Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2016, 08:50 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
DH's high blood pressure might not have been caused by hypothyroidism, but when the latter was diagnosed and treated with Synthroid (twenty years now of taking that), his high blood pressure was also alleviated and the doc stopped the beta blockers he had been taking. Here is an article on secondary hypertension: Symptoms and causes - Secondary hypertension - Mayo Clinic
The OP's family member has HYPERthyroidism (too much thyroid hormone). Your DH has HYPOthyroidism (too little thyroid hormone). They are opposites.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2016, 08:52 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I take metaprolol 12.5 g morning and evening. They seemed reluctant to prescribe it. Any known side-effects by participants here?
Yes, there are dozens. Anything you fancy.

Common Side Effects of Lopressor (Metoprolol Tartrate) Drug Center - RxList
Old 12-17-2016, 08:52 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
The OP's family member has HYPERthyroidism (too much thyroid hormone). Your DH has HYPOthyroidism (too little thyroid hormone). They are opposites.
Yes, I know that, but I am pointing out that there are secondary causes of hypertension. Sorry that I was not clear. So never mind.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:55 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Also curious if anyone has had any issues with lisinopril. Coincidentally I had a frozen shoulder during the time that I took it. Never before and never since.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:56 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Yes, I know that, but I am pointing out that there are secondary causes of hypertension. Sorry that I was not clear.
I'm sorry if my post offended you. My reasoning was that introducing HYPOthyroidism into the discussion may cause confusion for some readers.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:02 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
Also curious if anyone has had any issues with lisinopril. Coincidentally I had a frozen shoulder during the time that I took it. Never before and never since.
I've been on it since 2012 and have had zero issues with it (20 mg/day). Well, except lower BP!
Old 12-17-2016, 09:19 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't know if that is the same as Fosinopril, another BP med, but Fosinopril was the prescription from Hades for me. Caused bad digestive upsets in my case, to put it delicately. :ermm: (EDIT: got my side effects mixed up.) Fosinopril caused a constant bad cough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I take metaprolol 12.5 g morning and evening. They seemed reluctant to prescribe it. Any known side-effects by participants here?
No side effects from Metoprolol for me. Plus, unlike Fosinopril, it actually does what it's supposed to do - - improves my BP readings.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:20 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My mother-in-law was on it for many years. Then, one day she started to have swollen tongue and lips, as if she had food allergy. It came and went for a few months.

Her doctor's PA could not identify the cause. Her grandson, a pharmacist, when heard of the problem, asked for her medicine list, and immediately told her that lisinopril was most likely the culprit. And that was indeed it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I took it for a few years after my body didn't like a beta blocker. I has no problems with it. One thing I liked was on beta blockers I felt bad if I took a dose late. Like I was having very high BP but it was normal. After switching to lisinopril I never had that feeling again.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Almost any drug has many, many potential side-effects. The warnings tend to be written by the drug companies legal departments and be incredibly broad and inclusive so that the can say 'Told you so' and with the knowledge that the 'fine print' is seldom read. That said, metoprolol is generally very well tolerated especially in people without pre-existing heart conditions. It has a calming effect which may be why MRG noted the 'feeling bad' if a dose was missed. It is banned in the Olympic shooting events and has been used by both snipers and surgeons to control anxiety and fine tremor.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:59 AM   #31

I believe lisinopril is what my MIL took for essential tremors. Every time she'd go into hospital they'd substitute another drug because they believed she was taking it for BP; then the tremors would worsen. She also insisted they weren't being controlled well enough (believed there was a drug that could cure anything) and badgered neurologist into upping dose, also some other drug. Ended up making her whacko, we though Alzheimers even. Wild hallucinations. Finally took her to another neurologist who weaned her off the doses and she miraculously improved.

Just another story of over prescribed medications without careful monitoring IMO. DW and I felt guilty for not recognizing the coincidence. Also, first doc about refused to give referral for 2nd opinion, which DW persisted on.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:14 PM   #32

Quote:
Also curious if anyone has had any issues with lisinopril.
It gave me a persistent cough. When I stopped the lisinopril the cough went away.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:45 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I was prescribed Lisinopril for BP back in 2009 but was switched to Metoprolol while still in the hospital probably due to tachycardia along with the elevated BP. I did okay with the Metoprolol as long as I didn't try to exercise. After I recovered from surgery I found that I got winded just walking. I complained about the Metoprolol to my doc and he switched me back to Lisinopril and I have no issues with it.

A physician friend was put on the cardiac cocktail after a mild heart attack and Metoprolol slowed his pulse down to the point that he felt like he was having another MI. I think his heart rate had dropped to forty or so. He got the dose lowered to where he could function again and finally got off the drug after a year.

Another friend had valva replacement and several bypasses and got Metoprolol also, felt like crap. His doc switched to a different beta blocker and he felt better in short order. I think Metoprolol and beta blockers are losing favor as a blood pressure lowering drug if you don't have other factors where the beta blocker is needed.
rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
The question in my mind is what malfunction caused the pressure to rise and how could that be remedied.

Can root cause be identified? Then corrected in addition to just treating the symptom. And eventually get off symptom control treatment.
My impression was that one root cause was too many salty french fries over the previous 20 years or so.

But you can get an Omron BP monitor and do some experiments on your own body.

1. What is your BP one hour after drinking lots of liquid and eating a bag of salty peanuts or pistachios?

2. What is your BP one hour after running 5 km fast enough to sweat enough to lose more than one pound of water weight and not drinking anything afterwards?

3. What is your BP after restricting salt from your diet?

4. I'm sure you can think of other experiments to try.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:01 PM   #35

I had high BP measured when I went to the doc several times in a row. Time to go on BP meds said the MD. Sorry, not interested. Besides, my BP is just fine at home. MD sent me home with a 24 hour blood pressure monitor. BP just fine when I'm not being interrogated by a pack of medical dogs. MD relented.

My mother had high blood pressure. Salt shaker? What's that? We did not have salt on the table or in the food after she was diagnosed. I can't eat most processed food or restaurant food because it's too salty. Try going to a burger place and ordering a burger and fries with no added salt.

BP does vary with the time of day and your hydration. It was interesting to see the variations in the measurements from the 24 hour monitor.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:29 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Almost any drug has many, many potential side-effects. The warnings tend to be written by the drug companies legal departments and be incredibly broad and inclusive so that the can say 'Told you so' and with the knowledge that the 'fine print' is seldom read. That said, metoprolol is generally very well tolerated especially in people without pre-existing heart conditions. It has a calming effect which may be why MRG noted the 'feeling bad' if a dose was missed. It is banned in the Olympic shooting events and has been used by both snipers and surgeons to control anxiety and fine tremor.
Thank you. I used to have issues with anxiety, better after retirement and changing diet and lifestyle. That makes sense of what it could be. Definitely not a typical panic attack as I unfortunately struggled with those for years. Sometimes when I did take a dose late there was an anxious situation around it. I never really talked to my PCP about it, just kept pills around.

Seems like I do recall stories about snipers taking beta blockers to steady their motor skills.

I'm just glad I got off of all meds, life is so much simpler now.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
My impression was that one root cause was too many salty french fries over the previous 20 years or so.

But you can get an Omron BP monitor and do some experiments on your own body.

1. What is your BP one hour after drinking lots of liquid and eating a bag of salty peanuts or pistachios?

2. What is your BP one hour after running 5 km fast enough to sweat enough to lose more than one pound of water weight and not drinking anything afterwards?

3. What is your BP after restricting salt from your diet?

4. I'm sure you can think of other experiments to try.
I don't have a BP problem. Don't eat Pistachios or peanuts. Almonds yes.
Don't run, gave that up exiting the Army, have zero intention to run, EVER.
Absolutely minimal salt in DW's cooking, don't do commercial foods and will not.

I can drive my BP systole to 180 and beyond when I do a 10 minute continuous high powered Jujutsu combat form, which includes 20 to 30 falls, punches kicks blocks etc.. In that I control speed, effort, timing, duration etc..

I do try to keep the effort level to around 160 systolic, only occasionally overdoing with way past youthful exuberance.

I can't be bothered to check BP while figure skating for an hour or two, as that is done for pure pleasure with moderate effort.

My curiousity was peaked by poster noting that no specific cause is known to cause Hypertension. 6miths gave several good explanations of current theories for which I am thankful.

I prefer to learn from other's screwups, problems, or scientific lit., or experts in the field, rather than abuse my smoothly functioning joints and other parts of 69yo body doing stupid sh*t.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:28 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

A few people I know eat very salty food, and it does not cause them any harm. Most have to watch their salt intake, however.

It may be difficult at first to cut back on the salt, but persistence pays off as one's taste gets readjusted. I now eat only unsalted roasted peanut, and no longer find it bland.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:49 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I don't have a BP problem. ….

I can drive my BP systole to 180 and beyond when I do a 10 minute continuous high powered Jujutsu combat form, which includes 20 to 30 falls, punches kicks blocks etc.. In that I control speed, effort, timing, duration etc..

I do try to keep the effort level to around 160 systolic, only occasionally overdoing with way past youthful exuberance.
I have never measured BP during exercise. The apparent fact that you have is quite interesting. Has anybody else done that?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:06 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
I had high BP measured when I went to the doc several times in a row. Time to go on BP meds said the MD. Sorry, not interested. Besides, my BP is just fine at home. MD sent me home with a 24 hour blood pressure monitor. BP just fine when I'm not being interrogated by a pack of medical dogs. MD relented.

My mother had high blood pressure. Salt shaker? What's that? We did not have salt on the table or in the food after she was diagnosed. I can't eat most processed food or restaurant food because it's too salty. Try going to a burger place and ordering a burger and fries with no added salt.

BP does vary with the time of day and your hydration. It was interesting to see the variations in the measurements from the 24 hour monitor.
Before I go to the doctor I measure my BP with the home monitor 20 or 30 times over the month before. I give the list to the doctor, which is essentially what a lot of the discussion of smart phone monitoring is about, interface medical devices (such as BP monitors) to the smart phone and have it send the results to the doctor.

I take atelenol as a beta blocker and Lisoprenol/HCTZ for BP. they have brought it down to 130ish over 80. Also take the heart rate 12 hours after taking down to the 60s.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote