ACA and Medicare

ikubak

Recycles dryer sheets
How do most savvy retirees (i.e. ER forum readers) handle health insurance needs when one spouse is Medicare eligible and the other plans to use the ACA to get health insurance? This would be for a couple where both are retired and can keep their MAGA at low level (30k-60k).

What do you mean by "handle". You must go on Medicare when eligible and the other's spouse ACA costs will go up.. it's inevitable. Add Medicare costs and you annual cost will rise..

Last edited:
BTW, it's MAGI - modified adjusted gross income. Not MAGA.

We are in that boat. DW just turned 65 and is now on Medicare. I am a young pup and have 3 years left and hope to be on ACA till then. My single premium went up about $70 more than our 2 person was on ACA and Medicare added another $300+ for her with a medigap and drug plan.

ACA. Cannot afford it, but cannot afford to be without it. The deductibles/co-pays are often out of the ability to pay for many previously non-insured.

Medicare. You just have to get it when it's available. They're pushing Medicare Advantage, but the best doctors and many hospitals refuse to accept it. We were sure glad to have Plan F when my wife had to have a $92K knee replacement.

DGF and I avoid the issue currently by staying as DGF and I vs. DH and DW. Obviously not a choice for you.
Can't see a way around higher premiums.

We have that currently. The out of pocket premiums for the spouse (me in this case) on ACA went from $2 a month to around $170. That is it, plus some hassles getting the paperwork right between the insurer, Medicare, Medicaid (which we don't qualify for and never applied for but some how they got involved!), and Covered California.

I suggest starting early getting the paperwork in order but other than that it has been fine. You don't have to get your household income down to the one person level to qualify for subsidies when one goes on Medicare, if that is your concern.

We are in that boat. DW just turned 65 and is now on Medicare. I am a young pup and have 3 years left and hope to be on ACA till then. My single premium went up about $70 more than our 2 person was on ACA and Medicare added another $300+ for her with a medigap and drug plan.

Same exact boat (even the ages); except I'm the one (DH) that just turned 65. Our costs parallel yours, as well

Back
Top Bottom