Join Early Retirement Today

ACA Rate Increases for 2021
Old 06-09-2020, 10:50 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

ACA Rate Increases for 2021

I started a similar thread on this topic last June. I just received a letter from my HI company telling me what they are filing for 2021. They are filing a 15.6% increase this time, pushing my unsubsidized monthly premium up more than $100 to over $800 (for one person).

However, unlike last year, I am well under the ACA premium subsidy cliff thanks to finally dumping in late 2019 an actively managed stock fund I had been in for more than 20 years and replacing it with a similar index fund. The subsidy this year covers about half of the premium.

Have any of you received preliminary letters regarding 2021 rate changes?
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2020, 12:47 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't received anything.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:17 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Too soon for my state (Idaho). I remember your thread from last year, and I think it was only in the fall when they announce what the premium changes will be.

According to a quick Google search, they went up by 6% last year (on average, I assume this was enrollment-weighted).

It's hard for me to say personally since I have kids going on and off my policy in 2019 and 2020 due to college, and my income varies and thus so do my subsidies.

Also, Idaho expanded Medicaid over the past year or so, and this year is the first full year of that, so I don't know how that expansion might affect ACA premiums.

ETA: It does seem like ACA premiums are all over the map and vary state by state quite a bit (more than I would think), as well as the yearly change in premiums. I really have no idea what to expect, except that maybe I'll be on my own policy this year and will be able to choose things the way I want without having to consider the ex's opinion or my kids' needs. Writing that probably jinxes it though.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:19 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Too soon for FLA.
Old 11-04-2020, 01:07 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I am happy to say that the approved rate increase for 2021 was reduced from the 15.6% increase they had filed all the way down to +1.7%. After increases of at least 7% since I have been using the ACA in 2014, I find this very refreshing!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:31 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I don't know how much the actual premium increased on my current plan but the amount I would have to pay after subsidy went up by 52%. I switched plans to the one plan that I could get for $0 monthly premium plus good cost sharing
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote