Join Early Retirement Today

Alcohol and Short Term Memory
Old 05-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Alcohol and Short Term Memory

I have a neighborhood pub that I frequent a couple of times a week and have gotten to know some of the regulars. One of them, "Alan", has been friendly and we have done a few things together away from the pub.

Several weeks ago, I joined him at the bar and we had a conversation, made a tentative plan for lunch the next week. Usually he will text me later with the specifics of where we'll meet. I didn't hear from him and didn't think much of it.

The next week, I joined him at the bar and we had nearly the identical extended conversation (including his asking the same questions and me giving the same answers), ending with the same tentative plan. Again no followup.

This week I saw him and he was friendly and talkative as always, but no mention of our previous conversations. He's in his early 70's and going through some health issues, but he seems fine mentally. He does drink copiously, but only occasionally to the point where he seems impaired.

I did a little research on the internet and found an interesting phenomenon, where drinking (even if not to the point of intoxication) prevents the formation of short term memories. Anyone heard of this or experienced it?
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just curious, was wine included in those research results?
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #3

Yes, it's sometimes confused with blacking out. One doesn't actually pass out drunk, but at some point the brain becomes too intoxicated to make memories.

A "normal" drunk might forget stuff, but then, when prodded, will remember.

Your friend sounds like he might be a high functioning alcoholic, outward appearances can be deceiving on someone with a lot of practice. Or it could be the onset of some dementia given his age, or a combination of all of the above?
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Alcohol-related dementia is also a thing. My FIL most likely has it.

https://americanaddictioncenters.org...l-and-dementia
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:29 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
Yes, any alcohol, it seems to have something to do with the speed with which you consume it too. So even if you only had 2 glasses of wine, if you gulp them down it could happen! The articles I read said it usually occurs with hard alcohol, just because it is "easier" to drink it quickly.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have an untested hypothesis with absolutely ZERO confirmation of its validity from anywhere. If anybody has ever done a scientific study on this I don't know about it. But anyway, here goes....

This guy is 70 years old. My hypothesis is that once a person is in his/her 40's, as the years continue to pass they are more and more easily affected by alcohol or drugs than previously. In other words, even if they don't drink any more than they ever did, and even if their behavior while drinking remains the same as it always was, actually they get drunker than they used to get. This gets worse over time IMO.

So even if this guy isn't drinking much, my hypothesis is that he may be drunker than you think.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:38 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Erg, wha wassah question?
Old 05-25-2019, 04:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have an untested hypothesis with absolutely ZERO confirmation of its validity from anywhere. If anybody has ever done a scientific study on this I don't know about it. But anyway, here goes....

This guy is 70 years old. My hypothesis is that once a person is in his/her 40's, as the years continue to pass they are more and more easily affected by alcohol or drugs than previously. In other words, even if they don't drink any more than they ever did, and even if their behavior while drinking remains the same as it always was, actually they get drunker than they used to get. This gets worse over time IMO.

So even if this guy isn't drinking much, my hypothesis is that he may be drunker than you think.
Makes sense to me. As I got older while drinking, I felt I just wasn't strong enough to recover and the downtime lasted longer.

A friend comes to visit (golfing buddy) and he drinks from morning till bedtime. And rinse and repeat every day he's here. His voice is shot, my guess the damage done to his esophagus, but I'm amazed how he's able to keep it up. He tells me he doesn't drink like this when at his house. I told him, "Of course, you'd be dead by now". To me, it takes a strong constitution to put his body through the continual excessive drinking.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:11 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
Makes sense to me. As I got older while drinking, I felt I just wasn't strong enough to recover and the downtime lasted longer.

A friend comes to visit (golfing buddy) and he drinks from morning till bedtime. And rinse and repeat every day he's here. His voice is shot, my guess the damage done to his esophagus, but I'm amazed how he's able to keep it up. He tells me he doesn't drink like this when at his house. I told him, "Of course, you'd be dead by now". To me, it takes a strong constitution to put his body through the continual excessive drinking.
I knew a guy like that, would start drinking for breakfast, a funny likable guy. So sad he later died of his alcoholism at a young age, bleeding out of all sorts of places..

He also lied about how much he drank.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:54 PM   #10

Psychologist and writer Oliver Sacks wrote about alcohol-induced Korsakoff syndrome in his essay "The Lost Mariner," a case study of memory loss in the book "The Man Who mistook his Wife for a Hat." https://sites.google.com/site/neurob...e-lost-mariner
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:31 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for your replies. I feel naive about my reaction to his forgetfulness!

Even though he never seems intoxicated, I guess I kind of had a feeling he must be drinking too much. I changed my usual consumption from a pint to a half a pint and assured my DS I wouldn't be in a car with him at the wheel.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm Rrr View Post
I have a neighborhood pub that I frequent a couple of times a week and have gotten to know some of the regulars. One of them, "Alan", has been friendly and we have done a few things together away from the pub.

Several weeks ago, I joined him at the bar and we had a conversation, made a tentative plan for lunch the next week. Usually he will text me later with the specifics of where we'll meet. I didn't hear from him and didn't think much of it.

The next week, I joined him at the bar and we had nearly the identical extended conversation (including his asking the same questions and me giving the same answers), ending with the same tentative plan. Again no followup.

This week I saw him and he was friendly and talkative as always, but no mention of our previous conversations. He's in his early 70's and going through some health issues, but he seems fine mentally. He does drink copiously, but only occasionally to the point where he seems impaired.

I did a little research on the internet and found an interesting phenomenon, where drinking (even if not to the point of intoxication) prevents the formation of short term memories. Anyone heard of this or experienced it?

I have seen people in their 70s, that were losing a lot of their short term memory and didn't drink at all... Dementia doesn't care whether you drink or not, and is more common than most people think.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:19 AM   #13

In the guy's defense, I've often thought things were a great idea while sitting at the bar, but the next day seemed quite absurd. Maybe the next day he wrote the whole thing off as the drunken ramblings of a 70 year old should not be taken seriously.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:01 PM   #14

"some drink to remember, some drink to forget.."
Old 05-26-2019, 08:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
"some drink to remember, some drink to forget.."

Clearly the Best post of this thread!
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:45 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday had one beer. Can't remember the particular reason. But the scenery was nice.

Edit add: Oh yeah, I am over 70.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:57 PM   #17

Any thoughts about people who smoked copious amount of marijuana when they were young being forgetful or repeating themselves, asking for a friend. Any thoughts about people who smoked copious amount of marijuana when they were young being forgetful or repeating themselves, asking for a friend. Any thoughts about people who smoked copious amount of marijuana when they were young being forgetful or repeating themselves, asking for a friend. Any thoughts about people who smoked copious amount of marijuana when they were young being forgetful or repeating themselves, asking for a friend.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Any thoughts about people who smoked copious amount of marijuana when they were young being forgetful or repeating themselves, asking for a friend. Any thoughts about people who smoked copious amount of marijuana when they were young being forgetful or repeating themselves, asking for a friend. Any thoughts about people who smoked copious amount of marijuana when they were young being forgetful or repeating themselves, asking for a friend. Any thoughts about people who smoked copious amount of marijuana when they were young being forgetful or repeating themselves, asking for a friend.

I resembled that! Wait, I forgot what you just said.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:33 AM   #19

Serious question, does one have a finite number of brain cells or does the body shed the older worn out ones and regenerate new ones. I'm sure there are any number of reasons for memory loss, dementia, etc. but aging does seem to be one common denominator in the equation. Besides substance abuse it seem like heredity is also a key indicator of who may be losing their minds at earlier ages.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post

LOL! I almost blew my coffee through my nose!