Alzheimer’s caregiver support

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My sister’s 81 year old husband was recently diagnosed with ALZ. She is having a hard time handling it. I’ve suggested a support group to her. She tried one and didn’t like it because it had an AA-type format, which she didn’t care for. She lives in the Tampa/St. Pete area. Given the population of elderly there, I’m sure there are many options. Does anyone have any advice for how to find a support group that is a good fit?

My empathy.

I'd start at ALZ.ORG. I'm sure there are many that are not based on 12 step programs.

I do recall going to some online forums about alz and the family when DF admitted his. They were not 12 step related.

My empathy.

I'd start at ALZ.ORG. I'm sure there are many that are not based on 12 step programs.

I do recall going to some online forums about alz and the family when DF admitted his. They were not 12 step related.

Thank you, I’ll suggest this to her.

Churches often have support groups for care giving in general, and/or dementia and alzheimer's. There are 2 churches near me that have them. One meets monthly, one meets weekly. No AA format. No 12-step. Just people around a table, with a leader directing things. No fee. I go to both of them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom