AARP MediGap plan and age 65 discount? But not quite 65?

NXR7

Recycles dryer sheets
AARP says you can get a 39% discount if you're age 65 when your plan takes effect.

Their website says I need to start the plan on the first of a month.

I am covered by Medicare on the first day of the month I was born when I'm still 64 and AARP's enrollment page FAQ is explicit about the discount being age 65 and not when first eligible for Medicare.

So do I have to wait a month to get enrolled for their MediGap policy so I'm actually 65 on the day it takes effect in order to get the discount? Their chat system never answers and the phone lines are interminable.

Has anyone here started their AARP MediGap coverage when you were first eligible for Medicare and received the discount even though you were still 64 at the time?

Thanks,

Ray

I think you are assuming a different angle than what they are saying.

I believe the
...AARP's enrollment page FAQ is explicit about the discount being age 65 and not when first eligible for Medicare.
is to differentiate out the disabled people who are on pre-age 65 Medicare coverage. They have their own distinct applicable rate tables for AARP/UHC Medigap coverage for below age 65.

I think you will be fine. If AARP/UHC was doing what you are concerned about, they would be shut out of the lucrative new to Medicare folks.

I transferred over to AARP/UHC Plan N from another insurance company when I was a month or two short of turning 66. But when I signed up for the other companies plan, I was actually 64, but coverage wouldn't begin until the first of the month that I turned 65. At the first of that month, I was still 64. For starting coverage, Medicare uses the month that you turn 65, not your actual birth date in that month.

Last edited:
NXR7, I turn 65 on June 1st and hence in my case Medicare starts for me one month earlier on May 1st (64 and 11 months). I have signed up for the AARP Medigap plan G commencing on May 1st with the AARP 39% discounted rate. In fact, you receive an extra $2 discount a month by signing up for Auto payment from your bank account. There were never any issues or questions surrounding if I was 64 going on 65 or not.

Hope this helps,
Peter

DH starting AARP/UHC Medigap plan May 1 with 65th birthday in May. He signed up in March via Boomer Benefits. He is getting the standard discount - which is the discount to their community-rated plan.

Last edited:
The 39% discount is added back at a rate of 3% a year along with any actual rate increases. It is a good discount, but it does disappear over time. I like UHC and have them for my coverage with an Advantage plan. I was insured with them through work for over 30 years without a problem.

The 39% discount is added back at a rate of 3% a year along with any actual rate increases. It is a good discount, but it does disappear over time. I like UHC and have them for my coverage with an Advantage plan. I was insured with them through work for over 30 years without a problem.

True. On the other hand, attained age rated plans (virtually every other plan available to me) have annual increases on the premiums as one ages, where AARP stays flat. Everyone pays the same "base" premium. There will be rate increases due to the cost of providing the coverage regardless of community or age based plans. Our state website shows each plan's premiums for every 5 years of age. It is very obvious that the AARP plan was the better financial choice for us.

True. On the other hand, attained age rated plans (virtually every other plan available to me) have annual increases on the premiums as one ages, where AARP stays flat. Everyone pays the same "base" premium. There will be rate increases due to the cost of providing the coverage regardless of community or age based plans. Our state website shows each plan's premiums for every 5 years of age. It is very obvious that the AARP plan was the better financial choice for us.

I agree with you about the plan discount being better than others.

Best wishes,

VW

Thanks, folks. I was thinking there would be a big outcry if "65" really meant "65". Telly's response seems the most likely reason.

Three more months of COBRA...

And then my wife gets to start her own new 18 months on my COBRA because I did not use the full 18 months. Whew. :)

This whole multi-year age difference between us thing was not even a consideration when we got married decades ago.

Ray

Back
Top Bottom