Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-17-2021, 09:21 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I go to my PCP every 6 months for maintenance. I do have some health issues so he has to prescribe the 6 month medication. I think it’s super important to do physical exams as well as blood tests which I do. I get the comprehensive test.

Age doesn’t matter. I think one should do it even in 20’s.
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2021, 03:35 PM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm 36. I had my last physical at like 26. I'm planning to do them annual from now on. They don't cost anything with insurance.
teej1985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 03:43 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayVee B View Post
I'm in my late 50's (3 years from FIRE) and other than my regular dental and eye exams I seldom go to any doctor. It's not out of fear or anything. I just think if nothing is wrong, why go. Went to my primary care physician today because I had a mole removed. (I do go if I notice changes in what is normal for me.) He asked when was my last physical. It's been well over a decade. And I maybe see the doc once every two years to get antibiotics for a sinus infection or some such thing or for, say, emergencies that would require stitches.

I do understand sometimes things will be caught early that can be taken care of before they become larger, untreatable issues. But I'm in generally good health. My cholesterol runs just a little high (genetics) and as long as I limit my coffee intake my blood pressure stays within an acceptable range. No family history of cancers or major other issues, slightly overweight according to charts (205lbs @ 6'1") and I'm much more active at my age than my parents (both still living in their 80s') were at this age.

So, are annual physicals really necessary?
Yes. Your only healthy until out of nowhere one day you’re not.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 04:03 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, especially starting about your current age.

As you age, you'll find that the annual "clean bill of health" gives you confidence and reassurance.

You'll have a relationship with a doctor, such that if something suddenly happens you'll have someone to call who will see you in less than three months. If you get a kidney stone, the PCP will know which urologist to see and which to avoid.

S/he will have you get annual blood tests, which can give early warning of problems, and whose history and trends will be helpful if you suddenly have symptoms.

Depending on your skin history, you possibly should be seeing a dermatologist regularly. Some PCPs will do a skin check and fix smaller things, but it's better to be an established patient if something nasty shows up.

People differ on this, but I'd suggest an annual PSA test. The trend now is to ignore this data by never getting it, but I'd prefer to ignore it AFTER getting it, if I so choose. My doc just told me there are lots fewer 60-ish guys getting it now, and lots more 70-ish guys showing up with advanced prostate cancer.

I also started seeing a cardiologist annually at age 57. My dad had a heart attack at 67, but that was of course before statins and everything else. I told him I want to be his most boring patient, and so far I am. As heart problems are the thing most likely to kill a male early, I think this is a good thing to do.

Pick a regular month for these. January, December, or your birthday month. Schedule next year's appointment when you leave this year's, and put it in your calendar program. Have your PCP order your blood tests a week or two before your string of appointments.
isisdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 04:06 PM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I agree that the full physical where you get poked and prodded may not be necessary for many of us, but I think it's wise to get your blood work (lab tests) done every year or two. Most of it is easy to interpret on your own, since the lab report will show the "normal" ranges for every value. Abnormal values can often be a sign that something is wrong enough that a visit to the doc would be a good idea. And by maintaining your own records you can spot trends if particular values start going up or down more than small amounts.

Since you can order your own lab tests these days (paying out of pocket), it's not such a big deal anymore.

I like requestatest.com and walkinlab.com for ordering tests.

We started doing our own gut and functional medicine type testing through places like walkinlabs and the gut testing companies. The regular tests the GPs just seem to screen for things like high cholesterol or high blood pressure. But you'll never know if your akkermansia bacteria are too high, your molybdenum levels too low of if you have leaky gut from those kinds of tests.

Hippocrates said years ago all disease begins in the gut. Recent research shows that is seeming more and more true. AI programs can now tell what kinds of diseases many people have just by getting a poop sample and examining the types of bacteria, yeasts and fungi and their proportions compared to healthy controls. Disorders like heart disease, colon cancer, breast cancer and Alzheimer's are linked to certain microbiome changes. It is affordable now to get gut tests every month or so and try to optimize your microbiome. This seems more logical and effective to me than the annual check up and pills for what is off kind of care.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 04:22 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

All I know is that my mother had a malignant polyp at 79 which was caught in her normal colonoscopy. It was removed with no problem and she lived to the ripe old age of 98. Enjoying a bourbon every once in a while. Get your physicals and get on with living.
Old 11-19-2021, 04:41 PM   #87
Dryer sheet wannabe

Physician in his sixties here. Annual physicals are good to the extent that your provider can get to know you, urge you to follow health guidelines and order labs.

The last two you can do yourself in most states through:

Discountedlabs.com
(while it sounds fishy, they get a discount from a nationwide, reputable Quest Lab.)

The annual physical in my opinion is overrated because if you are so concerned about your health, then you should be exercising regularly, watching your sedentary time and keeping up with heath suggestions. No different that this financial forum; no only cares more about you than you.

https://choosingwiselycanada.org/health-check-ups/

FWIW, I only get an physical since I can't do my own prostate exam. Otherwise the visit is a waste of time for me.
Old 11-19-2021, 04:47 PM   #88
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
But you'll never know if your akkermansia bacteria are too high, your molybdenum levels too low of if you have leaky gut from those kinds of tests.
Not to hijack this thread but . . . . It's no stretch to call this "fringe" testing. The science behind good or bad gut microbiome is still in its infancy. Ask the lab if they have a CLIA certificate (they won't because only labs which have been shown to yield helpful information are certified.)
Old 11-19-2021, 04:51 PM   #89
Dryer sheet aficionado

Physical caught early skin cancer and colonoscopy caught non cancerous polyps which can turn into problems. Nether was causing a problem when found, but eventually would have.
valsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 04:52 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Annual physicals (wellness checks), prostate exams, every 3 -5 year colonoscopy will help set you up for an opportunity to get an early warning. The only cost is your time & transportation cost.
Old 11-19-2021, 05:18 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafmd View Post
.........FWIW, I only get an physical since I can't do my own prostate exam. ........
I don't know. I used to go to a physician who gave me a digital prostate exam and observed that my prostate felt a lot like his.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 06:19 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

The annual physical is a good thing and also checking your blood work especially for a male have your PSA level checked.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 06:35 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I don't know. I used to go to a physician who gave me a digital prostate exam and observed that my prostate felt a lot like his.
Good setup for lots of responses, but I will refrain.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:52 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafmd View Post
Not to hijack this thread but . . . . It's no stretch to call this "fringe" testing. The science behind good or bad gut microbiome is still in its infancy. Ask the lab if they have a CLIA certificate (they won't because only labs which have been shown to yield helpful information are certified.)

Most of the tests come from Quest or Labcorp, the standard places the hospitals and doctors use in my area. A look on Pubmed shows these tests / results may not be common but are all research backed by studies in peer reviewed medical journals. All the microbiome studies are pretty recent. DH was diagnosed with a disorder and given pills that masked symptoms. For the same disorder, Pubmed has literally hundreds of studies that showed improvement from various prebiotics, probiotics, fermented foods, certain exercises, diet changes, supplements, acupuncture, microbiome changes, etc. What is fringe to you is what I would call science backed studies and testing involving healthy lifestyle changes.

ETA: Forgot to add companies llike Genova, Great Plains and Doctor's Data to the Quest and Lab Corp test, all do a vast array of gut and functional medicine tests, and all are CLIA licensed.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:04 PM   #95

How long would you wait to get maintenance on your car?
You probably go somewhere or diy at least once or twice a year.
You can replace an old car. Can you replace your body if it gets too old?
In your 50's and 60's, that check engine light gonna come on.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:03 PM   #96
Full time employment: Posting here.

I see my doctor every 2 years so he can order blood tests to monitor for possible cancer, liver or kidney disease, and common screening on the likely causes that may shorten my life. I do email my doctor for consultation. For example, I caught COVID19 which I recovered but I had a severe constipation and stomach ache. My doctor prescribed great medication which solved my discomfort so I can recovered at home. I also consulted my doctor on my need for a vaccine since I had natural immunity and he recommended taking the first shot while the second shot was optional. Since I am 70, I consider myself to be in good health because I still go snow skiing, play basketball and I bike every morning for 90 minutes. I am not in excellent health so I ask my doctor on what I can do to live longer. I really believed my doctor is helping me live longer.
2177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:51 AM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayVee B View Post
I'm in my late 50's (3 years from FIRE) and other than my regular dental and eye exams I seldom go to any doctor. It's not out of fear or anything. I just think if nothing is wrong, why go. Went to my primary care physician today because I had a mole removed. (I do go if I notice changes in what is normal for me.) He asked when was my last physical. It's been well over a decade. And I maybe see the doc once every two years to get antibiotics for a sinus infection or some such thing or for, say, emergencies that would require stitches.

I do understand sometimes things will be caught early that can be taken care of before they become larger, untreatable issues. But I'm in generally good health. My cholesterol runs just a little high (genetics) and as long as I limit my coffee intake my blood pressure stays within an acceptable range. No family history of cancers or major other issues, slightly overweight according to charts (205lbs @ 6'1") and I'm much more active at my age than my parents (both still living in their 80s') were at this age.

So, are annual physicals really necessary?
I was like you. Doctors are for sick people. That all changed 14 years ago when I was 53. I developed an unexplained, constant horrific itching. Went to doctor. Got bloodwork. Next appointment, doctor comes in with his eyes wide, looking horrified. Asked me if I had any other symptoms. I must be in terrible pain. Nope. Nothing else but the incessant itching. Tells me my liver enzymes are in the 700s when they should be around 35. Now I'm horrified but tell him it's a mistake. More bloodwork. Same results. Got referred to a gastroenterologist who says we're going to be friends for a long long time. I'm sick to my stomach. She orders a liver ultrasound and it wasn't good. I have severe scarring. It's cirrhosis but they don't call it that anymore because of the sigma. I don't drink. I begged her to tell me what caused this. She said they don't know. It's an autoimmune disease. Since 2007, I have been taking 7 pills every day. There's no cure except for a liver transplant. They don't even know how long I had this problem but if I had had a physical years earlier, they might have been able to stop the damage from getting worse. I also must get colonoscopies every 3 years because my mother died from colon cancer and it's hereditary.
HGTVFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:01 AM   #98
Administrator

I must say that I'm far more willing to go to the doctor now that I'm retired than I was when I was working and somehow had to find a way to fit it into my impossible schedule.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:33 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Sounds possible but I'm going to hope that he had a really good memory rather than think this was an actual real time comparison.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:21 PM   #100
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
I do understand sometimes things will be caught early that can be taken care of before they become larger, untreatable issues.
I struggle to understand how someone could REALLY understand this idea, but could still rationalize differently and follow that up with a ‘but....’

I asked my kids to think of your health as a bicycle ride down a long pier, in the dark with a blindfold on. When we start as kids, the pier might be miles or tens of miles wide for some, and only very narrow for others. As we pedal along through life, the pier WILL get narrower and narrower. We cannot avoid the eventuality. However, there are little tricks we can take to stay centered on the pier. Some are obvious: don’t drink too much, don’t shoot up heroine, don’t play Russian roulette. Some are less obvious and even controversial. Think of regular checkups, blood tests, and the finger up the rear-end as you own little peek over the top of the blindfold to see if we’re drifting closer to that coming edge.
JeffyD is offline   Reply With Quote