Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-12-2018, 01:30 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Why is it folk LOVE to blame the ACA for all THEIR healthcare woes? It is the Insurance companies that are gauging the folk, and NOT providing adequate coverage. ACA just says you need to cover some BASIC items (Quite reasonable really). Insurance companies are the ones that set the prices. If we had a proper system then Insurance and Basic healthcare would not even be used in the same sentence. It should be NOT FOR PROFIT!
It is shocking to me the number of people that don't have the most elementary understanding of our health insurance system.... you couldn't be more wrong.

Under the law, insurers are limited to charging 125% of their health claim costs... the 25% providing for overhead, taxes and profit. Any premiums charged that end up exceeding 125% of claims paid must be refunded to the insureds.

The reason that health insurance premiums are so high is because health care services (docs, hospitals, prescriptions, etc) are so high... not anything the insurers are doing.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It is shocking to me the number of people that don't have the most elementary understanding of our health insurance system.... you couldn't be more wrong.

Under the law, insurers are limited to charging 125% of their health claim costs... the 25% providing for overhead, taxes and profit. Any premiums charged that end up exceeding 125% of claims paid must be refunded to the insureds.

The reason that health insurance premiums are so high is because health care services (docs, hospitals, prescriptions, etc) are so high... not anything the insurers are doing.
Here is a recent article by a medical professional addressing the way to "fix" the health care system. It is very interesting and makes 4 points of contention with the current system- one being that people need to have more "skin in the game".

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/health-care-reform/

VW
Old 10-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
You thing setting the penalty to $0 has caused costs to stabilize?
That's funny.

Yes, and that's actually already proven to be the case.

Funny thing when you have a product people don't "have" to buy. The companies selling (in this case, the insurers) can't simply keep raising rates into infinity with an inelastic demand curve. They actually have to let the free market (there's a concept) decide what people will be willing to pay, or they just won't buy it.
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:40 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You have a couple other choices. 1. Continue to work. 2. Skip health insurance and take your chances.

Time to put your big boy pants on.
I think that's not realistic. Saying "put your big boy pants on" when our system has been utterly destroyed by bad politics and premiums and deductibles have skyrocketed as a result is not a reasonable position.

Had the ACA never come along, I wouldn't have to be budgeting $200K+ to get me and DW to Medicare. It would have been half - or LESS - than that.

Seems there's two camps on our board - those who are managing income to get subsidies (and hence love the ACA) and those who have higher expenses and cannot manage our income to get the subsidies. The first group basically says "too bad" to the second, which doesn't seem overly reasonable..
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #85

You have to live with the current system, reasonably or not, it is what it is.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
You have to live with the current system, reasonably or not, it is what it is.
Ding ding.

ACA certainly cost me much more money than pre-ACA days. Back then my health insurance cost would be zero cause I couldn't buy any.....
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireSoon View Post
.... The companies selling (in this case, the insurers) can't simply keep raising rates into infinity with an inelastic demand curve. They actually have to let the free market (there's a concept) decide what people will be willing to pay, or they just won't buy it.
Actually, they couldn't keep raising rates to infinity because premiums are limited to 125% of medical claim costs. It is a free market because each insurer can decide what to price its product for as long as it doesn't exceed 125% of claim costs... some may be happy with less and their premiums will be lower.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:00 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Ding ding.

ACA certainly cost me much more money than pre-ACA days. Back then my health insurance cost would be zero cause I couldn't buy any.....
It can still be zero for some, I understand the mandate was removed.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #89
Full time employment: Posting here.

The ACA didn’t exist when I retired in 2010. I had to do 18 months of COBRA and then I was in the state high risk pool for 16 months. In a lot of ways I did work, toward the end, for the health insurance. Also for the money. But I think I could have retired earlier. High risk pool was $941/mo at the time: bankruptcy insurance.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:26 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireSoon View Post
Yes, and that's actually already proven to be the case.

Funny thing when you have a product people don't "have" to buy. The companies selling (in this case, the insurers) can't simply keep raising rates into infinity with an inelastic demand curve. They actually have to let the free market (there's a concept) decide what people will be willing to pay, or they just won't buy it.
So, they were lying all along about how much "it costs" but took the money anyway simply because they could? The the icing isn't so thick anymore so they make the product more affordable.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It can still be zero for some, I understand the mandate was removed.
+1 for them.

I have a c-spine that could cost hundreds of thousands to make whole, if I survive. Of course there's a great chance of being paralyzed surgery or a fall. I'll keep paying whatever, to prevent medical bankruptcy.

A few years ago I had an emergency room visit that was 25k( CTs, ultrasound. and an IV). Trust me, no one would bear that pain I got to experience. They gave me Dilaudid for pain management.

I was still in my deductible stage but the insurance companies discount saved like 23k. I'm not sure about anyone else but it seems foolish to go without.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don’t mind people getting subsidies, but what I do not like is people with large asset like over 5 Million plus complaints incessantly about health care. In fact some is at the point of being stressful. News for those people, you might die young of that stress, just spend the money, you don’t have to worry about eating broccoli and spinach.
So Fed my comment you referred to was, if you are over Medicaid income you should pay at least something toward your healthcare ...below Medicaid income.. free I have no problem with that and over Medicaid level some amount even if it seems like a token amount but ZERO is just too generous IMO..
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:52 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

The good thing about Medicare is at least you know what your costs are. Based on your choice of supplement plan of course. With advantage I am sure it is just a crap shoot. Prior to that it is whatever it is...
Old 10-12-2018, 04:06 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahB View Post
The ACA didn’t exist when I retired in 2010. I had to do 18 months of COBRA and then I was in the state high risk pool for 16 months. In a lot of ways I did work, toward the end, for the health insurance. Also for the money. But I think I could have retired earlier. High risk pool was $941/mo at the time: bankruptcy insurance.
That’s what my sister would have to pay before ACA for high risk pool. She decided to skip it. Crazy idea for a person with a lot of health issues, actually she had just high blood pressure then.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:08 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
+1 for them.

I have a c-spine that could cost hundreds of thousands to make whole, if I survive. Of course there's a great chance of being paralyzed surgery or a fall. I'll keep paying whatever, to prevent medical bankruptcy.

A few years ago I had an emergency room visit that was 25k( CTs, ultrasound. and an IV). Trust me, no one would bear that pain I got to experience. They gave me Dilaudid for pain management.

I was still in my deductible stage but the insurance companies discount saved like 23k. I'm not sure about anyone else but it seems foolish to go without.
No, I don’t recommend for you. But I’m saying before the mandate some people like my sister went without when she got laid off.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
So Fed my comment you referred to was, if you are over Medicaid income you should pay at least something toward your healthcare ...below Medicaid income.. free I have no problem with that and over Medicaid level some amount even if it seems like a token amount but ZERO is just too generous IMO..
I don’t know how much people pay but even with retiree health insurance, my family pay over $6000 a year for the premium. There is no free lunch for us. However, we are grateful, we won’t be complaining.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don’t know how much people pay but even with retiree health insurance, my family pay over $6000 a year for the premium. There is no free lunch for us. However, we are grateful, we won’t be complaining.
That's an example of why everyone should pay something, even government subsides have to be paid by taxpayers. I don't want people thinking I'm heartless and do believe the Medicaid limit is a good thing, but if you are over the line you need to pay something IMO...
Old 10-12-2018, 04:28 PM   #98

Quote:
That's an example of why everyone should pay something, even government subsides have to be paid by taxpayers. I don't want people thinking I'm heartless and do believe the Medicaid limit is a good thing, but if you are over the line you need to pay something IMO...
Pay me now or pay me later. If you have a $0 premium policy you probably have some significant deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums that you will be responsible for.

Its kind of similar to home mortgages where you can buy down your interest rate by paying points up front.

You need to look at the full cost of the health insurance policy before saying that someone isn't paying anything for it.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:30 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In FLA, there is no Medicaid expansion, so how much should one pay if they can't qualify for the ACA minimum?
Old 10-12-2018, 04:34 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Pay me now or pay me later. If you have a $0 premium policy you probably have some significant deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums that you will be responsible for.

Its kind of similar to home mortgages where you can buy down your interest rate by paying points up front.

You need to look at the full cost of the health insurance policy before saying that someone isn't paying anything for it.
Not necessarily, if you have a silver no cost plan and it hits zero you will get a lot of cost sharing.

Tags
healthcare