Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-14-2018, 07:27 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Just call it pension income since that is what is shows up as on the tax return... and if they ask tell them that you can determine how much it is each year and leave it at that.
Nice creative idea. Thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2018, 08:11 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

You can do the same thing on a loan application.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have learned this much from submitting income to ACA.

1. Two years in, I tried scanning our income (all around convenience, right?) Not! This method does not work or it did not work for me. Scanning is a big freaking mess and they do not know how to handle it.
2. Send all your documents via registered mail and on every single page (I mean every single page) put your state, ID #, SS, DH name, your name and any other self identifiers you can think of. Copy, copy, copy. We've been on the ACA since 2014. Once you get this down, it is easy.
3. Each renewal, we submitted previous year tax returns with a letter of changes. They will accept a spreadsheet ( DH does some consulting from home to stay involved in his industry and avoid bordem). Do not, I repeat, do not go over said income maximum. Figure it out or you are scr**ed.
4. All they want is documentation. I frantically micro worried about everything I sent the first 2 years. Just give them copies and identify yourself correctly.

I hope the same plans are offered for 2019. These plans work so well for us and have saved us for the last 4 years.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post

1. Two years in, I tried scanning our income (all around convenience, right?) Not! This method does not work or it did not work for me. Scanning is a big freaking mess and they do not know how to handle it.
2. Send all your documents via registered mail and on every single page (I mean every single page) put your state, ID #, SS, DH name, your name and any other self identifiers you can think of. Copy, copy, copy. We've been on the ACA since 2014. Once you get this down, it is easy.
3. Each renewal, we submitted previous year tax returns with a letter of changes. They will accept a spreadsheet ( DH does some consulting from home to stay involved in his industry and avoid bordem). Do not, I repeat, do not go over said income maximum. Figure it out or you are scr**ed.
4. All they want is documentation. I frantically micro worried about everything I sent the first 2 years. Just give them copies and identify yourself correctly.

I hope the same plans are offered for 2019. These plans work so well for us and have saved us for the last 4 years.
Did most of the above, but since it was my 2nd year, they did not ask for the prior year tax return.
I explained the documentation in a separate letter which helped the process.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:26 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Is there some action or change in income that is triggering this?

I ask because I have just guesstimated a number and called it a pension. Three years and no trouble so far. Our " income" is very low, though. Have I just been lucky?

Thanks
Murf
Quote:

Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:02 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2 View Post
Is there some action or change in income that is triggering this?

I ask because I have just guesstimated a number and called it a pension. Three years and no trouble so far. Our " income" is very low, though. Have I just been lucky?

Thanks
Murf
I think it depends on the state. My state is quite lax, and one year I updated things via a phone call. I haven't submitted a single piece of actual documentation to my state exchange yet and am on my 3rd year of ACA.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I think it depends on the state. My state is quite lax, and one year I updated things via a phone call. I haven't submitted a single piece of actual documentation to my state exchange yet and am on my 3rd year of ACA.
That is amazing. We would get letters and e-mails, to send more documentation. It's federal, I wonder why it's different state to state.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is amazing. We would get letters and e-mails, to send more documentation. It's federal, I wonder why it's different state to state.
Some states have their own exchanges with different rules.

After the first two years I've never been asked for any documentation.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #29

We went over our estimate by about $10k last year and the only outcome was we owed about $600 additional on our federal tax return.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As MRG notes, some states (including mine) run their own exchange. I think the personnel are local, the processes are local, etc.

A number of states use the federal exchange, and it's my impression that the federal exchange website is more difficult to work with than mine, and that the people are also more rigid in terms of the documentation.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote