Almonds vs. Peanuts

Skippy Superchunk has 0 trans-fats. Yay!

This is a good article about nuts. I can't find it now but I think it was in either Prevention or Health Magazine that said to keep nuts in the fridge to keep them from going rancid. They also suggested olive oil should be kept cool too.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/12/15/FDGI3A68B21.DTL

I love walnuts in my oatmeal and eat pecans like candy. I don't like almonds or peanuts.

TromboneAl said:
Skippy Superchunk has 0 trans-fats. Yay!

I don't know about skippy specifically but don't confuse "0g Trans-Fats!" which means less than 0.5g per serving, with actually having no trans fats.

"It is prudent to avoid acrylamides, a potent carcinogen in animal studies. We learn something new every day, and I no longer recommend roasted peanut butter for children. Try the freshly ground raw cashew and raw almond butter......."
Joel Fuhrman, M.D.

trunk said:
"It is prudent to avoid acrylamides, a potent carcinogen in animal studies. We learn something new every day, and I no longer recommend roasted peanut butter for children. Try the freshly ground raw cashew and raw almond butter......."
Joel Fuhrman, M.D.

First, there's not a lot of evidence that acrylamide is a human carcinogen.

atricle

Second, this is the Almonds vs Peanuts smack down. Roasted almonds have more acrylamide than roasted peanuts.

data

Go peanuts!

'First, there's not a lot of evidence that acrylamide is a human carcinogen."

There's enough evidence for me

"Second, this is the Almonds vs Peanuts smack down. Roasted almonds have more acrylamide than roasted peanuts."

Good point!

"Go peanuts!"

There's still the problem with those pesky mycotoxins.
[/quote]

Martha said:
You made me look up edamame. And yesterday you made me look up ramekin. Ack!

I love legumes and nuts. I have had soybeans in the pod when I was in California and liked them. I don't see them around here.

I'm sorry Martha...and today we had you visiting the relative merits of diamond bits vs hammer drills.

Edamame can be found frozen in bags in many supermarkets, places like trader joes, and even fresh at health food stores.

Trader joes has a frozen mix called 'Soycotash' which is edamame, corn, red bell pepper and a couple of other things.
dex said:
Where do you buy almond butter?

Almonds...add to food processor or even a decent blender. Maybe a few extra drops of nut oil (almond if you can find it, or peanut/walnut/? if you cant).

CFB, it looks like a 150 mile drive for edamame for me. Soybeans aren't that good.

No, they most certainly arent.

None in the frozen food section at your local market? No asian specialty food stores near you?

Try them, try them...you will like them...you will see!

(okay, guess which book I read to gabe when he went down for his nap...)

Back
Top Bottom