Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone taking Tricor?
Old 10-09-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anyone taking Tricor?

Turns out my triglycerides are higher than the DJIA, so doc has prescribed Tricor, 145mg. Ah, the "golden years"...

Wallyworld charged me $80f for a month supply, but through my prescription drug plan at w*rk, it's either $30/mo retail, or $25/mo via snailmail...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Did your doctor discuss trying long-acting Niacin? Works well for most people, but flushing can be a problem. Gradual dosing and long acting varieties reduce that probability. There are a few other cautions and side effects but most can do very well with it if it's wisely prescribed.

Costs no more than a few bucks and has the added benefit of lowering LDL cholesterol, and raising HDL cholesterol.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yes, I took Tricor for years. The 145mg did a great job in lowering my triglicerides... 18 months ago with the concurrence of my doctor, I stopped take Tricor and Zilcor and replaced it all with vitamins, minerals, fishoil, borage and flaxseed oil. Both my cholesterol and triglicerides have been nomal for my last 3 blood tests. (I don't know if this will work for everyone.)
Lookin2Enjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've taken Tricor since open heart in 2003. Seems like you automatically go on a bunch of meds after bypass surgery. It's done great for me. Along with that, they put me on Plavix, Metopropol and Crestor. A year later, my doctor took me off Crestor and put me on Vytorin. My numbers are great but I'm going ato talk to him next week at my physical about the Vytorin. This is the same guy that put me on Vioxx prior to my open heart surgery. Make sure I'm not being misled.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm on Tricor. Zocor did a great job but my Dr. didn't like what it did to my liver enzymes numbers, so she switched me to Tricor. I was on the low dosage and it helped my numbers but over a 3 month period it didn't help enough so I just went to the 145mg and she'll check the numbers in a few months.

Anyone else notice.........constipation..?? I was taking it in the morning and developed a problem, so I switched to bedtime and it's much better. I just have to eat a lot of fruit or salad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Turns out my triglycerides are higher than the DJIA, so doc has prescribed Tricor, 145mg. Ah, the "golden years"...

Wallyworld charged me $80f for a month supply, but through my prescription drug plan at w*rk, it's either $30/mo retail, or $25/mo via snailmail...
There is a generic version which may save you some money -
Fenofibrate Information from Drugs.com
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I take it before bed; no problem with the plumbing, but I'm groggy as hell in the morning...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote