Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-12-2021, 08:36 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
Here is a part of the "About Me" section for the electrophysiologist I am considering to do my ablation:

"My major area of expertise is using complex ablation procedures to eliminate troublesome symptoms, especially in the treatment of atrial fibrillation. I was the first in Minnesota to do radiofrequency ablation. I have been doing ablation procedures for over 30 years and have done thousands of procedures. My patient outcomes for these procedures exceed national reports. "

Would you look further or just go with this doctor?

Don't know what area you are in, but those numbers are outstanding. We've also found the EP department at CentraCare Heart and Vascular center to be outstanding.

Ablation is one solution but there are other choices too.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2021, 08:41 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
[I know this is an old thread but it is fairly specialized and therefore I didn't want to start a new thread.]

I consulted with an electrophysiologist today. Many things were discussed including the ablation option.

He did say the jumbled up electrical signals inside the heart that cause afib can be caused by heart tissue that has been scarred by strenuous athletic activity over the years. It is kind of sadly ironic that vigorous athletic activity can lead to a heart condition like afib.

In February I wore a Zio heart monitor for two weeks. It showed I was in afib for 18% of the time (about 59 hours), however afib occurred primarily in a stretch of 6 days and mostly on 2 days within that stretch. For example, on those 2 days I was in afib for over 6 hours each day. For 7 consecutive days there was absolutely no afib.

I'm leaning toward having the ablation procedure. I don't like treating symptoms if I can (hopefully) eliminate the problem altogether. Thinking of not being a daily slave to Sotalol and Xarelto sounds liberating to me. The thing is, my cardiologist is advocating the medicine route and the electrophysiologist is touting the ablation procedure. The EP says I'm an ideal candidate, since I am paroxysmal afib and relatively young (63). He says the afib burden, or percent of time I'm in afib, will only increase from 18% as I get older. The cardiologist makes it sound like ablation is a somewhat risky procedure and the EP makes it sound routine.

I ask again, for those that got the ablation procedure, what was the turning point that clinched the decision for you?

My understanding is that one risk of an ablation gone bad is ending up pacemaker dependent, it can happen.

My DH EP went with medication because of this fact, my DH has afib from years of dealing with a leaky mitral valve. Before the developed robot repair they would let the valves go until you started getting problems. In his case they waited a little too long. Mainly because for some reason my DH never felt many AFIB symptoms..
Old 07-12-2021, 11:28 AM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Don't know what area you are in, but those numbers are outstanding. We've also found the EP department at CentraCare Heart and Vascular center to be outstanding.
I'm in the Twin Cities, MN. I presume you are referring to the St. Cloud CentraCare?

Quote:
Ablation is one solution but there are other choices too.
I'm listening...

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:39 PM   #104

Quote:
I'm in the Twin Cities, MN. I presume you are referring to the St. Cloud CentraCare?

I'm listening...
Having been this route: The other choices I'm aware of are pharmaceutical.

I was a younger candidate, in my late 30s at the time. Several ablations did not work. Now 49 and control the issue with a combo of meds and pacemaker.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:37 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Having been this route: The other choices I'm aware of are pharmaceutical.
I'm taking sotalol. My cardiologist mentioned flecainide as an alternative but said my symptoms did not warrant taking it. Same thing with Propafenone. The electrophysiologist I saw said the same thing. Stay on sotalol.

Quote:
I was a younger candidate, in my late 30s at the time. Several ablations did not work. Now 49 and control the issue with a combo of meds and pacemaker.
I'm glad to hear that you've got your afib under control.

Old 07-12-2021, 02:16 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I'm listening...

Yes St cloud, and I'm not a doctor my DH is well controlled by meds. Everybody is different but I wish you the best possible outcome.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:47 PM   #107

Quote:
I'm taking sotalol. My cardiologist mentioned flecainide as an alternative but said my symptoms did not warrant taking it. Same thing with Propafenone. The electrophysiologist I saw said the same thing. Stay on sotalol.

I was on Sotalol for a few years with good results. Then it stopped working for me. Went thru several meds and an additional ablation attempt or two before arriving at current solution. I've learned that meds work until they don't, with no real predictability in the case of a congenital case like myself.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:39 AM   #108

I wish you all the best and hope your meds keep working.

After my grandmother's last heart attack (in her 90s) the only drug that still worked to control her AFIB was amiodarone...but she couldn't tolerate it orally.

Rather than be tied to an IV she just told her doctor to d/c all meds...then died a few days later.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:40 AM   #109

Quote:

Did you have any reactions/side effects from either the flecanide or sotalol? A family member recently had a hospitalization for AFIB (initial episode in her life at 74) and was put on flecanide. Either it or the reaction between that an other meds made her feel very lethargic - tiring easily, no energy, etc. She was switched to sotalol but only marginally better. (No recurrence of AFIB, though). Still working with the cardiologist (who is on vacation) to try to fine-tune things.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:56 AM   #110

Sotalol made me very lethargic.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:11 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Sotalol made me very lethargic.
Did you just live with it while you were on it? Or did your body ever adjust?
Old 07-13-2021, 11:15 AM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

I am on the lowest dose of flecainide and it has been wonderful for me… keeps my heart feeling steady and no side effects at the low dose. I sure hope it keeps working so well for me! Initially my EP started me on a beta blocker, and I hated everything about how it made me feel.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:50 PM   #113

Off topic, but I always get a little sad when an old thread pops up, that was started by a dearly departed member.

Still an important topic, and glad to see it is still helping folks.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:47 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
Did you have any reactions/side effects from either the flecanide or sotalol? A family member recently had a hospitalization for AFIB (initial episode in her life at 74) and was put on flecanide. Either it or the reaction between that an other meds made her feel very lethargic - tiring easily, no energy, etc. She was switched to sotalol but only marginally better. (No recurrence of AFIB, though). Still working with the cardiologist (who is on vacation) to try to fine-tune things.
I get a bit fatigued in late afternoon, usually around 4:30pm. A 10-15 minute nap recharges me. I rarely took naps before I was on Sotalol, now it's 5-6 days a week. Needing a daily nap directly corresponds with when I started Sotalol. Cardiologist and electrophysiologist agree it's the Sotalol that's responsible and not my getting older (I'm 63, started Sotalol 6 years ago.)

Old 07-13-2021, 04:48 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Off topic, but I always get a little sad when an old thread pops up, that was started by a dearly departed member.

I thought the same thing. I loved IMOLDERNU's posts and perspectives on life.
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:12 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Rather than be tied to an IV she just told her doctor to d/c all meds...then died a few days later.
My Dad stopped taking baby aspirin to keep a minor brain aneurism in check. Two years later at 95 he died. He was ready to go.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:14 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I thought the same thing. I loved IMOLDERNU's posts and perspectives on life.
I just hope I will live to to have such a moniker. He was an inspiration to me.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:20 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

He lived a wonderful life and with dementia robbing him daily, all in all, I think he would have been OK with the way it played out.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:23 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
He lived a wonderful life and with dementia robbing him daily, all in all, I think he would have been OK with the way it played out.
I think you are correct, but still....
Old 07-13-2021, 06:28 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think you are correct, but still....

but still we miss him!!!