Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2016, 06:36 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don, Was talking to a buddy and he said a couple of years ago he had problems with his balance in very flat terrain. Turns out it was his eye glasses. Have you had your eyes checked recently.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2016, 06:43 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Very sorry Don. A broken hip is a bid deal. Heal well!

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

What hospital and floor are you in?
4nursebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:33 AM   #24
Administrator

Bummer. Hope your recovery is quick, uneventful and complete.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:38 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Happy birthday! Bummer on the wreck, and resulting injuries... I hear medical marijuana is good for what ails you!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:48 PM   #26

Do you have any bone density problems?
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Wow, just wow. I'm sorry to read about your bike accident. Can I impose on you and ask about the logistics of all this? Were you with a group or alone? I suppose someone called perhaps 911 on a cell phone? Or did you get back on your bike and ride to a doc-in-a-box or hospital? Did you have your health insurance card with you? Still in North Carolina? How to get transport to home? So many questions!

The reasons I ask all these is that it could have been me. I broke my wrist riding a bike in San Francisco, but just got a splint at the drugstore and kept on for a week doing the vacation thing. When I got back, I had it X-rayed and then treated. After 6 weeks and getting the all-clear, I went to the shore in North Carolina (Outer Banks, too) and rode a bike every day for tens of miles. I usually rode alone every day for a few hours on roads where I would not see any cars or cyclists for 30 to 60 minutes at a time, so if I had a spill, then I would have to rely on my phone for a while.

And years ago while cycling, I hit a bump and the next thing I remember was a motorist asking me "How long have you been lying in the road?" My helmet was all cracked up, but I was not bleeding.

So your accident scares me a little and I'm glad you seem to have gotten quick treatment. I hope you can respond to the questions. Thanks!

And I hope the surgery went well.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Trike
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:30 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
At least the morphine is good.
They're shorting you. Don't settle for less than dilaudid, that's the really good stuff. The nurse told me it's about eight times stronger than morphine.

Seriously, sorry to hear about this happening to you and hope it all heals up well.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:27 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Finally got a chance to do a followup. I returned home to a busted PC and buried laptop so I used my iPhone for social media for the last week which precluded lengthy responses, Now I have the laptop back on line so I will answer some of your questions and address some learning factors.

A couple of people wondered about glasses, visual acuity: I think I am OK there. I wear monovision contacts which could potentially be an issue. But my accidents have been for unrelated issues - two from carelessness, and the current one by a fluke look around a coming corner causing me to miss seeing a small road obstruction that caught my tire. I have concluded that I need to be a lot more careful - no one can afford annual surgeries, One more and I will consider switching to a recumbent trike (seriously). On the accident aftermath, I was lucky. I was with my wife and an out of state EMT was driving the car behind me and came to my aid. I tried to stand, with assistance from bystanders and could feel that the right hip was totally loose and out of commission. It was immediately clear that I had to go to the hospital. DW called my son who brought our our car to retrieve the bikes and DW. Surprisingly, The OBX hospital was excellent. Small, quiet but staffed with competent, friendly southerners. The orthopedic surgeon was from Georgetown and split his practice between OBX and Northern VA. My post op orthpedic doc says the metal work looks perfectly done.

On the learning front, this has been an interesting experience. There is so much to cover that the hospitals never really get you ready for a home transition. The areas I have noticed lacking include good prepartion to limit constipation from pain meds and cautions about what to do with swelling. In my case my right leg swelled like a sausage the second day at home because I sat for long hours with my leg down thinking it was a better position to be in than prone. MY ER room doc neice called while that was going on and quickly got me straightened out on how to fix that and the OIC - nontheless, 24 hours wasted,

The other factor I think needs more attention is home assistance, self assistance. It would really help to know in advance that a toilet topper with a raised seat and grab handles will be a life saver. Luckily my neighbor had one she wanted to excess so problem solved. A similar useful aid worth recommending is a simple hip and knee kit available from amazon for $30. These include a grabber to pick things up, a sock tool, long shoe horn, and and a couple of other simple devices to make you less reliant on others. That is a big deal psychologically and would be major for someone living alone with home support visits.

I am skinny and in good shape so my transition was easy. I am getting around smartly with a cane (walker for the first few days) and will be in great shape when my kit arrives tomorrow. But, this could be horrible if I was 15 years older or 100 pounds heavier. Getting up from bed unassisted in the hospital is no easy task and could be a show stopper for someone with no upper body strength or multiple injuries. Same with mastering stairs (with assistance) - a requirement for release. I really feel for injured older folks or obese folks. Very easy to end up in rehab for an extended period.

At any rate, we have learned a lot and will be better prepared when DW has a hip tendon repaired later this year. Hopefully a much more minor procedure.

Attached is a photo of the "pin" going during the operation for those who like visuals. I thought a pin was a pin, not a beam.
Attached Images
File Type: png DonHipFlouriscope2_8_31_48.PNG (303.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-11-2016, 08:42 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Nice beam, Don! Take care of yourself and you'll be back at it in no time.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:10 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Good update Don. That pin might be an issue in airport security.

Best of luck in recovery and keep posting!
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

A Belated Happy Birthday, Don, and sorry to hear about your injury. And, thank you for sharing your experience, and the good advice.

I'm 70. I've been getting hints that "the party's over," health-wise. We're not in our 30's any more. I can't believe that I tripped over a root while hiking, and fell flat on my front-side...no injuries, though, thank God. The next project is grab bars in the showers. A class in Tai Chi sounds like a good idea too.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post

The other factor I think needs more attention is home assistance, self assistance. It would really help to know in advance that a toilet topper with a raised seat and grab handles will be a life saver. Luckily my neighbor had one she wanted to excess so problem solved. A similar useful aid worth recommending is a simple hip and knee kit available from amazon for $30. These include a grabber to pick things up, a sock tool, long shoe horn, and and a couple of other simple devices to make you less reliant on others. That is a big deal psychologically and would be major for someone living alone with home support visits.

I am skinny and in good shape so my transition was easy. I am getting around smartly with a cane (walker for the first few days) and will be in great shape when my kit arrives tomorrow. But, this could be horrible if I was 15 years older or 100 pounds heavier. Getting up from bed unassisted in the hospital is no easy task and could be a show stopper for someone with no upper body strength or multiple injuries. Same with mastering stairs (with assistance) - a requirement for release. I really feel for injured older folks or obese folks. Very easy to end up in rehab for an extended period.

At any rate, we have learned a lot and will be better prepared when DW has a hip tendon repaired later this year. Hopefully a much more minor procedure.

Attached is a photo of the "pin" going during the operation for those who like visuals. I thought a pin was a pin, not a beam.
Thanks for the visual.

Before I had a hip replacement 2 years ago, DH and I had to attend a "hip and knee" class for upcoming surgical patients and their person who would be assisting them upon release. The class covered exactly what you mentioned - the tools in the kit and how to use them properly, the importance of the raised toilet seat, techniques to get in and out of bed, walker usage, expectations of recovery, etc. We were given a notebook covering all the topics so that we could reinforce what we learned when we actually needed to use it all. There was even a brief section on how to have sex (after Drs OK) during recovery. One of the best parts of the class was being among others going through it, as many had already had one hip or one knee done and could talk about their experiences.

Did you have occupational therapy during your hospitalization? Mine taught me how to use the tools for dressing and the physical therapist taught us how to get in and out of the car when I went home from the hospital. Wow, thinking back on this reminds me of how intense some of the recovery was.

Good luck in your recovery. I hated the walker and felt such a sense of freedom when I could finally use the cane and drive again.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:55 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Glad you are on the road to recovery. Have you given some thought to the idea that what you are referring to as carelessness might actually be your body slowing down a little both physically and mentally?

If that's the case then simply trying to be "more careful" might not be possible. That's hard to admit but frequent accidents aren't good either.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

At 62 I stopped power walking for exercise and now have a slower pace. I have had 4 serious falls in past 2 years. I agree that you may need to slow down. I have had some tests and an appointment with a neuro doc too just in case. I have not fallen since I have slowed down. My Dh is 57 so likes to walk faster so after we do a walk together he will do a faster one himself.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:04 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I can tell there are subtle but noticeable changes in my balance and my reaction time, but I ride pretty slow anyway... 😜

I have caught myself drifting off into la-la land while riding, and I figure that's when I'll eventually crash from hitting a pavement defect or crashing into an obstacle, etc., so I try to not drift too far!

I do ride the same few MPTs, and not on the road with the crazies, so there aren't many surprises.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:24 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the update and I hope the recovery continues to go well! It is amazing that medicine can fix us up better than ever. The pin in hip image is a show stopper, for sure! You sound like you are following doctor's orders, which must be key to a full recovery.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:48 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

SueJ. That class sounds excellent. I had PT at the hospital to make sure I could get in and out of bed, use the walker, and handle stairs but no OT. Maybe bigger hospitals are better able to cover that. A simple handout describing the challenges and available tools would help patients get a few steps ahead on the learning curve.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:04 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Ivansfan - I do worry that my accident proneness could be more than carelessness but I plan to keep on a bit longer with care. My previous two crashes were definitely careless user errors, particularly the one last year in France. I plan to slow things down a little, stop even occasional no hands riding, etc.