Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Any action required to stay on same Medigap plan?
Old 11-07-2022, 07:39 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Any action required to stay on same Medigap plan?

DH started Medicare in June and has original Medicare plus a supplement (AARP/UHC Plan G). Will his Medigap supplement continue automatically in 2023 if no action is taken? Or does he have to actively renew?

Thanks!
pirsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2022, 07:58 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nope - one time enrollment for Medigap when you start Medicare, that’s it. Just keep paying.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:18 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Nope - one time enrollment for Medigap when you start Medicare, that’s it. Just keep paying.
Great! Thanks!
Old 11-07-2022, 08:43 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Your plan will contact you each year because there is an annual premium increase each year.
Old 11-08-2022, 05:14 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Your plan will contact you each year because there is an annual premium increase each year.
Interesting. They have not sent us anything about 2023 yet. His Part D plan sent him a notice of increase, though, and he does plan to change that.
Old 11-08-2022, 05:17 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirsquared View Post
Interesting. They have not sent us anything about 2023 yet. His Part D plan sent him a notice of increase, though, and he does plan to change that.
It’s not necessarily by calendar year. It may be closer to birth month or some other month.
Old 11-08-2022, 05:20 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It’s not necessarily by calendar year. It may be closer to birth month.
Oh, okay. So they assume he will continue with the plan in 2023 unless he actively makes a change. He uses autopay and it doesn't get withdrawn until the 5th of the month. It just made me worry that we would miss some renewal deadline and not realize until January 5 and then it would be too late...
Old 11-08-2022, 06:15 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

No renewal, continual coverage. Just a notice sometime during the year about new rates. I think DH gets his notice mid year. He is also on UHC/AARP.
Old 11-08-2022, 06:16 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
No renewal, continual coverage. Just a notice sometime during the year about new rates. I think DH gets his notice mid year. He is also on UHC/AARP.
Great! Thanks!
Old 11-12-2022, 06:14 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Interesting. They have not sent us anything about 2023 yet.
I started Medicare in May of this year, one month before your husband. I have the AARP/UHC Plan G supplement, and my premium has already suffered an increase, effective November 1.
Pluperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 06:44 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluperfect View Post
I started Medicare in May of this year, one month before your husband. I have the AARP/UHC Plan G supplement, and my premium has already suffered an increase, effective November 1.
Oh, bummer, that seems soon to have an increase already DH just got mail today from AARP/UHC stating that he does not have to do anything to continue on the plan. They did not mention an increase. Yet.
Old 11-12-2022, 09:59 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Last year's company will continue your current policy unless you start a policy with another company.

In that case, the old company is notified and they won't renew your current plan.

If you've got Plan G, hold onto it. It and Plan F exclude prior ailments for new signees in some cases. And it's the only way you can get on Plan F if surgeries are in your future.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 08:14 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Last year's company will continue your current policy unless you start a policy with another company.

In that case, the old company is notified and they won't renew your current plan.

If you've got Plan G, hold onto it. It and Plan F exclude prior ailments for new signees in some cases. And it's the only way you can get on Plan F if surgeries are in your future.
Yes, DH definitely plans to stick with Plan G. We just wanted to make sure he didn't need to actively renew to keep it. Now that automatic renewal has been confirmed by both audreyh1 and now AARP/UHC themselves, we are all set.

Also, I don't think that Plan F is an option for new enrollees anymore.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:24 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
My husband's UHC Supplement policy renews in May, I think. It used to be in January but an increase got delayed to April or May several years ago and that's the way it has stayed.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 09:23 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, DH definitely plans to stick with Plan G. We just wanted to make sure he didn't need to actively renew to keep it. Now that automatic renewal has been confirmed by both audreyh1 and now AARP/UHC themselves, we are all set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
My husband's UHC Supplement policy renews in May, I think. It used to be in January but an increase got delayed to April or May several years ago and that's the way it has stayed.
Just realize they aren’t actually renewing. There is no renewal on Medigap plans, they go indefinitely.

There are annual price adjustments is all, but no changes in coverage like there often are with Part D.
Old 11-16-2022, 07:00 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Also, I don't think that Plan F is an option for new enrollees anymore.
Correct. If you didn't have Plan F before 2020, it is not an option now.
Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 07:33 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
Correct. If you didn't have Plan F before 2020, it is not an option now.

It can be an option if you were eligible before the cutoff date
grayv is offline   Reply With Quote