skeptical of that. I believe it's mainly in the genes.

Jeanne Calment, the oldest person ever (122) is a great example:

Quote:
Calment's remarkable health presaged her later record. At age 85 (1960), she took up fencing, and continued to ride her bicycle up until her 100th birthday. She was reportedly neither athletic nor fanatical about her health...

Calment lived on her own until shortly before her 110th birthday
However, Calment was still in good shape, and continued to walk until she fractured her femur during a fall at age 114 years 11 months (January 1990), which required surgery...

It has been claimed that Calment smoked cigarettes from the age of 21 (1896) to 117 (1992). According to one source, she smoked no more than two cigarettes per day...

Calment ascribed her longevity and relatively youthful appearance for her age to a diet rich in olive oil (which she also rubbed onto her skin), as well as a diet of port wine, and ate nearly one kilogram (2.2 lb) of chocolate every week. She also credited her calmness, saying, "That's why they call me Calment." Calment reportedly remained mentally intact until her very end.
I have also personally known two people who remained mentally sharp past the age of 100, but I don't believe it's possible to predict who might become a centenarian.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:17 PM   #76

Quote:
A dog in a 3rd-world country may have a tough time (to even survive among people), but it will not get neutered as dogs in the US. Hmmm... Tough choice.
I forgot about neutering so maybe not a dog .

Recently I met several people here that commented that dogs in the US have it so good. One fellow's wife complained that his dog eats more meat in a single meal than a whole family would have in cuba for a week (dog was on a raw food diet with real pork chops etc).

I guess I'm partly to blame as well as I spent way more on medical care for my dog than I have on myself. I even got a wagon to pull her around when she had difficulty walking.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

There's usually a price to pay if you want a sheltered and pampered life. One needs to know in advance to see if he wants to proceed.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:24 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonEMouse View Post
Elephants? They also have the advantage of cancer suppressing genes too.
Hmm elephants don't seem to make the list (from Animals that live the longest - Business Insider)

Although I guess if we can eliminate cancer that will help us reach our potential.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 3.19.49 PM.png (565.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-29-2016, 05:08 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I would be skeptical of that. I believe it's mainly in the genes.
Actually, it's not. The longest-lived areas of the world are genetically diverse. History of the Blue Zones
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
Actually, it's not. The longest-lived areas of the world are genetically diverse. History of the Blue Zones
What I meant was that if you have the right genetic makeup, you have much more of a chance of seeing 100 than the next person, regardless of your respective lifestyles.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote