Join Early Retirement Today

ACA in Arizona
Old 10-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

ACA in Arizona

I am wondering if anyone has any information about insurers participating in Obamacare in AZ for 2017, specifically Maricopa County (the Phoenix area). I've talked to a couple of insurance brokers recently. One claims only Cigna will be in for 2017 and they have proposed at 58% rate increase. The other broker says there are currently no insurance companies lined up for Maricopa county.

This year I do not qualify for a subsidy since we report too much income (I'm harvesting capital gains to fill the 15% tax bracket at a zero tax rate). However, if Cigna is in Healthcare.gov for next year, and calculating a 58% increase in their premiums, it would mean that 'my' premiums will more than double for 2017. Can you believe that? Anyway, I'd look to take the subsidy early next year and dump the tax gain harvesting strategy. And unfortunately, after 5 years of retirement for me and 2 years for my DW, we may have to go back to work to get health insurance!

What a mess the state of health insurance is in.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 04:19 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My understanding is that there is only one provider for Maricopa County at this point and it is called Centene and is based out of Missouri. They will be using Cigna's medical network but Centene will be your insurance company. Here is a story from the Arizona Republic.

New 'Obamacare' insurer comes to Maricopa County as another exits

Not sure which of Cigna's networks it will be as I believe they have two. Will have to wait till Nov 1 to find out. Sure wish BCBS would change their mind.