Join Early Retirement Today

Any powerlifters on ER?
Old 04-13-2019, 03:34 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Any powerlifters on ER?

I got into powerlifting back in 2013 and even entered some competitions. Early on, I injured myself pretty good because of bad form. Once I got the form down, I started going heavy. My 1 rep maxes were ok and I finally topped 1,000 lbs on the big 3 in 2015 (age 49).

Squat - 380
Bench - 240
Deadlift - 485
Overhead press - 145

I had a heart attack in 2015. 3 main arteries clogged 80%-90%. No damage to my heart. Doc thought the powerlifting might have helped save me. I stopped lifting after that. Kindof got the awf#*$its.

Feeling pretty good nowadays so I am getting back into it. Well off my old 1RM's but man, does it feel good to move iron again.

Anyone else into powerlifting or olympic lifts?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #2

Not me, that's for sure. But I have a friend who did over 1,600 in his late 30s. Kind of boggles my mind, but if you love it, do it!
Old 04-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #3

I have a friend that is into it. She keeps trying to convince me to get into it. I’m sure I’d feel better with some actual strength but I’d not likely ever get into it at a competitive level.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #4
gone traveling

When I was in my early 60s, I enjoyed the heavy compound lifts, but never considered myself a power lifter, although the thought of competing did cross my mind. I didn't have PBs as high as your #s, but after a back injury and a serious hospital stay, I lost strength and backed off a lot. Now I am mostly working out for better mobility, flexibility and functional strength for softball.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #5

At 63 my only goal with strength training is maintenance. I don't push the heavy stuff anymore. 75-100 lb barbells for all the basic exercises 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps.
So far I have avoided any serious injuries but have minor chronic shoulder and lower back issues that crop up when I try to do the stuff I did in my youth.

However it sounds like you know what your doing so more power to ya!
Old 04-15-2019, 07:47 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I tried a few powerlifts about 10 years ago (age 46) when I was in decent shape, but I was strictly an amateur with a home gym with no formal training. At a weight of 165 pounds I managed to :

- bench press 260
- squat 370
- deadlift 380

So, I topped 1000 and probably could have gone higher but never bothered to take the next step. Now I'm 56 and don't go anywhere near that heavy any more.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:25 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

I lift on a regular basis and usually stick to a basic 5 x 5 program using the 5 major compound lifts (bench press, deadlift, squat, Overhead press, bent over barbell rows) with a few tweaks and accessory exercises.

I usually strength train 3 days a week - M-W-F. I rotate between 2 workouts:
  • A= Squat, Overhead press, Deadlifts
  • B= Squat, Bench press, Pendlay Row (or t-bar)
Here are the tweaks -
Instead of the flat bench- I switch to incline bench every other work out. It works the upper chest area that my DW likes. When I do the inclines, I finish off the chest with weighted dips.

Instead of back squats, I switch to front squats every other workout. It works the core, adds a balance component, and I've also dramatically increased my wrist flexibility.

The last tweak - I do power cleans with an overhead press instead of just an overhead press. I put 135 on the bar and do 30 reps as quickly as possible. This is usually done last because it really gets the heart a pumpin"!

JAGOTI
Old 04-16-2019, 06:59 AM   #8
gone traveling

I'd also say that success as a powerlifter may depend on your body type. Most powerlifters are carrying a lot of bulk and usually have shorter arms and legs. That is not to say that thin, longer limbed individuals are not strong enough, but that would be atypical for most powerlifters.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:26 AM   #9

Girl, here. When I was 50 I was at the top of my weight for various reasons (230 lbs.) which is obese. I went to the local gym, hired a trainer and started lifting. I don't remember the weights but they gradually got heavier, I got stronger and with 1/2 of treadmill aerobics and walking (not running) I lost 100 lbs. and have kept it off for 12 years. I loved the weights and still semi active with them but not as regular. Back then I lifted 3-4 times a week.

Bench
Squat
Back leg lift, front leg lift and press
Overhead press
Weight sit ups
Side leg lift with weight

I am forever grateful for that trainer. I know all the moves. He forced me to come back for every session by threatening to charge me full price whether I showed up or not (I had signed a contract). That incentive changed my life.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:33 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Like Jagoti I did 5x5 for many years using basic compound movements. I've since increased the reps to 5x8-10, but am still using the basic compound movements.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:35 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Not a powerlifter, but I used to bench press around 300 when I was in my mid 20's. That was the closest I ever got to powerlifting. Now I just do dumbbell exercises.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I'd also say that success as a powerlifter may depend on your body type. Most powerlifters are carrying a lot of bulk and usually have shorter arms and legs. That is not to say that thin, longer limbed individuals are not strong enough, but that would be atypical for most powerlifters.

Very true. Just like in every other sport, body composition/type is a huge factor in one's success or lack thereof.

I'm all for lifting heavy weights and the benefits of doing so, but as I've gotten older, I've gone in the direction of higher reps and less weight, mainly because I don't want to injure my joints.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:41 AM   #13
gone traveling

Early 40's here. I used to lift heavy but after a herniated disc surgery, I do lighter weights. I also enjoy other activities such as mountain biking and running, so I don't want to be too bulky either.
snowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:48 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
Very true. Just like in every other sport, body composition/type is a huge factor in one's success or lack thereof.

I'm all for lifting heavy weights and the benefits of doing so, but as I've gotten older, I've gone in the direction of higher reps and less weight, mainly because I don't want to injure my joints.
+2. I have a friend who is a PT at our club. His point is that unless you plan to compete, one is better off with more reps. I do 2 x 12 reps at a weight that challenges me to get the last three to four reps of the 2nd set completed.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:52 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post

Squat - 380
Bench - 240
Deadlift - 485
Overhead press - 145
I used to powerlift when I was in HS. I started lifting again in 2009 after not touching a weight for 25 years. When I started back we did a lot of crossfit lifts including a lot of cleans.

Those are pretty solid numbers. I haven't tried to squat or deadlift that much just to avoid injury. I do still lift but it's mostly kettlebells, dumbells and trx bands.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:13 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

my BIL was the Oklahoma state powerlifting champ 242 pound class for a few years. Then he tore his pec really bad benching. That was the end of his powerlifting career. He used to work out with Rickey Dale Crain.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:15 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I get 750ml Costco glass bottles off the top shelf nightly.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

All interesting responses.

I am 61 and since retiring got into weight lifting, not powerlifting. Do 5 - 8 to 12 reps of focused lifts - squat, bench, overhead, .. and also situps and pullups. I am definitely stronger then when I retired 4 yrs ago.

I was wondering - how long should we expect to gain strength (even just a little) lifting, when do we just maintain, and when do we start declining as we get into our 70s and 80s and 90s .... I would love to be as strong at 90 as I am now.
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
All interesting responses.

I am 61 and since retiring got into weight lifting, not powerlifting. Do 5 - 8 to 12 reps of focused lifts - squat, bench, overhead, .. and also situps and pullups. I am definitely stronger then when I retired 4 yrs ago.

I was wondering - how long should we expect to gain strength (even just a little) lifting, when do we just maintain, and when do we start declining as we get into our 70s and 80s and 90s .... I would love to be as strong at 90 as I am now.
I think most back off as they age due to increasing risk of injury, but that might depend on when you started lifting. If you have been lifting your entire life it would probably be very difficult to ramp up much in one's 70+ age range, while relatively new lifters that started later in life can make dramatic gains. Also, T-levels generally decline and that can dramatically effect strength. That said, you can probably keep incrementally ramping up weights slowly until you can't go any higher or your form is negatively impacted or you sustain an injury.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:54 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

I do weights (machines) 2x a week and bands 2x a week and dancing about 5x a week or so. Doing this maybe 7 years now. Like walks in the park too. Around and around and around the track. lol
Built more like a elf (runner) than an orc so never experienced easy muscle gain.
Maxed out my chest presses 2 yrs ago slowly increasing by a couple pounds a week for a while until sort of blowing out my right wrist. Dropped to 50% and just maintain it now.

I do walk by a xtreme fitness place adjacent to where I go dancing a couple times a week. Maybe I will get infected by a muscle growth virus?
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote