Appealing Social Security/Medicare Decision

powerplay

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am interested if anyone has made an appeal to SS regarding medicare coverage and how it played out?

My situation: applied for medicare in Nov.(1 month after my eligibility date of Oct.) expecting it to be effective on Jan. 1, 2020. I met with a SHIBA volunteer a few months ago and his understanding was that a Nov. application should result in a Jan. starting date. Medicare and Social Security publish info on the web that I followed which should have resulted in a Jan. starting date. So what happens is SS back dates the starting date to Nov. 1st for Part B. I called Medicare and was told to call SS. I called SS and was told I had to file an appeal which I plan to do. This is very frustrating and is causing issues with my current medical care. I just got a letter from my insurer today denying my invoice for durable medical equipment because medicare is now my primary provider. I can't go back and unbuy things I already purchased and the prescription from my radiation oncologist was a couple months ago.

I've satisfied my max out of pocket under my FEHB much earlier in the year and was hoping to avoid additional $$ in 2019 which includes Part B premiums.

I'm wondering what my chances are of getting the start date changed to Jan. 1 2020??

Next week I will meet with a sales person to go over and sign up for a MA plan that overlays my FEHB plan. Hopefully she can tell me what to expect and have some suggestions.

I had a problem with my Medicare getting cancelled (someone stole my Social Security payments and as part of that getting straightened out my Medicare got cancelled). I went round and round with SS and Medicare trying to straighten it out but got nowhere. Finally I called my Congressman and his office got my Medicare reinstated in a day.

So if nothing else works call your Congressman's office.

I had a problem with my Medicare getting cancelled (someone stole my Social Security payments and as part of that getting straightened out my Medicare got cancelled). I went round and round with SS and Medicare trying to straighten it out but got nowhere. Finally I called my Congressman and his office got my Medicare reinstated in a day.

So if nothing else works call your Congressman's office.

Thanks! That's what I will do if I'm not successful with the appeal. I remember your thread and all the frustration you went through, wow!

Back
Top Bottom