Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2021, 05:31 PM   #81

In life it seems everyone is always finding a "flaw" in themselves, and are seeking a way to fix it.

I'm guilty of it just like the rest.

I wish we all could just learn to accept ourselves as we are and learn to let go of those who can't appreciate us for our souls instead of our physical attributes.

It's not so easy to do, but, it does get easier as you age and realize there are more important things in life. OP, I feel for you and your struggle to love yourself as you are.

When I lost both of my breasts to cancer I struggled dearly with this issue. I endured many, many painful reconstruction surgeries. I hope you can look deep inside and avoid all the pain and risk associated with surgery.

Peace be with you.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2021, 05:32 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What a beautiful post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
In life it seems everyone is always finding a "flaw" in themselves, and are seeking a way to fix it.

I'm guilty of it just like the rest.

I wish we all could just learn to accept ourselves as we are and learn to let go of those who can't appreciate us for our souls instead of our physical attributes.

It's not so easy to do, but, it does get easier as you age and realize there are more important things in life. OP, I feel for you and your struggle to love yourself as you are.

When I lost both of my breasts to cancer I struggled dearly with this issue. I endured many, many painful reconstruction surgeries. I hope you can look deep inside and avoid all the pain and risk associated with surgery.

Peace be with you.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 05:33 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I have female acquaintance who is 5'10". Her first criteria for a date is he has to be at least 6' tall. I find this very shallow. Maybe her perfect soulmate is 5'8". She'll never know! She is single at age 45.
I'm 6'6", 42, single. Is she willing to travel to Wisconsin to meet someone.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 05:36 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

From what I understand, after a certain age they are no longer even on the chest, having dragged the chest skin down farther on the torso. That would have to be very uncomfortable.

Gravity is evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
My big-breasted friends tell me those things they carry on their chest are quite heavy and cause shoulder pains, etc.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:41 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

I had cosmetic surgery when I was in my 20s (had my crooked nose straightened) and it was great for me--really helped my self confidence. But it was day surgery and I was fully recovered in a few days. To me this height augmentation sounds much more like major surgery.

OP--do you already wear shoes that increase your height? I wear Hoka Bondi athletic shoes to help my foot arthritis and they add at least an inch or two to my height.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:27 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

I find it interesting when women who are not very tall themselves (under 5'8") want guys who are 6 feet or more. Do they not realize that they are eliminating about 80% of the male population based upon height alone? That seems foolish to me.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:49 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

I have always found it interesting how often one sees a very tall man married to a quite short woman. Just seems physically limiting, although I'm certain they manage to make it work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I find it interesting when women who are not very tall themselves (under 5'8") want guys who are 6 feet or more. Do they not realize that they are eliminating about 80% of the male population based upon height alone? That seems foolish to me.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:53 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

I did not see the OP mention the actual height that has caused this concern. While I do not consider the OP "crazy" for considering this, I would not recommend it, in line for what others have stated. If the OP has friends that make fun of the height, perhaps it is time to get a different set of friends. I am 5' 10", and I played a lot of sports where most people are taller than me. I was relatively shorter than most guys until a growth spurt late in high school. I have never felt bad about it, it is what it is.

I have no issue with people having preferences for physical characteristics when dating. If one does not want to date someone shorter or taller than a particular height, that is their business. When it comes to considering getting that intimate with someone, preferences should be a factor. The only concern arises if if they judge that person purely on something inherently wrong with that person beyond the dating element, and stereotyping people based on height.

If one does have dating preferences like height, one also has to be realistic in that (as with any preference) they are limiting their "pool". If one accepts that, that is fine. The problem arises when one chooses to limit the pool, and then complains about the pool being limited. You cannot have it both ways .

Personally I never had a height preference regarding dating. DW is 5' 3", and it has never bother me. She had plenty of, shall I sat, "attractive characteristics" that caught my attention . At one point in college when we broke up, one of her friends who was 6' 1" (and a great volleyball player), even asked her if she was serious about breaking up with me, because she was "interested" in me. She was a friend, but I would not have had an issue dating her (she too had "attractive characteristics" ). Interestingly, when we were in college DW could not understand why have so few preferences. My basic attitude was "if a woman is friendly, smiles at me, and wants to have a conversation with me, that addresses 90% of my preference. Beyond that there are "attractive characteristics" that may be "bonuses"
Old 12-04-2021, 07:10 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

When I saw this thread I thought, botox, face lift, boob job, lipo, nose?

No. Add 2 inches to height. Bone stretching?

Nah, I wouldn't do it. Wear platforms.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:55 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I have always found it interesting how often one sees a very tall man married to a quite short woman. Just seems physically limiting, although I'm certain they manage to make it work
I'm 6 feet tall and back when I was doing ballroom dancing, I found it excruciating to dance with very short women.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:26 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

As a few others have mentioned, this isn't typical cosmetic surgery... it sounds quite involved. I agree with your idea of waiting a year or two, think it over... that will give you time to weigh the risk/reward.
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:50 PM   #92
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just checked and this is the first post by astronet7. Methinks we’ve been had.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:58 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCGeezer View Post
Drat and just when I was going to suggest a beehive hair style.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:40 PM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I think it was a tall tale myself. . From what I can tell, this is almost never done at age 50.
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:12 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not the first post, but close. 3 in the joke thread, 2 in the futuristic city, and then this, mixed in with one on the lazy thread. It's either bogus or it should be bogus.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:13 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Drat and just when I was going to suggest a beehive hair style.
Pompadour might be more fashionable for a guy. OP is a guy, right? Heck, for all we know, it may be a dog.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:24 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Pompadour .......
That's the word. I couldn't think of it.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:37 AM   #98
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Pompadour might be more fashionable for a guy. OP is a guy, right? Heck, for all we know, it may be a dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'm 6 feet tall and back when I was doing ballroom dancing, I found it excruciating to dance with very short women.

You would have a very difficult time with my 4'6" wife,

she doesn't dance!
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:42 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

DH and I love to dance and we are perfect partners--each of us are about 6 feet tall. But I have danced with many men shorter than me and have no problem--I can lead anyone around a dance floor! Suffice it to say I do not wear high heels.

I do remember being 5'10 in the sixth grade and coming home crying to my mother that I was the tallest person in middle school including all the teachers and the principal. But then the basketball coach called me and asked me to try out for junior high basketball and all was OK.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:10 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Was OP a troll? Don't know, don't care. The thread has been fun.

A 6 foot 8 inch friend took me out for my birthday back in the day. I wore the highest heels I owned, 3 inches, making me almost 5' 11", and still he had to bend waaay down to kiss me good night. We were only pals, anything else would've been a stretch, lol.