Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great news! I hope it continues to work out for you.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been using a single reading contact for about 10 years. I love it. I take the lens out every night and have never gotten good at putting it in. I have to use a magnifying mirror and lok at my eye while placing the lens in -- but it has became routine quickly. A couple of years ago I added a slight plus lens on my distance eye to improve distance vision. That is useful when I need a lot of acuity (the trip to Africa I just completed) but I skip it most of the time.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Update.

I found the single vision +1.75 contact to be too weak for reading so the doc gave me a +1.5 multi-focal lens. Yes!!! Perfect integration between the distance and reading eye and 90% of what I need for reading.

The doc also gave me a prescription for +2.0's dailies because they are useful when I know I'm going to be reading a lot or doing a lot of computer work on a particular day. Veeeeeeeeery thin contacts!

The doc gave me one more multi-focal sample to use until the multi-focal order came in because I had ripped the one I'd worn for 2 weeks. I've worn the latest one for only a week but I found (using my loupe) a small sliver of the edge missing. What in the heck am I doing to these things? Am I ever going to get a month out of one? They are "approved" to be worn for a month straight and I have a feeling that's the only way to get them to last a month. My neighbor has put them in on Day 1 and taken them out on Day 30 for many years and has never had a problem although he said they only lasted 2 weeks when he was going through chemo.

I am also trying out my new glasses. The optical folks at Costco have been very helpful. They were very uncomfortable to start with but I think we've got them adjusted so it doesn't feel like my head is in a vise! I've also discovered my old glasses are now much more uncomfortable than I remembered. The nose and ears much prefer the contacts!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #24

I'm interested to know how your multifocal works out. They currently aren't available in my prescription (too much astigmatism and farsightedness) which is why I'm still on monovision with reading glasses for long periods of reading or computer work (and for singing, since I don't want to misread the notes). Good luck and thanks for sharing your story.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote