another pneumonia vaccine just approved and one coming

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
https://endpts.com/pfizer-rolls-out...ting-mercks-15-valent-candidate-to-the-punch/

Feeling a bit brain dead trying to summarize Pfizer got one, Merck has one in the works and possibly a new one in 2022. I thought you were not supposed to get these until older but article may be implying that is not so.

"The CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices is scheduled to meet in October to discuss and update recommendations on the use of pneumococcal vaccines, according to Pfizer."

Last edited:
I went with the CDC recommendation, which changed last year, or maybe the year before. It used to be PCV13 starting at age 65, then a year later, the PPSV23.

But the newer recommendation is just the PPSV23 at age 65. Whether to get the PCV13 at all is "with consultation with your doctor". The need for us older folks to get the PCV13 has declined due to the pediatric vaccine that has been given for some years now. With so many younger people already vaxed, the transmission of those variants has greatly declined.

That said, DW's doc gave her the PPSV23 first, then a year later, the PCV13. Sort of backwards.

I took the PPSV23 last year at a pharmacy, I'll probably hold on the PCV13.

Interesting article. It sounds like we will all be advised to get the new vaccine since it covers an additional eight strains of pneumonia. I thought like the OP that pneumonia vaccines were only for seniors but the article clearly implies that the older vaccines are used more broadly and this one has tested well in infants. I guess maybe they give the vaccine to at risk individuals of all ages.

Back
Top Bottom