ACA and In State Move

Katsmeow

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am trying to figure out what my son needs to do with his in state move and his marketplace ACA policy.

He recently moved to take a job in another part of the state. He had an ACA policy that was placed for him by Via Benefits as he gets an HRA due to DH's retirement benefits for kids. So DS never himself applied at the Marketplace or created an account there because Via Benefits did it all.

He has a Blue Cross policy that is available in his new locale. It has a different plan ID number but is identical. I called Via Benefits (with his permission) and they said to start by calling Blue Cross as sometimes they will internally change the address. He called Blue Cross and they said you have to call the marketplace.

I looked at the marketplace on moves. There is one page that talks about special enrollment and requires a lot of stuff to change. It is very elaborate as to what is required.

https://www.healthcare.gov/help/prove-move/

If he had a lease for a new apartment he could do it. But, he hasn't found a permanent place and has been staying in an AirBnB (a room in someone's house) and will still be there another several weeks (at least). So he has no documentation proving he lives there.

But healthcare.gov says that if you move within the state coverage options and savings probably won't change

https://www.healthcare.gov/reporting-changes/when-you-move/

Then this page seems to imply that you can just call to get them to update your application to change the address if in state:

https://www.healthcare.gov/reporting-changes/how-to-report-changes/#online

Has anyone dealt with an in state move where you are keeping the same plan?

A couple of factors that may or may not make a difference:

1. The plan is about $20 a month cheaper at the new locale.

2. He is not eligible for a subsidy as he is using an HRA to pay for most of the cost.

3. As mentioned, he doesn't have a login to Healthcare.gov as Via Benefits did the application for him. The only concern I have there is that if they DO want documentation of his move, it says that they let you know that on your account on healthcare.gov but he has no account. I assume that technically there is one that Via Benefits created but he doesn't know any of the login info. I would hate for them to put something in the account wanting more info and him not knowing it. But, will that come up with an in state move.

4. If they do want documentation of where he lives, he thinks he can get a letter from his landlord (the owner of the AirBnB). The instructions say she would have to prove HER residence which I guess she could do through a utility bill. Or maybe I could do a letter (it says family can do one if nothing else is available). But, again, I don't know if any of this will be needed for an in state move.

Has anyone dealt with this?

Cut the cord. Time for DS to figure out his own health insurance.

I would just call the marketplace and see what they suggest. I think this is where it will be solved.

Cut the cord. Time for DS to figure out his own health insurance.

There's nothing wrong with a parent assisting, but if the parent is doing too much of the work, that's a different matter. First sentence of the OP suggests the latter might be the case. Unless the son can't make his own phone calls for some reason, he should be doing this. He should be participating in the process to a great degree, even if OP's assistance is needed for some reason.

Concern never goes away. At some point, a parent has to say, "What are YOU going to do about this?" Lay out some steps to take if needed.

Disclaimer: I have 2 adult children, a daughter, and a son with autism and severe congenital hearing loss in one ear. Naturally, I've had to advocate for my son over the years to a much greater degree than my daughter. Even so, I've seen how much more beneficial it is for him when I take the time to help him learn to do things more independently, than if I were to continue doing everything for him. It's better for both of us in the long run. He sometimes picks up on things slower and needs more frequent reminding before things "take", but it is what it is. And how much easier it is with my daughter, who has no such issues. :)

How can it be the same plan if it has a different Plan ID and price? Even though the marketplace says his options "probably" won't change because he moved within the state, that's not the same as "definitely" won't change. I think he needs a special enrollment period since he's changing to a new plan with a different Plan ID mid-year.

He should call Via Benefits back and tell them that he took their advice and spoke with Blue Cross but they aren't able to do this change on their end, so he needs help in taking the next steps. Via should handle this exactly the same way they would if he had moved to a different state.

He could also try creating a marketplace account and see what happens. If he enters his SSN, the system may be able to locate his current plan and display it in a new account.

The plan name is identical and the coverage is identical. The price is different and the ID number is different because in a different part of the state.

I help DS with this because of the HRA and Via Benefits aspect. For example the HRA reimbursement comes to me because it is a household HRA.

DS is making the calls himself to the insurer and marketplace. I posted here because I thought someone might have had an in state move and if so might have had experience with how the marketplace handled it.

My ACA HC insurance co. does not exist in Chicago. It only provides in network HC downstate. Plans and insurance co vary all over the state.

The plan name is identical and the coverage is identical. The price is different and the ID number is different because in a different part of the state.
That means it's a different plan, and the deductible resets to 0.

How can it be the same plan if it has a different Plan ID and price? Even though the marketplace says his options "probably" won't change because he moved within the state, that's not the same as "definitely" won't change. I think he needs a special enrollment period since he's changing to a new plan with a different Plan ID mid-year.

He should call Via Benefits back and tell them that he took their advice and spoke with Blue Cross but they aren't able to do this change on their end, so he needs help in taking the next steps. Via should handle this exactly the same way they would if he had moved to a different state.

He could also try creating a marketplace account and see what happens. If he enters his SSN, the system may be able to locate his current plan and display it in a new account.
I agree with this.

I help DS with this because of the HRA and Via Benefits aspect. For example the HRA reimbursement comes to me because it is a household HRA.

Is this arrangement still legal/valid when he's not in your household anymore? I'm not familiar with HRAs.

That means it's a different plan, and the deductible resets to 0.

He hasn't had any medical expenses this year so hasn't used any of the deductible.

Is this arrangement still legal/valid when he's not in your household anymore? I'm not familiar with HRAs.

Yes, he continues to receive money for the HRA until the end of the year that he turns 26.

I moved within my state ( MA) last year. The identical plan was available and my deductible did not reset nor did my id change. However it was a great big headache.

I was told to do an online address change and the price would change the following month. I did and it did. However although I sent proof of new residency twice and had proof of delivery it did not get noted and they sent me a we are canceling your policy notice. It required an in person visit to an enrollment center where I waited several hours to spend less than five minutes presenting proof ( I think I used the electric bill). If he can’t prove an address it could get sticky.

I moved within my state ( MA) last year. The identical plan was available and my deductible did not reset nor did my id change. However it was a great big headache.

I was told to do an online address change and the price would change the following month. I did and it did. However although I sent proof of new residency twice and had proof of delivery it did not get noted and they sent me a we are canceling your policy notice. It required an in person visit to an enrollment center where I waited several hours to spend less than five minutes presenting proof ( I think I used the electric bill). If he can’t prove an address it could get sticky.

Thanks, this is helpful. But it is concerning that they didn't get this right.

Yes, I don't really know what he can do on that. The web site says they will accept a letter from anyone - friend, family, etc. saying he has permanently moved to the area. He is actually working in the new area. But, he hasn't found a permanent apartment so he did an AirBnB. So there is no lease or utility bills. He hasn't changed his bank statements to that address or his drivers license because he probably won't be there long term.

Yes, I don't really know what he can do on that. The web site says they will accept a letter from anyone - friend, family, etc. saying he has permanently moved to the area. He is actually working in the new area. But, he hasn't found a permanent apartment so he did an AirBnB. So there is no lease or utility bills. He hasn't changed his bank statements to that address or his drivers license because he probably won't be there long term.

Then wouldn't a letter from you suffice? Where is his mail being sent? Maybe it would be best for him to temporarily change his address (for mail) to the AirBnB. Then his next bank statement would show that address. He could print out a copy next time one generates in the system. (Bank statements are what my kids used 4 to 6 years ago when they needed to get their first ID. Living with us, no household bills come in their names.)

I am actually going to mail him something just for this purpose. That is a good idea about the bank and printing out a statement. He does however need to contact healthcare.gov before his next statement comes out. I got his current statement in the mail today. That is what I am going to mail to him. He hasn't gotten any mail since he moved. Most of his mail is just his bank statements and that comes here.

I did talk to him about all this yesterday and he is going to call healthcare.gov and see what they say.

Back
Top Bottom