Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What color ACA plan did you choose?
Bronze 64 62.14%
Silver 31 30.10%
Gold 8 7.77%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2019, 03:27 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
We've had doctor offices tell us they don't take ACA Blue Cross but they accept other Blue Cross coverage. I don't get that at all.
Not sure about your situation, but in Georgia BCBS only offers an HMO option on the ACA. Off ACA they also offer PPO plans. Not many docs take the HMO but most take the PPO. That might be what you are experiencing.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Chose the Bronze ppo with HSA. Oddly, my PCP was listed as in-network with the Bronze ppo HDHP without HSA, but not in-network in the bronze plan with HSA. I decided to enroll in the Bronze with HSA anyway. Blue Shield kept trying to assign me a different PCP, but I went to my old PCP anyway, thinking I would pay out-of-pocket if needed. My EOB arrived and covered the primary care visit as though she were in-network. Nice.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Location, Location, Location. Ours is the BEST we ever had, even when we were both working and ALL our medical expenses were covered by our employers.
+1

This coverage is with Anthem/BCBS and sucks eggs. Our last coverage was with BCBS of KC and they were awesome. Call with a question and get a real answer, not the run around. Heck sometimes I didn't like their real answer but I knew it was correct. These folks all appear to need maps to find their desks.

I'd love to fire them for another insurer but they're the only one. I guess competition might be a good thing.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Silver (because I have a chronic health condition requiring at least monthly labs plus daily med) at $210/month
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:11 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Silver plan here. I have Type 2 Diabetes, so I use considerable services, the labwork and one drug being the costliest. Gold plan is too expensive without offering enough added benefits. Bronze plan leaves me too exposed to higher copays which overtake any premium savings. I now pay $647 per month for 1 peron. No APTC this year because I went over the cliff in 2017 and 2018.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:11 PM   #26

Bronze/HSA. If we stay healthy, couple of DR visits, some blood chemistry, our year HC spend should be @ $3000 including everything, maybe less. It was @ $2500 for the year 2018 (including premiums).
Old 04-15-2019, 04:12 PM   #27

We have a silver plan. This year we did not have a bronze plan option in my county on the ACA exchange.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:55 PM   #28

Bronze with HSA, no subsidy. Usually the highest deductible that has my choice of docs.

I would be careful picking and HSA with CDR as sometimes the CSR makes the plan non-compliant with HSAs.

Typically we don't have all that much in medical expenses. However I may pick a different plan when I get my pacemaker changed.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:47 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

DH only - FL Blue Bronze PPO with HSA, no subsidy - $1,187/mo with $6K deductible
saydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:55 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Also silver with CSR....

BUT, I have not had a choice of plans the last two years.... it seems that my DD can go on CHIPS if I claim low enough income to qualify... the threshold for CHIPS is just over the 200% level...

I am grandfathered in with my plan for now but DS is dropping off next year and I think I will be stuck... do not know what plan I will chose then...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
+1
Every doctor around here takes Florida Blue and there is no differentiation between ACA plans or regular plans.
But provider and plan are not the same for acceptance. I shopped on the ACA for available doctors, and really wanted access to the Cleveland Clinic - was only available for me for a handful of higher end ACA Florida Blue plans - the super expensive Gold+ stuff, nothing in Bronze despite an otherwise good set of options.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
But provider and plan are not the same for acceptance. I shopped on the ACA for available doctors, and really wanted access to the Cleveland Clinic - was only available for me for a handful of higher end ACA Florida Blue plans - the super expensive Gold+ stuff, nothing in Bronze despite an otherwise good set of options.
Interesting, I had never noticed that, but I really only look for 3 or 4 doctors I'm likely to use.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:48 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Interesting, I had never noticed that, but I really only look for 3 or 4 doctors I'm likely to use.
Same here. Good to know.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:25 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Also silver with CSR....

BUT, I have not had a choice of plans the last two years.... it seems that my DD can go on CHIPS if I claim low enough income to qualify... the threshold for CHIPS is just over the 200% level...

I am grandfathered in with my plan for now but DS is dropping off next year and I think I will be stuck... do not know what plan I will chose then...
I don't know about CHIPS, but if you go on medicaid you can have Estate recovery in some states.

I must be doing something wrong. I keep doing Roth conversions instead.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:45 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Bronze Point-of-Service plan with $6k deductible and $7.8k OOP Max per person. We pay $12 per month for the two of us with a subsidy of $1221 per month.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:45 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

We are healthy and generally have very few HI claims... perhaps $1k a year on average for the both of us... lower than even gold deductibles... so lowest premium is best for us.

In our area, gold vs bronze is $1,464 less a year and silver vs bronze is $780 less a year... and those are per person.

So in short, we're making a calculated bet that our claims at negotiated rates in any given year will be less than the difference in deductibles offset by the difference in premiums... and it has worked out great for us so far.

All of the above are unsubsidized.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:26 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Bronze with HSA. No premium after advanced tax credit ($1948)
Annual wellcare visit covered 100% including blood work.
Rickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #38

OP here....thanks for all the responses so far. Did anyone make the decision to pass on 18 mos. of Cobra in favor of ACA coverage? My Cobra rate would be around $1100/mth so I'm guessing the answer to the question is a definite "yes" but just wanting to confirm.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:12 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
OP here....thanks for all the responses so far. Did anyone make the decision to pass on 18 mos. of Cobra in favor of ACA coverage? My Cobra rate would be around $1100/mth so I'm guessing the answer to the question is a definite "yes" but just wanting to confirm.
I skipped Cobra for unsubsidized individual health insurance in 2011. Cobra was too expensive. As I recall we had some kind of retiree health plan, though I may not have stayed around long enough to get that, but I remember looking at the rate table and calling HR to ask if it was monthly or quarterly. If was monthly, so I didn't care if I qualified or not. Probably lower deductible, but still too much.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I skipped Cobra for unsubsidized individual health insurance in 2011. Cobra was too expensive. As I recall we had some kind of retiree health plan, though I may not have stayed around long enough to get that, but I remember looking at the rate table and calling HR to ask if it was monthly or quarterly. If was monthly, so I didn't care if I qualified or not. Probably lower deductible, but still too much.
Speaking of retiree health care, I qualify for it, however, it is not subsidized so I would be paying something like $2000/mth. Never quite understood why Cobra is cheaper than retiree HC. Maybe it's because Cobra is short-term.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote