Join Early Retirement Today

Any health suggestions for a younger guy?
Old 09-06-2021, 04:58 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Any health suggestions for a younger guy?

I'm in my mid-30s and would love to have a long retirement starting in my late 40s or early 50s. Health is obviously a huge components of this - what's the point of retiring if you're too unhealthy to have fun. I totally understand and accept that some things are truly random and can't be avoided (eg a close friend of mine died from stomach cancer in his late 20s despite being a lifelong athlete).

But my question is - for those of you that have retired, do you have any health suggestions for a guy like myself? If there's something you could go back and change, what would it be?

I'm thinking about making major life changes starting this week which include (1) quitting alcohol (2) getting into running and weightlifting (3) going to the dentist twice a year, no excuses (4) eating healthier...

Any wisdom you guys can share? (I apologize if this topic violates forum rules) Thanks for your time
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2021, 05:48 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

These ideas all seem good. Another good thing to work on is flexibility, so incorporate some stretching exercises or yoga. Another to consider is meditation.

The harder thing is to stay with them. For example, if you find you really don't like running, it's going to be hard to get yourself out there 2 or 3 times a week, or whatever your plan calls for. Better to walk or ride a bike if you like that and can keep it up. If you do like running but have trouble getting yourself out there regularly, sign up for a race. And maybe you don't have to quit drinking totally (unless it's really become a problem in your life), but instead limit yourself to 1-2 a week, perhaps.

It also helps to have goals, like target weight, BP, cholesterol level, running time and/or distance, etc. That way you can track and see progress. Sometimes I find I hit a plateau, but if I stick to it I break past it and resume improvements.

You asked about what I would go back and change. For me it would probably be focusing too much on running. It goes well until it doesn't. If I get injured, I don't have a good regime to fall back on to stay in shape. And I probably took it to an excess. I think some of the ultra distances I raced were too hard on my body and it's been hard to recover from those. It seems like you are looking to do a variety of things and I think that's great.

Good luck! If it helps, post your plans and goals when you set them, and come back periodically to report how you did. Or chart them privately if you'd rather. Some accountability to yourself and others can be a motivator.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:51 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Focus on the basics:

1. Sleep. Get the right amount on a consistent basis. Google "sleep hygiene" for details.

2. Hydration. Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and sugared drinks. I drink only water, decaf tea (still a tiny bit of caffeine, I know), and sucralose-based cranberry juice.

3. Nutrition. I like Pollan's rule: "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." Google "pollan food rules" for details.

4. Exercise. Stretch, weightlift, cardio, preferably on a regular schedule. Whatever works for you that you'll keep doing is best. I do treadmill and the 20-minute circuit at Planet Fitness.

5. See a primary health doctor once a year for a check up. Get the basic things screened - blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar. Pay attention to your health status and try to nip problems in the bud. Stay on top of vaccines and preventative screenings. It really is cheaper and more enjoyable to have a minor skin cancer snipped than to die from skin cancer, or a adenomatous polyp removed than to face colon cancer.

And given the "New Year's Resolution" vibe to your second-to-last paragraph, I'd suggest incorporating changes slowly and building on them over the long term. It is really easy to be super motivated, try to make a bunch of changes all at once, and then get discouraged and give up when the health needle doesn't move as fast as you want it to. Slow and steady wins the race.

HTH.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:04 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The things you said are the right concepts. The key thing I would add is find a way to use your motor vehicle less. Make exercise a part of your daily life for going places and doing things. Bike or Walk to work. If you live too far to bike all the way, drive part of the way and bike the rest, etc. The easiest way I think about this is make my motor vehicle my second choice for going everywhere.

When exercise becomes part of your daily life, it makes it much easier.

The eating healthier part is likely more important. Find a dietician or other professional who can teach you about healthy eating. Or, you could find books. Take the time to learn needed calorie consumption. Calories in different foods. etc. How to understand a food label. And how/what to order when going out.

Good luck. You are working on an important effort for yourself.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:23 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Only permanent changes have value so don’t go crazy and burn out.
captain3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:27 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Get a health checkup.

If your blood sugar or triglycerides are on the high side, learn about metabolic health. A lot of standard diet advice (eat low fat, several small meals a day, etc.) can actually damage your health.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:47 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Running isn't necessarily healthy. While it is cardiovascular exercise, it's also very hard on the joints so it could boomerang as something you regret doing when you're older as you may get hip/knee/ankle problems limiting your mobility. If I were you (and it *is* something I've done for myself) I'd find alternative cardio activities like swimming or even the boring elliptical at the gym.

Weight training is probably the #1 thing you can do for your body for fitness into your later years. Gaining and maintaining muscle mass, tendon strength and bone density is life changing as you age.

Also +1 to what Audrey said - understanding metabolic health and eating accordingly can make a huge difference in the long run as a way to avoid typical chronic health issues of later age.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:51 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Those are excellent to be thinking about. Here are some others:

-Take care of your joints, particularly if you run or do cutting sports
-Get regular skin cancer screenings especially if you spend a lot of time in the sun
-Stay out of intense sun. Always wear sunscreen when outside, especially face, neck and ears. Helps to avoid skin cancer plus sun damage is cumulative and irreversible. It makes you look older.

Be positive and optimistic. You will be happier and it's good for mental health.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:58 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
... Be positive and optimistic. You will be happier and it's good for mental health.
Truer words were never written.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:04 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
These ideas all seem good. Another good thing to work on is flexibility, so incorporate some stretching exercises or yoga. Another to consider is meditation.
I remember when John Glenn was training to be an astronaut at age 77 he said he had exercised regularly throughout his life & the one thing he wished he had done differently was "more stretching." That made a great impression on me.
lucky penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:04 PM   #11

Joints, joints, joints. Take care of them. Which to me means weights, yoga, and low impact cardio. Running was my thing and I miss it every day. But it’s hard on your body.

And minimize sugar, especially in its added form.

Doing those two things will go a long way, imo.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:07 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio View Post
I'm in my mid-30s and would love to have a long retirement starting in my late 40s or early 50s. Health is obviously a huge components of this - what's the point of retiring if you're too unhealthy to have fun. I totally understand and accept that some things are truly random and can't be avoided (eg a close friend of mine died from stomach cancer in his late 20s despite being a lifelong athlete).

But my question is - for those of you that have retired, do you have any health suggestions for a guy like myself? If there's something you could go back and change, what would it be?

I'm thinking about making major life changes starting this week which include (1) quitting alcohol (2) getting into running and weightlifting (3) going to the dentist twice a year, no excuses (4) eating healthier...

Any wisdom you guys can share? (I apologize if this topic violates forum rules) Thanks for your time
@sergio great post, you are on the right track.

It's similar to managing your finances - live below your means, which means don't push your body over the limit. Sleep, diet, exercise and mental health are some main areas to focus on.

Eat quality and the right quantity of food. Don't be obese.

Forget fad or trick diets. Like intermittent fasting/keto/South Beach/Atkins/Paleo and the like.

Avoid intoxicating substances for example drugs and nicotine. Use no alcohol or sparing amounts if you must.

Get regular sleep each night.

Exercise regularly. Walking/hiking, biking and swimming are my preferences at the moment.

Develop a mental health regimen. I further suggest this includes a faith component. Meditation, reading, and putting yourself on a journey or to-do list in the mental health arena is helpful. I recommend joining a faith group, or attending religious gatherings on a regular basis.
chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:23 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Often overlooked and very important is to keep your stress under control. That could mean breathing exercises or meditation. Find what works for you and do it regularly.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:40 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. There were a couple new things I picked up (eg the importance of flexibility, lowering stress) which I'll try to work into this new routine.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:09 AM   #15

I think walking is great! It's not hard on your joints like running can be. It's safer than cycling. About the only drawback is the extra time it takes but you'll have plenty of that when retired. I agree that maintaining flexibility is critical as we age. If I regret anything it's overdoing weights: I'm convinced that contributed to torn rotator cuffs in both of my shoulders requiring surgery when I was 66 and 67. Rehab for those surgeries is a miserable experience.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:36 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
I think walking is great! It's not hard on your joints like running can be. It's safer than cycling. About the only drawback is the extra time it takes but you'll have plenty of that when retired. I agree that maintaining flexibility is critical as we age. If I regret anything it's overdoing weights: I'm convinced that contributed to torn rotator cuffs in both of my shoulders requiring surgery when I was 66 and 67. Rehab for those surgeries is a miserable experience.
I was in the absolute best shape of my life when I lived in Hong Kong... I swear I'd walk at least 2 hours a day just as part of normal life, and we'd be out walking all weekend when my wife and I were not working. And I never once had and pain or injuries. I do agree that walking is probably the best thing you can do, though my doctor suggested that 4-5 jogs of 3 miles (very slow, easy jogs on a soft surface like a dirt trail or treadmill) to boost my cardiovascular system. Thanks for the heads up about weights, and sorry to hear of the awful surgery/rehab
Old 09-07-2021, 09:12 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

For a healthier life, which hopefully leads to a longer life, I would recommend(not necessarily in order of importance)
1--Yearly medical checkup, including lab work, immunizations
2--Twice yearly dental check up
3--complete vision exam at least once
4--healthful eating, drink plenty of water/good hydration
5--regular exercise, in whatever form your like
6--some form of daily positive affirmation for stress reduction--meditation, journalling, deep breathing exercises, Calm app, etc.
7--religious connection if that is important to you
8--time with family and friends!

Best of health to you!
Old 09-07-2021, 09:20 AM   #18

Dental care is really important, and you're smart to see that. Depending on how healthy your teeth are, consider looking into additional care you can do, such as protecting your enamal by using oral rinses to increase the ph in your mouth after eating or drinking acidic things.

Having the kinds of serious dental issues that tend to happen later in life is a real drag. Some procedures, such as grafts and implants, are not only expensive but can take months to complete. That can cut into your exercise routine at a time when your fitness level drops off faster during inactivity and is harder to regain because you're older. It can also be quite depressing to deal with, not to mention painful.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 11:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio View Post
I was in the absolute best shape of my life when I lived in Hong Kong... I swear I'd walk at least 2 hours a day just as part of normal life, and we'd be out walking all weekend when my wife and I were not working. And I never once had and pain or injuries. I do agree that walking is probably the best thing you can do, though my doctor suggested that 4-5 jogs of 3 miles (very slow, easy jogs on a soft surface like a dirt trail or treadmill) to boost my cardiovascular system. Thanks for the heads up about weights, and sorry to hear of the awful surgery/rehab
Don't get me wrong, I still think some weight training is a good idea but I believe it's easy to overdo it especially as we age. As for torn rotator cuff, the surgery was out-patient and pretty easy but your arm goes in a sling for six weeks followed by two to three months of physical therapy that is extremely painful at times. I was retired; I don't know how folks with jobs requiring any physical activity cope. They say it can take a year to get 100% shoulder strength and motion back and I wouldn't argue with that.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:05 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Not being facetious, but choose good parents. A big factor in health and length of life is genetic. I've heard estimates of from 30% to 50% of health/longevity is controlled by genetics. Obviously, you need to do all the stuff mentioned above - especially a good attitude and avoiding the major issues (smoking, over eating, over use of alcohol, lack of exercise, illicit drugs, etc.) Oh, and wear your seat belt religiously!

I read something once (years back) that indicated approximate "costs" of certain behaviors. I was surprised that most of the "bad behaviors" cost only a few years - except smoking which was (IIRC) around 10 years. Now, "health" WAS affected by many of the bad behaviors (obesity was "bad" but we've figured how to keep folks alive with heart disease and diabetes, etc. So you feel bad, look bad, can't do much, but you still live a near "normal" life span.)

Oddly, some smokers seem to have less issues than others - and this is apparently traced (again) to genetics.

SO, I've now told you way more than I know about the subject and thus YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote