Join Early Retirement Today

Applying for an Off-Exchange Plan - do you have to medically qualify?
Old 11-25-2019, 09:29 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Applying for an Off-Exchange Plan - do you have to medically qualify?

If you are signing up for an off-exchange plan to start January 1, are you subject to medical review? I'm having trouble getting a straight answer on this.

Potstickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2019, 12:36 AM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

You are not.

RetireRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:15 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you don’t qualify for ACA subsidies it is usually more convenient to bypass the exchange and buy directly from the insurance company you have selected. The rules are exactly the same. No medical underwriting. Keep in mind the Dec 15 deadline.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:06 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potstickers View Post
If you are signing up for an off-exchange plan to start January 1, are you subject to medical review? I'm having trouble getting a straight answer on this.
There are three types of off-exchange plans. The ACA-compliant ones with Bronze, Silver, Gold or Platinum in the name or description do not have medical underwriting.

Short-term Medical (STM) plans are purchased off-exchange. They have medical underwriting, exclude pre-existing conditions, and have other coverage limitations.

Health Care Sharing Ministry (HCSM) plans usually have a waiting period before pre-existing conditions are covered. They are not regulated.
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:29 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you!
Potstickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:19 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

as others have said - you don't have any medical review when buying direct.

My wife and I are ending our COBRA coverage early and picking up a plan direct from the insurance companies. We decided to use an insurance broker for the process. They were familiar with all of the plans offered in our area, knew which hospitals/care networks took which types of insurance and guided us to our plan. Also, they suggested (rightly) that we pick up our vision and dental directly (not via the health care insurance) as the vision/dental offered by the health care insurance provider would have made our eye/dentist people out of network.

The insurance broker gets a small fee from the insurance company - not from you. They cost you nothing. One of the nice things was they filled out all of the paperwork - tracked it - and when the insurance company got something wrong (they messed up our primary care physician), the broker went about contacting them and getting it corrected for us.
DenverGuy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:01 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I bought off-exchange for the first couple of years of ACA. I was able to get features I wanted (like PPO and HSA) that were not available on Healthcare.gov. Other than having to buy direct from the insurer, all the ACA rules were the same, and everything I saw was ACA compliant.

Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote