Join Early Retirement Today

Are Pensions bad for cognitive function?
Old 10-30-2019, 08:22 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Are Pensions bad for cognitive function?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1029131506.htm

"Early retirement can accelerate cognitive decline among the elderly, according to research conducted by faculty at Binghamton University, State University of New York."

Based on China data this time

RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

What if you retired early on investments instead of a pension?
Old 10-30-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What if you retired early on investments instead of a pension?

I suspect the study underrepresented the impact of intellectual challenge on retained cognitive ability. Use it or lose it. I'd bet money that, given interesting opportunities, those retirees could more than compensate for the observed 0.2 sigma decline.

The years when I was in grad school, studying hard every night, were also the most productive of my career. I was in the best cerebral shape of my life, demonstrably sharper and quicker then than I am now. The constant exercise I put my brain through carried over into facets of life unrelated to the academic work.

I don't plan to vegetate in retirement. But after 4 decades I've grown weary of my professional skill set, so whatever I do pursue will entail learning something other than engineering. Will those future less technical subjects be easier and therefore insufficient to support my current level of mental muscle? Maybe.

But even if it costs me a few IQ points, if it's more fun then so be it.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:06 AM   #3

Wordy article that repeats itself in every paragraph. IMHO, our pension takes stress out of our life. I can be social and involved in many things. Exercise and take on challenges if I so desire. I think my cognitive ability is better than when I was working.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:11 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Was a desk jockey working in base 16 and base 2 math most of my life. Effortless at it. Complex.

Now I'm trying to crack the nut of framing math as I work on various projects. Just what do all those numbers on a speed square mean?

Ya gotta just look to new things. I actually didn't find any intellectual challenges that interested me in my old job, damaging my cognitive function while working late career.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:17 AM   #5

I find that I use my mind in different ways than prior to retirement. The 3 years of law school after I retired exercised my mind in ways I don't think I have before. Now with that adventure behind me (about a year and half ago), I have had to find new ways to keep the mind sharp. In lieu of watching/reading the never ending "bad news cycle", I have found myself reading scholarly articles and some pretty dense court opinions on obscure subjects. Or, reading up on trying to hack a thermostatic shower valve.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:31 AM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Chinese data? “Retirement is bad for you so no benefit will keeps you smartest.” Most humble CCP.
ClayMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:23 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetMD21 View Post
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1029131506.htm

"Early retirement can accelerate cognitive decline among the elderly, according to research conducted by faculty at Binghamton University, State University of New York."

Based on China data this time
Interesting, thanks for the link. There could be some survivorship bias in the sample, more people with pensions survive while people without pensions suffer from poorer health and health care.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:24 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Interesting, thanks for the link. There could be some survivorship bias in the sample, more people with pensions survive while people without pensions suffer from poorer health and health care.
I suspect this is a significant factor.
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #9

I am fortunate enough to get two modest pension checks each month. Based upon this research, I have nicknamed them dumb and dumber. And yup, if I must risk potential cognitive decline while being happily retired, It's a risk that I eagerly accept.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:59 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I used up all my brains earning a pension.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:44 PM   #11

I mean... correlation does not equal causation...
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
And yup, if I must risk potential cognitive decline while being happily retired, It's a risk that I eagerly accept.
I will happily join you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I used up all my brains earning a pension.
That too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
I mean... correlation does not equal causation...
What, me worry?
Old 10-30-2019, 04:15 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought that this was a little different since the time for making pensions available was determined by geographic location. In the usual first world studies showing a harm to er I have wondered how many of the voluntary early retirees did so because of some indication of a problem. Not all who are having health problems are eligible for disability. On the other hand, actually reading the 49 page paper would lower my quality of life.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
I am fortunate enough to get two modest pension checks each month. Based upon this research, I have nicknamed them dumb and dumber. And yup, if I must risk potential cognitive decline while being happily retired, It's a risk that I eagerly accept.

+1. I have to laugh at these articles about how we should all avoid early retirement if we want to stay healthy. I've been retired for 10 years now, and as far as I know, my health (including cognitive health) is just fine (almost certainly better now than before I retired......)
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:26 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I must say that after about six months into RE I found that I wasn't quite as sharp as when I was working. Not dangerously so or worrisome but it was there.

I had needed to be on hair-trigger, quick draw for a long, long time and after RE came to realize how much energy it was taking up.

It wasn't like I suddenly 'slower'--I was, and am still pretty sharp-- but there was a subtle but noticeable mental shift taking place which I found interesting; more a matter of having the time to work things through mentally when before, a delay could be career limiting.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:34 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I have done lots of intellectually challenging things while retired, including learning new areas of science, even formal study, several new technical and computer skills, and working on several languages, including some new ones. I also do extensive historical reading associated with our travels. Oh yeah, and resuming musical instruments which has involved a great deal of memorization.

Foreign travel itself, including planning, provides a lot of mental stimulation.

Oh, never mind, I don’t have a pension......
Old 10-31-2019, 09:59 AM   #17

Did not read the article but perhaps they don't have children. For instance still in my working years, the biggest challenge of my day is getting my 2 year old out the door to daycare. This is no joke. She does not comprimise lol.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:09 PM   #18

If you're developing dementia...you're developing dementia.

Hopefully others notice it more quickly if you're screwing up your portfolio vs. getting a check every month.

Going back through mom's records after she died she had lost the ability to even balance her checkbook nearly a decade before her official diagnosis (mom received lifetime alimony, so she never really bothered with investing)
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Despite any risk I'm going to retire anyway