Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone drop son or daughter to save on health $
Old 11-14-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone drop son or daughter to save on health $

Just wondering if anyone has considered dropping a 21 years old son or daughter from your health insurance to save on health insurance $. My thought is DD has little to no income and would qualify for virtually free health care as she is mainly a student. My health care should drop going from 3person family to 2 persons covered. I don't get any $$ subsidy and must pay full cost currently. I would still "help" daughter pay for health care via gifts. Does this work??
LiveBelowMeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You should check it out both from your perspective and from hers. Do you provide more than half of her support? Claim her as a dependent?

https://www.healthcare.gov/young-adu...lege-students/

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveBelowMeans View Post
Just wondering if anyone has considered dropping a 21 years old son or daughter from your health insurance to save on health insurance $. My thought is DD has little to no income and would qualify for virtually free health care as she is mainly a student. My health care should drop going from 3person family to 2 persons covered. I don't get any $$ subsidy and must pay full cost currently. I would still "help" daughter pay for health care via gifts. Does this work??
Where would she get the free healthcare?
Old 11-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd say it depends on your current situation with your DD.

If a 21 yo is living independently, then surely they should pay for their own expenses.

If you are still supporting your DD (like having agreed to pay to send them to college or letting them live at home) then you should do whatever you agreed to such as paying for food, shelter, health care.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Where would she get the free healthcare?
With little income as a college student she'd probably qualify for 100% of an ACA policy premiums to be covered by subsidies. I think that's what OP is referring to as "Free" (hence the "gift her money" to help her pay for anything out of pocket)
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:38 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I get no benefit claiming DD as a dependent due to phase out.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

yes exnavy,
my thoughts exactly
Old 11-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

LBM -

No, never did that myself.

In your case, there is absolutely no way for you to make the decision unless you determine exactly what coverage she could obtain and at what cost. Then, and only then, can you do a cost/benefit analysis and make a decision. Go find the specific coverage she would have and the cost. Compare that side by side with the situation she has while tagging along on your coverage. Your answer will appear.

Until you go get the specific information, we're just chit-chatting about a hypothetical situation.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
With little income as a college student she'd probably qualify for 100% of an ACA policy premiums to be covered by subsidies. I think that's what OP is referring to as "Free" (hence the "gift her money" to help her pay for anything out of pocket)
She would only qualify for ACA subsidies if (among other criteria) she made more than 100% of FPL if she lives in a state which did not expand Medicaid, or more than 133% or 138% of FPL if she lives in a state which did expand Medicaid. FPL is $11,880 for ACA coverage next year.

In other words, if she is a typical poor college student, she might make too little to qualify for ACA subsidies.

If she makes under 100% of FPL, she may qualify for health insurance or health care for "poor" people, like Medicaid.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
She would only qualify for ACA subsidies if (among other criteria) she made more than 100% of FPL if she lives in a state which did not expand Medicaid, or more than 133% or 138% of FPL if she lives in a state which did expand Medicaid. FPL is $11,880 for ACA coverage next year.

In other words, if she is a typical poor college student, she might make too little to qualify for ACA subsidies.

If she makes under 100% of FPL, she may qualify for health insurance or health care for "poor" people, like Medicaid.
^^^^^ This. You need a minimum amount of income to qualify for ACA coverage. She may be able to get on with Medicaid though.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:43 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I think one also needs to look at the quality of care she can expect to receive and the size of the network she would be in.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #12

Quite the contrary, I do everything in my power to keep my children 24 & 19 on my medical, dental and vision insurance.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #13

The university offers insurance for students that is better than if I kept my daughter on my ACA policy. Basically it's a "group" of students that all have access to the on-campus health clinic, but would go the the university hospital for the more serious stuff. The price for the policy seems reasonable to me ($90/mo). And they have it set-up so that students returning the next fall are covered continually, even though they might not be in a summer program. So the answer is 'yes', I 'dropped' her from my policy, but still end-up paying for her, since she's not independent yet.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:52 PM   #14

Dropped DD from my retiree coverage and bought her a non subsidized individual policy last year. I saved a bit on monthly premium by accepting more risk if there's a significant issue. This next year there's only one policy I can find that will provide adequate coverage for her both here and at school (and then wherever she goes after spring graduation).

Biggest question is how long the bank of mom & dad will provide reinsurance, whether that's monthly premium or catastrophic costs. Right now, it's more important to us that we can sleep at night so better networks, manageable risk, and flexibility win out over lowest cost.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

If you are on a retiree policy, you have to consider if you could add her back on later if she had no insurance coverage. If you can't then that could be a potential future problem.

Also, bear in mind, that the ACA may not exist in the very near future. Which means your daughter either might not be able to obtain insurance or it might be far more expensive.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:14 PM   #16

You're correct katsmeow, already researched prior to moving her to her own policy. Dependents are not allowed back on the retiree coverage once removed. That is definitely another consideration for OP if applicable.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:30 PM   #17

Our son turns 25 this year and will get his own ACA plan this year. We're going non-ACA since we won't qualify for a subsidy and the ACA plans are awful and expensive. He's now working but missed open enrollment. Started work end of August, open enrollment ended Sept 2 (teacher). We haven't decided on dental yet.
EastWest Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I am assuming you are not getting any credit back....

But, if you are, then it might not make sense...

I was helping out one of DWs friends sign up.... we thought her daughter would qualify for CHIP... so we looked at plans for the friend... got a net number.... then decided to take a look if we put her daughter on also... the net cost dropped!!!

Yes, with a credit it was cheaper to have two people insured than one...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:11 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

OP said it was a no subsidy situation.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:44 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I was curious, so add a hypothetical 21-year old son to see the additional premium. It would be a bit more than $200/month for me.

Pre-ACA, it was not that much. In fact, when I dropped my daughter when she had her real job, then my younger son later when he flew the coop, I remember being disappointed that the premium did not go down as much as I expected. It was $80 or something for each of them.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote