ACA subsidies and the VA

Yoheadden

Recycles dryer sheets
DW and I have identical HD Bronze plans with the exception that she receives a generous subsidy towards her premium. I called to see why I didn’t have a subsidy towards my payments and was told it was because I was eligible to receive health care elsewhere, namely through the VA. I am a Marine Corps veteran and have applied for VA health care, but basically to get my VA card and be in the system in case I ever need to go there. I have never been seen or treated at the VA.
Has anyone else came across this or have any experience with his situation. Once retired, this will literally cost me thousands of dollars if I keep my plan. Currently, we have HSA accounts, and would like to continue funding them. I am considering dropping the plan and just using the VA, but that would be a major inconvenience based on where the VA is located.

Yes, it's true that you are not eligible for subsidies if you have VA coverage (or any other creditable coverage).

https://www.va.gov/health/aca/faq.asp
I am enrolled in a VA health care program. Would I be eligible for assistance to pay health insurance premiums on the Marketplace if I choose to purchase health care outside of VA?

Since VA care meets the standard for health care coverage, you wouldn’t be eligible for assistance to lower your cost of health insurance premiums if you chose to purchase additional health care coverage outside of VA. However, you may still purchase private health insurance on or off the Marketplace to complement your VA health care coverage.

So since to my knowledge, there is no way to unenroll from the VA, I am either paying full price or going to the VA. Hmmm
Not great options either way.

It's kinda like employer coverage - if your employer has lackluster options, you can get the ACA on your own, but you pay full freight. You can't opt out of your employer option and get subsidized ACA.

Subsidies are only available for those with no other coverage.

Thank you Cathy63 for the link.
I just read that you can cancel VA Health care, but may have a hard time getting future coverage if needed.

DH receives coverage through the VA because of a service-connected disability. I found that our income would have to be quite a lot below the ACA cutoff in order to receive a subsidy for my own ACA coverage. Not complaining too much, though - a silver HMO plan is still a lot cheaper than COBRA

Back
Top Bottom