Another duh! health study

For 32g (2 Tbsp) of my organic PB, which is just peanuts and salt, I'm seeing 6g of carbs and 1g of sugars. The rest is fat and protein.

I never thought of peanuts as high in sugar, but I'm not a carb counter.

They aren't. But the name brands (Jif, Skippy, etc.) have added sugar. Still not a lot (3g vs. 1g). But more.

They aren't. But the name brands (Jif, Skippy, etc.) have added sugar. Still not a lot (3g vs. 1g). But more.

Not just sugar, but also used to be high in transfats because they added partially hydrogenated oil to keep them from separating and easy to stir. I don't know what fat they are adding these days.

But there are tons of peanut butter brands out there offering just peanuts and salt and nothing else. You do have to be willing to stir these.

Not just sugar, but also used to be high in transfats because they added partially hydrogenated oil to keep them from separating and easy to stir. I don't know what fat they are adding these days.

But there are tons of peanut butter brands out there offering just peanuts and salt and nothing else. You do have to be willing to stir these.

I stir it once and then turn the jar upside down, never have to stir again.

Peanut skins are a significant source of resveratrol, a phenolic under research for a variety of potential effects in humans.

Love peanuts, but I'll continue to use wine as the main source for resveratrol...

Well, regarding the study in the OP, I've been losing some weight recently, even while still eating McDonalds and such. A triathlete friend of mine told me about an application called myfitnesspal, and I started using it. I'd always heard tracking your food and calories was helpful, but before these new apps getting the calorie count for foods was a major PITA. But using this app I've been able to drop 14 lbs. Still got about 30 to go. But I eat McDonald's, pizza, Taco Hell, etc. as well as healthier prepared at home foods and restaurants like Panera and Carrabbas. Basically as long as the calorie count stays below my target for losing a lb. every couple of weeks, I'm good. Doesn't matter what the food is. And as ElizabethT says, if I do some exercise or physical labor I get to eat some additional calories.

I use the Weight Watchers app. It's got a little twist that works for me. The "eat this, not that" type diets just make me obsess about the forbidden foods. Plus, the, um, "creative" explanations of physiology, anthropology, and whatever-ology used to justify them just annoy the heckout of the engineer in me.

The other part of losing weight successfully is to take slow so that you don't feel hungry or deprived and get tempted to binge.

The other part of losing weight successfully is to take slow so that you don't feel hungry or deprived and get tempted to binge.

Or, as I've been training myself to recognize, if you screw up and binge, just shake it off and then keep on doing the right thing. I've found more success in accepting failure than I ever did in shooting for perfection.

Or, as I've been training myself to recognize, if you screw up and binge, just shake it off and then keep on doing the right thing. I've found more success in accepting failure than I ever did in shooting for perfection.

I agree. At times I fall off the wagon and if I plan the fall myself, it's over and done with and I am back to eating well.

I have found the 80% rule works well for me. Eat healthfully 80% of the time and the other 20% don't worry as long as it's not a complete binge session. So, I know if I am going to eat an Aunt Mildred's place, where it will be heavy in carbs, sweets and especially her homemade pecan pie, I just make sure that meal is one of the 20%.

Of course, one must do what works for oneself. There is no one way.

Pretty much no dips without dairy/cheese.

This is pretty good stuff, for store-bought...

4e46d98bf3210f336586b26ff388cf22.jpg

Back
Top Bottom