Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

+1

South Dakota and Texas are the two most popular "official state of residence" options for those who RV full time. Here is a Texas based RV organization that provides all you need to know to become a TX resident - even voting information.

https://www.escapees.com/knowledge/d...ie-information
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Keep in mind the fact that Long Beach (WA), Ocean Shores and Salashan are sand spits subject to the vagaries of the sea. Properties on the eastern shore of their bays high enough to see the ocean waves may be better long term homesites.

My husband won a design competition for a place at the end of the Salishan spit. What won the day was that it was 3 separate buildings connected by wind screens - flood insurance is a per-building policy at the time.
Just to point out in addition Long Beach Wa and environs are also subject to Tsunami risk if the big Cascadia quake hits. To avoid this you probably want to be at least 70 feet above sea level. (figuring in the land drop that will happen due to the earthquake before the waves arrive). Also consider that if below that elevation you may have 15 mins to make it up the hill.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:14 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you, Brat and Meierlde! Very good info to consider. DH taped a science show this weekend that we watched about the risk of the Cascadia quake that is predicted soon, along with predictions of areas that would be affected by a resultant tsunami (which would definitely include Ocean Shores). Looks like Anderson Island might be a safer place based on that risk. It may be a remote possibility, but gotta consider it in the big picture!
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:11 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Just to point out in addition Long Beach Wa and environs are also subject to Tsunami risk if the big Cascadia quake hits. To avoid this you probably want to be at least 70 feet above sea level. (figuring in the land drop that will happen due to the earthquake before the waves arrive). Also consider that if below that elevation you may have 15 mins to make it up the hill.
Yes, but Mount Rainier is due for a blow off sometime soon on the long timescale so you are not safe in and around Seattle either.

70 foot wall of water or 70 foot wall of mud and ash. Decisions decisions.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Fermion,
Ha Ha. You are right! What a decision...
There would probably be more advanced warning for Ranier, but the area would still be devastated in the end.

I am certainly learning alot about checking out ACA options and PPO networks for travel that are currently available (or not), along with my initial look at taxes and other location data. Alot to balance, and it looks the the ACA stuff will likely change year by year.

Let us know what you decide. I would be really tempted by Ocean Shores if I had an RV and would use a lot for 90 days/year! Since we don't have an RV, we are just looking at places near the water to build later. Thanks again for all of the really helpful info in this thread.
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:23 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just be sure to read all the fine print. 90% of the plans on NC exchange require you to be in network and only cover out of network in case of emergency. That includes drug refills, etc. so if that's not where your going to live, it could be more hassle than it is worth and of course our state allows for balance billing so out of network can be extremely costly even when "covered".
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote