Any idea what is wrong with my knee?

harllee

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am female, age 67, in very good health, not overweight and get a fair amount of exercise. I have never had any problems with this right knee before. Three times over the last couple of months my right knee has acted up. It happens during exercise, once during a long brisk walk, once while doing yoga and yesterday while dancing. I am hit by bad pain in the upper inside of the back of my knee, maybe in the area where the hamstring attaches to the knee. The pain is so bad I cannot walk (had to get help to get to the car, had to call my DH to pick me up when on the walk). No pain in the front of the knee, no pain while sitting or lying, no pain getting into or out of a chair. In all three cases I went home and did RICE (rest, ice, elevate and compression) and in all three cases the pain starts going away in an hour or so and is totally gone in a couple of days. Two years ago I had a torn meniscus in the other knee and had it repaired, the problem with my right knee seems totally different from the torn meniscus. I guess I am going to have to back to my orthopedic doctor about this but it will take a while to get an appointment and probably by the time I get the appointment the knee will be perfectly fine. Any ideas about what is going on and any ideas of things to do, stretches, etc. ( I already do hamstring stretches as part of my yoga routine, I am pretty flexible for an old lady). Thanks for any suggestions.

Could be a number of things: Baker's cyst, hamstring, arthritis, tendinitis, blood clot or others. If it's that bad, I would go to the doctor and have him/her check it out.

Possibly bursitis. A doc visit and ultrasound will be a good way to get a diagnosis.

I agree about seeing a doctor. My wife was shopping in Aldi's one morning and click her knee was killing her. She barely made it back to the car.

She went to the doctor, and he said a knee replacement is all that would relieve the pain. We were in the process of going to Europe, and she went in a wheelchair. As soon as we returned home 6/2018, she had a knee replacement. She hurt for 4 months but suddenly the pain disappeared. We just returned from Europe and she was walking 8-10 miles per day--and navigating steps of the underground just fine.

Last week, she had to have shoulder surgery, and it was in terrible condition. When it rains it pours.

I agree with Baker’s cyst possibility but my wife had the same pain and it ended up being meniscus

Could be a 'loose body' - basically cartilage or bone that's broken off and floating around in the joint. I apparently have one of those in my left knee, that they found recently via MRI..that, or basic degeneration (OA).

I'm 12 years younger than you and am a bit envious of your otherwise good knee health..I've got a LOT of miles on my knees (elliptical every day for 25+ years, roller blading, biking, hiking, walking regularly) and they're starting to develop OA symptoms. Really sucks as even walking is difficult at the moment. Did 3 miles today and felt every step of them..

Do you have any trigger points around the knee or even elsewhere on the same leg? Acupressure and yoga often work for my knee pain. I have some massage tools, massage balls and foam rollers that I have found very helpful.

Your pain is in the area of a bakers cyst. But you didn't mention having swelling. I have one on and off, but I have very little pain. Just tightness and swelling. Your extreme pain tells me that it is probably something else. Yep - go to the doc.

Possibly hamstring or bursitis.

I wish I knew what is causing your knee pain. But, I'm a retired oceanographer, not a medical doctor, and to be honest I don't have the slightest clue as to what your symptoms might mean.

If it was me, I'd continue with the RICE treatments but also I'd be on the phone first thing in the morning making an appointment with an orthopedic doctor. He or she can do xrays or other diagnostics and figure out what is going on.

What W2R said... about the doctor...

My guess, based on the "sharp" pain, some muscle stress impacting the tibial or fibular nerves.

Keep us informed. :flowers:

If I hurt as bad as you did (can't walk), I would already have made the appointment.

Could you have pulled a muscle? A pulled muscle will go into a very painful spasm, in an effort to keep you from using it.

Ah, it's just old age. You will get used to it.

Last year, I got out of bed one morning with a sudden pain in the right shoulder. Did not do any hard work the day before. I did not lose the use of the right arm, because it mostly hurt and hurt badly when I lied down on my right side.

I was going on a planned 2-month RV trip immediately after that, so had no time to go to a doctor. Over the trip, the pain subsided very slowly, and when the trip ended I was already doing better so asked myself why bother to go to a doctor.

I am completely normal now. If nothing else, nobody can accuse me of adding to the healthcare cost of the US.

I was joking. Not recommending anyone not to seek medical help. :)

On the other hand, my wife has had pain in her elbow joints, on and off. Doctor could not find anything, so she just toughs it out now. That's old age wear and tear, I guess.

PS. I just remember that my sister complained of some sudden leg pain recently. It went away after a week or two. Yep. Old age again.

Could be a number of things: Baker's cyst, hamstring, arthritis, tendinitis, blood clot or others. If it's that bad, I would go to the doctor and have him/her check it out.

+1

Im working on same problem. to many possibilities

OP here, doing better. Not ready to dance yet but I am walking OK. I am not taking any pain medication. I have no swelling so I doubt it is a bakers cyst. Could be a torn meniscus. I had one in the other knee but it was in the front of the knee and totally different pain and the pain never went away. I am still think it is a hamstring problem because the pain is actually above the knee joint. Still doing RICE as much as I can. The ice does help. I also have a TENS machine and it helps. I have called for a doctors appt with my orthopedic surgeon but with the holidays I have not yet been able to get an appt yet. If it is a torn meniscus I am not going to rush into surgery, without giving other things like PT a try. For sure I am not ready for a knee replacement. I have 3 friends that have had failed knee replacements so I have seen the worst outcomes. With only occasional pain over a couple of months my doctor would just laugh if I asked about surgery at this point.

Thanks for all the advice.

Last edited:
Forgot to take the occasion to post again a favorite quote of mine.

"You know you are old when everything hurts. What does not hurt does not work" -- George Burns

Check out one of the lesser-known menisces: the PCL. In any case, a good orthopedic surgeon can advise you.

Check out one of the lesser-known menisces: the PCL. In any case, a good orthopedic surgeon can advise you.

Never heard of the PCL, looked it up, a tear to the PCL is usually caused by a blow to the knee which I did not have and there is usually swelling which I have not had. In any event the treatment for a torn PCL is RICE which I am doing until I can see the doc.

Go see an orthopedist. They will probably take an X-ray and if nothing obvious shows up they may prescribe some PT. I had a problem a couple of months ago after running bases, had it checked and was sent for PT. I think the underlying cause was muscle related as the PT resolved the pain although the Dr did say I had some wear and tear on the backside of my kneecap.

I was joking. Not recommending anyone not to seek medical help. :)

On the other hand, my wife has had pain in her elbow joints, on and off. Doctor could not find anything, so she just toughs it out now. That's old age wear and tear, I guess.

PS. I just remember that my sister complained of some sudden leg pain recently. It went away after a week or two. Yep. Old age again.

Yeah, that’s what my PCP chalks up any new pain to.

Take Collagen Peptides and apply Cannabis Hemp Hot Cream .. my knee pain has improved a lot

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom