Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

ACA subsidy calculation wrong (SLCSP bogus)?
Old 10-29-2015, 12:10 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

ACA subsidy calculation wrong (SLCSP bogus)?

Is anyone else seeing subsidies being calculated incorrectly because of a bogus second-lowest-cost silver plan? In my case, both the state website and the actual insurance provider's site are both pricing the policies identically, but then they appear to be using a SLCSP value that is way too low -- like by a factor of 2, or $300/mo less.

I'm looking at SLCSPs for 2015 (readily available through last month, since they have to be, since you need them to file your return) and they are all basically about the same for my family size and location. The silver plans being served up for 2016 are about 10% higher across the board, which is what I expected for Colorado. But for some reason the SLCSP value being used under the hood seems wrong, or I'm misunderstanding something.

I realize the sites are not official yet, and I'm sure there are tons of bugs. But this one seems weird, and when I called the insurer they didn't know, either.

Anybody else observing this?
Symbiotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2015, 05:12 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, we've been discussing this in another topic -

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...day-79162.html

Check the posts by me or rbmrtn, specifically post #88.

From the link he posted it looks like if your 2nd lowest cost silver plan is adjusted to account for a portion being benefits that are non essential (in our case vision and dental) then your subsidy is affected.

In our area the SLCSP is identical to the lowest cost silver plan except for the vision and dental coverage for an additional $77. So that $77 doesn't count in the subsidy calculation. So for us the "benchmark" is now the lowest cost silver plan. Not good.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:29 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$300 or factor of 2 seems extreme. The only diff between the 2nd and 1st LCSPs for my location is the deductible is lower and the copay/coins is slightly different. Neither one has add on benefits ( vision,dental). Mine is only off a few $, not the numbers you are seeing.

Also this has been there from the beginning, I don't why it would just now show up. Seems you need the EHB portion of a premium for the SLCSP and the plan you choose in order to calculate the tax credit. The issuer should know as they are the ones to report it.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:42 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My insurance broker here in Colorado told me yesterday that that the exchange is having problems getting the subsidy calculations right.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Ah, okay, thanks guys. It looks to me like they just need a working SLCSP lookup table; they're getting the cost-sharing subsidy correct and showing me the higher actuarial value plans.
Symbiotic is offline   Reply With Quote