Are boomers less healthy than their parents at the same age?

Sandy

Full time employment: Posting here.
A new National Institute of Aging study, notes that those born between 1948 and 1953 were less likely than their parents to describe their health as "very good" or "excellent," and they were more likely to report difficulties with routine activities, such as walking a short distance or lifting 10 pounds.

This study fuels continued debate as the affect this generation will have on SS and Medicare. Some see increased costs, others see high expectations for health coupled with early detection that will result in better disease control later.

Health and Retirement Study
http://hrsonline.isr.umich.edu/

Sandy said:
A new National Institute of Aging study, notes that those born between 1948 and 1953 were less likely than their parents to describe their health as "very good" or "excellent," and they were more likely to report difficulties with routine activities, such as walking a short distance or lifting 10 pounds.

This study fuels continued debate as the affect this generation will have on SS and Medicare. Some see increased costs, others see high expectations for health coupled with early detection that will result in better disease control later.

The operative word here may be "report." My parents' generation expected to be limited if not frail in their older (meaning over age 50) years, so their likelihood of reporting arthritis of the knee (for example) may have been low, compared to boomer tennis players whose knee messes up their game.

Any clues in the text of the research to suggest that this might be playing a role?

Rich_in_Tampa said:
The operative word here may be "report." My parents' generation expected to be limited if not frail in their older (meaning over age 50) years, so their likelihood of reporting arthritis of the knee (for example) may have been low, compared to boomer tennis players whose knee messes up their game.

Any clues in the text of the research to suggest that this might be playing a role?

Beth J. Soldo of the Population Aging Research Center at the University of Pennsylvania, who led the analysis said in an article in the Washington post, it is "unclear whether boomers are really sicker or are simply more health-conscious by dint of being better educated and having better access to information. They may also have higher expectations, making them more likely to notice and complain about aches and pains that earlier generations would have accepted as just part of getting older."

OTOH, "self-reports of health tend to be powerful predictors of risk of death at any given age"

So, like the question of whether this generation is saving enough to retire, seems the jury is still out on whether this generation is really sicker (obesity and associated diseases), has different expectations or a bit of both depending on who you ask.

Considering that the expected life has increased a LOT between the two... I will vote whiney..

I wonder if increase weight of americans and diabetes is part of the reason...

My tendency is to believe the data is erroneous or the interpretation of the data introduces bias that leads to the wrong conclusion.

Hmm, let's see, by age 50 my Dad had three knee surgeries and had four vertebrae fused in his lower back. He went out on disability for the rest of his life (over 30 years so far). Didn't have blood pressure meds until he was over 65.

Mom was diabetic at 27. Uterine cancer at 27. Broke a knee at 50. Had a hip replaced at 57.

By comparison, I've only had one knee arthroscopy and one rotator cuff repair. Still slaving, running, and fighting an average of once a week. No blood pressure problems, no diabetes, and no broken bones. Stress, well, let's not go there.

I'd have to vote for more whiney. Although better educated and less inhibited in talking about their aches and pains does sound better. I'd still vote whiney. And the Gen X'rs are even WORSE!

in my family it seems to depend more on the person than on the generation.

grandfather was still playing 8 hours of tennis every day even in florida summers through his 70s. mom never smoked, drank only socially and kept a very good figure until alzheimer's took over. in my generation most of us are stay in pretty good to great shape with a few stragglers who fell into unhealthy patterns.

whenever i get lazy about my body i think of how i want to be when i'm much older. do i want to have trouble getting out of a chair or do i want to have a body like grandpa? it's a pretty easy decision. i find the older people at the gym very inspirational. we have quite a few of them. one guy who i swim with every so often is in his mid 80s and does about 10 laps (about 70 feet each way) almost every day. real nice guy. losing his wife so that's sad. but he keeps himself as healthy as he can.

getting old sucks. but there's no way around it. so i figure i might as well make it as easy for myself and as pleasant as i can.

My recollection is grandparents who did not exercise beyond dictates of job and domestic chores, aunts and uncles who were "old" in their 40's. My dad was realizing the necessity of working out in the late 1970's when he was knocked down by lung ca at the age of 52 (was on a ship near A bomb testing, working in and around steel mills, smoking for 20 years). My mom found yoga in her late 50's and knows to keep walking, working, shoveling, mowing, etc. into her late 70's. Now, most of the people I know over 60 who work out, ski, play tennis, walk the golf course, and/or lift wieghts are more fit than many of the students I teach in my college comp course. In that class, several smokers and fast food addicts and most don't know an empty carb from a carbuncle.

I think its interesting that there is still the idea that "Its all in your head".
Maybe its the reverse. People in older generations just sucked it up. My dad will have dental work with no pain killers. I just think thats nuts. Plus there parents were likely gone by the age they are now. So its relative ?

Well, my aging guru is Dr. Walter Bortz.

Over and over he stresses exercise.

Here's a link to living to 99 steps for becoming 100.

Number 76: Quote:
Live Longer with Exercise
Fitness for a young person is an option. Fitness for older people is an imperative. As I have already stated, a fit person of 70 is similar to an unfit person of 30.

That it is still possible for older people to become fit should come as no surprise. It is nature's way of guaranteeing survival. Older brains, like older muscles and hearts, respond vitally to use.

Keep Your Clock Wound
When my older patients tell me of their inactivity and offer age as an excuse, I immediately counter with stories of individuals such as Ivor Welsh and Paul Spangler, who didn't run until late in their lives and were able to run full marathons of 26 miles into their 90s. It is not age but desire that determines the boundaries of physical activity. The accomplishments of older athletes are amazing and only getting better. Some performances of athletes in their 70s and beyond are strong enough to have won them Olympic medals 50 years ago. I anticipate the day, not far away, when centenarians will be boasting performances that once were held to be those of only highly gifted athletes.

We also have better diagnostic tests.

You know at a much younger age that your cholesterol is high and you are at risk for heart disease or that you have high blood pressure. So, you may respond that you are not as healthy, but you are being treated and should last longer than your parents/gransparents

When the parents and grandparents were asked the same questions at the same agea, they were blissfully ignorant of undiagnosed underlying disease so reported good health. Then they got hit with the big one down the road.

So, is being aware sooner the same as being sicker?

Back
Top Bottom