Join Early Retirement Today

ACA subsidies and the VA
Old 07-21-2021, 02:13 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

ACA subsidies and the VA

DW and I have identical HD Bronze plans with the exception that she receives a generous subsidy towards her premium. I called to see why I didnít have a subsidy towards my payments and was told it was because I was eligible to receive health care elsewhere, namely through the VA. I am a Marine Corps veteran and have applied for VA health care, but basically to get my VA card and be in the system in case I ever need to go there. I have never been seen or treated at the VA.
Has anyone else came across this or have any experience with his situation. Once retired, this will literally cost me thousands of dollars if I keep my plan. Currently, we have HSA accounts, and would like to continue funding them. I am considering dropping the plan and just using the VA, but that would be a major inconvenience based on where the VA is located.
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2021, 02:22 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, it's true that you are not eligible for subsidies if you have VA coverage (or any other creditable coverage).

https://www.va.gov/health/aca/faq.asp
Quote:
I am enrolled in a VA health care program. Would I be eligible for assistance to pay health insurance premiums on the Marketplace if I choose to purchase health care outside of VA?

Since VA care meets the standard for health care coverage, you wouldn’t be eligible for assistance to lower your cost of health insurance premiums if you chose to purchase additional health care coverage outside of VA. However, you may still purchase private health insurance on or off the Marketplace to complement your VA health care coverage.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:35 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

So since to my knowledge, there is no way to unenroll from the VA, I am either paying full price or going to the VA. Hmmm
Not great options either way.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:37 PM   #4

It's kinda like employer coverage - if your employer has lackluster options, you can get the ACA on your own, but you pay full freight. You can't opt out of your employer option and get subsidized ACA.

Subsidies are only available for those with no other coverage.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:41 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you Cathy63 for the link.
I just read that you can cancel VA Health care, but may have a hard time getting future coverage if needed.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:42 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

True- Thank You
Old 07-22-2021, 05:37 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

DH receives coverage through the VA because of a service-connected disability. I found that our income would have to be quite a lot below the ACA cutoff in order to receive a subsidy for my own ACA coverage. Not complaining too much, though - a silver HMO plan is still a lot cheaper than COBRA

Tags
aca subidy, health care, military