Join Early Retirement Today

Any info on Amino Acids?
Old 06-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Any info on Amino Acids?

I have been going to the gym on a somewhat regular basis for 1 1/2 years... DW got me into Zumba and I do it 2 to 4 times a week (mostly 3)...

However, I have muscle soreness a few days later... my sisters said that I needed protein, so I started to drink a protein shake... but, the last month or two my legs have been hurting.... I have not changed my routine so it is not me exercising more...

Now I am told that I should be taking amino acids along with the protein... BCAA being the one suggested....

SOOO, does anybody here take this? Does it work? What 'dose' are you taking?

I have read a few articles, but they seem to be from the industry that sells this so I do not know what to believe.
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #2

Seems to me that asking random strangers on the internet about what supplements you should take for vague symptoms is just going to lead to trouble.

Have you asked your doctor? Have you had a recent physical with blood workup?

I have some thoughts on this problem but there is no way I would make recommendations without far more to go on.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #3

I probably wouldn't be on-board with supplementing with some magic powder that had these branch chained aminos, but that's just me.

Meat includes all eight essential amino acids, including the branch chained ones.

Although the "Transcend" book, that I just pulled off my bookshelf addresses exercise and supplementing in many forms, they don't call out those amino acids. They say you only need one gram of each of the essential amino acids per day per kilogram of body weight.

If you read this article about resistance exercise and cognitive decline, they name off whey, creatine, glutamine, vitamin d, carnitine, omega-3 fatty acids and d-ribose as well as BCAA's as nutrients that boost muscle mass and strength. They say that whey contains lots of BCAA's, or you can get them separately.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:16 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'd say see the doctor. I don't think you can assume anything about the cause.

Amino acids what proteins are made out of. You can get plenty of protein and amino acids from real food.

People eat a varied diet to get all the essential amino acids.

I do plenty of exercise and never have relied on special supplements or shakes, not even when I was doing a lot of weight lifting and working with a trainer - and I did lose a body fat and gain quite bit of muscle. The supplements are really for body builders who go on special diets and try to pack on massive muscle. Not for regular exercisers trying to increase fitness and add some muscle.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I have been going to the gym on a somewhat regular basis for 1 1/2 years... DW got me into Zumba and I do it 2 to 4 times a week (mostly 3)...

However, I have muscle soreness a few days later... my sisters said that I needed protein, so I started to drink a protein shake... but, the last month or two my legs have been hurting.... I have not changed my routine so it is not me exercising more...
When I get muscle soreness it is generally from doing an unfamiliar exercise or going at something too vigorously (not working up to the exercise requirements).

If it were me, I'd back off a bit from the exercise and find the point where muscle soreness is not an issue. Then build up to the full exercise in a controlled manner.

Some stretching could also be helpful. Hopefully the Zumba instructor includes a warm up.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

JERF (Just Eat Real Food).
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I go to the gym, i push around a little iron , and maul the heavy bag. Lately im more sore, i think we are getting old.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:49 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
This seems to work for me, and I am well over 60.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:53 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Now I am told that I should be taking amino acids along with the protein... BCAA being the one suggested....

I have read a few articles, but they seem to be from the industry that sells this so I do not know what to believe.

I would not even consider protein supplements or amino acids. A normal American diet likely has more protein than any of us needs.

Ha
Old 06-19-2017, 08:23 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
When I get muscle soreness it is generally from doing an unfamiliar exercise or going at something too vigorously (not working up to the exercise requirements).

If it were me, I'd back off a bit from the exercise and find the point where muscle soreness is not an issue. Then build up to the full exercise in a controlled manner.

Some stretching could also be helpful. Hopefully the Zumba instructor includes a warm up.
Yeah getting old ain't for sissy's.
We took six months off from our weights. The first time back didn't feel too bad, for a while. We didn't go back for an entire week.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:30 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Seems to me that asking random strangers on the internet about what supplements you should take for vague symptoms is just going to lead to trouble.

Have you asked your doctor? Have you had a recent physical with blood workup?

I have some thoughts on this problem but there is no way I would make recommendations without far more to go on.

Since this forum has a wide breadth of knowledge I come to ask questions... any answer I get I research as best I can...

So yes, I come to strangers to hopefully point me in the right direction... and it was my sister who was a nurse who suggested it, so the first person who said anything had some medical knowledge....

Yes, I have been to the doc but at that time I did not ask about amino acids... when I mentioned it she said I had really tight hamstrings and should use some stick massage thing to help... I am still looking at that option but there seems to be a few and she did not say which one... I did not get the results back, but she is getting some other medical records before I go back to talk to her...
Old 06-19-2017, 08:31 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I mostly do... DW is very good at that...
Old 06-19-2017, 09:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Agree. The vitamin and supplement industry is at best a waste of money. Very few vitamins (eg folic acid in very early pregnancy) have been shown to be beneficial in routine supplementation and several have been shown to be harmful. Supplementing amino acids in the absence of a specific reason also not likely to be a good idea. I recall the story of Mark Fitzpatrick, an NHL goalie, who was likely poisoned by a supplement. http://www.nytimes.com/1993/01/24/sports/hockey-goalie-winning-at-a-dangerous-game.html
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:37 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Agree. The vitamin and supplement industry is at best a waste of money.
I'm glad two physicians agree!

Unless you have a vitamin deficiency, there is no point in taking supplemental vitamins. Too high a vitamin intake also has risks. As for amino acids, they are the building blocks of proteins. Protein that you eat is broken down in the gut to amino acids before being absorbed. Too much protein has side effects too. Any adult who eats a healthy balanced diet that includes meat, fish, eggs, chickpeas, quinoa, other protein sources does not need supplemental amino acids. There are rare exceptions such as certain disorders of metabolism, but they are rare.

JERF means real food, not processed crap.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #15

While I agree that much of the vitamin and supplement hype is just that, a logical perspective would force one to admit that there might be something "good" out there that has yet to be proven.

For instance, most physicians now agree that it's unhealthy to have a vitamin D (25-hydroxy) below 30ng/mL. But 10 years ago, I'd bet most people would scoff at people who were supplementing with vitamin D. "That's unproven", they'd say. "A waste of money". I'd bet they'd even have said "dangerous", since it was considered fat soluble and could build-up. But now, hmmm, vitamin D is a thing.

Vitamin D is just one example. One that applies to everyone. Fish oil is another. And most doctors I've gone to also recommend a daily multiple vitamin and mineral in addition to a healthy diet. If you have a specific condition, there are other supplements that are pretty much universally recommended for people in that situation. None of that stuff was common a decade ago, but is close to universal now.

To presume we've already found all of the helpful additions to food doesn't make sense to me. There's got to be more compounds that we've yet to discover as helpful to human health. The question is, do you wait until every doctor on the planet is recommending it, or do you go for it when it's less than universal agreement?
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
While I agree that much of the vitamin and supplement hype is just that, a logical perspective would force one to admit that there might be something "good" out there that has yet to be proven.

For instance, most physicians now agree that it's unhealthy to have a vitamin D (25-hydroxy) below 30ng/mL. But 10 years ago, I'd bet most people would scoff at people who were supplementing with vitamin D. "That's unproven", they'd say. "A waste of money". I'd bet they'd even have said "dangerous", since it was considered fat soluble and could build-up. But now, hmmm, vitamin D is a thing.

Vitamin D is just one example. One that applies to everyone. Fish oil is another. And most doctors I've gone to also recommend a daily multiple vitamin and mineral in addition to a healthy diet. If you have a specific condition, there are other supplements that are pretty much universally recommended for people in that situation. None of that stuff was common a decade ago, but is close to universal now.

To presume we've already found all of the helpful additions to food doesn't make sense to me. There's got to be more compounds that we've yet to discover as helpful to human health. The question is, do you wait until every doctor on the planet is recommending it, or do you go for it when it's less than universal agreement?
+1 on that
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #17

The only supplement that I have felt a difference by using is magnesium. When I am doing a lot of hard hikes and backpacking trips I get something that feels like restless leg. If I take a magnesium supplement I don't have that problem. If you take a magnesium supplement (I use magnesium citrate) start with a low dose because your body will quickly eliminate any magnesium it doesn't need.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:47 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

If the symptoms are bothersome, I'd see a doc at least to start. Before taking supplements (which often are not regulated like drugs) I'd research them carefully. Most folks get plenty of vitamins, minerals and protein from food. If you are NOT getting these things in sufficient quantities, the issue may NOT be that you are not EATING enough of them - rather it may be that your body is not absorbing them or otherwise utilizing them. If that's the case, it's definitely a doc visit for you - in my totally unprofessional, uneducated opinion (since YMMV.)

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post

I was hoping that Meadbh would reply, alas....

I often ask students and residents 'what does our T-shirt say?'. Most know even as students that is meant to say, 'first do no harm.' Yes there may be some supplements that prove beneficial in the future but the current list is very shortl and personally I don't think that it is a good thing to ply ourselves with all sorts of other crap which is not proven to be of benefit and definitely harmful to the pocket book if nothing else. More and more good studies are suggesting harm. I mentioned folic acid that is such a slam dunk for preventing neural tube defects when given to women just before and in very early pregnancy (prior to 28 days after conception) that many governments decided to put folic acid in foods that everyone eats (eg flour). The benefits have been dramatic in the target population. Interestingly, there is now suspicion that unforeseen adverse effects are occurring. Vitamin D has been shown to be beneficial as well. There is no 'good' evidence for fish oil supplements.

Anti-oxidants (Vitamin E, A and C, beta-carotene, and selenium) were all the rage for years and in theory they should work but many, many trials say that they don't. The most respected medical database for evidence (the Cochrane Collaboration) has the following statement about anti-oxidants: 'We found no evidence to support antioxidant supplements for primary or secondary prevention. Beta-carotene and vitamin E seem to increase mortality, and so may higher doses of vitamin A. Antioxidant supplements need to be considered as medicinal products and should undergo sufficient evaluation before marketing.' And Vitamin C and selenium don't beat placebo or nothing. History tells us that many things in medicine 'seemed like a good idea at the time'. Blood letting? Radical mastectomy?

Any doctor who currently recommends routine multi-vitamin supplementation is wrong. Doctors aren't immune to marketing either it turns out and it is a multi-billion dollar industry.

I'm going with Meadbh's JERF for the back of my T-shirt next time I teach the nutrition module.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:13 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

^^^^ This.

Meadbh was busy, but thanks 6smiths for the excellent response. I couldn't have put it better.

PS. JERF t shirts are available on Amazon. This is one fad that I hope will never go out of style.