Any Experience with Lipiflow for Dry Eyes?

Potstickers

Recycles dryer sheets
I have dry eyes related to ocular rosacea/blepharitis. Despite a lot of moist warm compresses and use of artificial tears, my eyes are still uncomfortable some of the time and look pink/red around the edges much of the time. My ophthalmologist suggests that I try Lipiflow to increase gland flow/decrease plugs, but it is not covered by my insurance. I'm curious if others have tried it and could describe the short and long-term effectiveness. I think it runs about $1,000, but I need to check on whether that is per eye or for the pair.

Potstickers-

Do you also wash your eyes with ocusoft? I do at least twice a day, a huge help for my dry eyes.

My wife has also has blepharitis. She uses plugs and Restasis. Jury still put.

Potstickers-

Do you also wash your eyes with ocusoft? I do at least twice a day, a huge help for my dry eyes.

My wife has also has blepharitis. She uses plugs and Restasis. Jury still put.

I use the Ocusoft wipes intermittently, but wash my eyelid margins with a washcloth and baby wash twice a day.

Doc didn't think plugs would help me -- felt that it was more that the Meibomian glands were getting blocked and not secreting enough oil. I have very blurry vision after using a hot compress, so I would guess that has some truth to it.

Restasis hasn't come into the conversation. He did suggest flaxseed oil and I've been taking it systematically for about four months. Hard to say if it is helping. So far, the warm compresses seem to be the most helpful.

I use Restasis with moderate positive results. I buy it through a Canadian pharmacy for less than my co-pay would be in the USA, but it is still expensive.

I also take NAC and fish oil, which might cloud my mildly positive opinion of Restasis. I used to suffer quite a bit as I work in Arctic Alaska (extremely low humidity) and live in the winters in Tucson (low humidity and blowing dust). So I'm not the best test case. If the cost doesn't bother you, try the Restasis and suppliments for 3 months and see.

What is this? I've never heard of it. Could you provide the brand name or the full name?

N-Acetyl Cysteine It is a widely available supplement amino acid. Useful for liver function, eye health and hair growth. Only modestly effective IME for any of those, but cheap and harmless.

I‘ve had dry eyes for the last 13 years following lasik surgery. I’ve not tried lipiflow, but have tried most of the other suggested treatments with limited success. Every year when I see my optometrist I get the same talk about drops, warm compresses, eye lid scrubs etc. until this year. At my last appointment the doc said my eyes looked great, no dryness at all! The only change was that I had been taking Aleve for several months for a shoulder injury. The doc said the anti-inflammatory was helping my tear ducts as well. That was in January. Fast forward to August, my shoulder pain has finally diminished to the point where I could stop taking the Aleve and suddenly my eyes are feeling dry and scratchy all the time... I went back on the Aleve and after 2-3 days my eyes feel so much better.

I still take flaxseed oil and use Systane Balance drops before and after bed, but the Aleve is, unexpectedly, the most effective treatment for me.

I manage my Dry Eye condition with fish oil. The challenge with fish oil is getting the right amount of a high quality product. I started with (and recommend) you start with https://prnomegahealth.com/products/dry-eye-omega-benefits/

It is expensive, but it very good quality. The recommended dosage is 4 capsules daily, but I needed 5 to relieve the pain.

I have since switched to Nature Made Omega-3 with Xtra Absorb

I take 4 of these a day. You want to get 3-4gms of EPA and DHA

I‘ve had dry eyes for the last 13 years following lasik surgery. I’ve not tried lipiflow, but have tried most of the other suggested treatments with limited success. Every year when I see my optometrist I get the same talk about drops, warm compresses, eye lid scrubs etc. until this year. At my last appointment the doc said my eyes looked great, no dryness at all! The only change was that I had been taking Aleve for several months for a shoulder injury. The doc said the anti-inflammatory was helping my tear ducts as well. That was in January. Fast forward to August, my shoulder pain has finally diminished to the point where I could stop taking the Aleve and suddenly my eyes are feeling dry and scratchy all the time... I went back on the Aleve and after 2-3 days my eyes feel so much better.

I still take flaxseed oil and use Systane Balance drops before and after bed, but the Aleve is, unexpectedly, the most effective treatment for me.

Funny that you mention the NSAID anti-inflammatory effects. I take Oracea (low dose timed release doxycycline) for facial rosacea -- it is considered an anti-inflammatory rather than antibiotic at that dosing, and each time I've tried going off it (because it doesn't seem to have great effect on my face vs. the Finacea foam) my eyes feel awful in a few days. The eye doc says he's not surprised about that. I'm going to ask him about the Aleve, which would be a lot cheaper -- but I'm not sure if that might not have other side effects.

I went so many years not thinking about my eyes and it is annoying to be aware of them frequently throughout the day. :(

Back
Top Bottom