Join Early Retirement Today

Are retirees' health costs as steep as some say?
Old 03-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Are retirees' health costs as steep as some say?

A good article surveying the issues and numbers.

Are retiree health costs that steep? Robert Powell - MarketWatch
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I think that everyone, before they get too senile to know how to build it, should buy a long enough hose that fits the tailpipe of their car or lawn mower.
HsiaoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Obama to Name Medicare and Medicaid Director - NYTimes.com

Good move. Very good move.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Meadbh, I take it you are familiar with Dr. Berwick. What can you tell us about him?
Old 03-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Meadbh, I take it you are familiar with Dr. Berwick. What can you tell us about him?
Don Berwick is a Harvard pediatrician and the CEO of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (www.ihi.org). He is one of the world's foremost thinkers and leaders on how to improve healthcare and make it safer. He led the 100,000 lives campaign, which was so named because it has been estimated from various studies that up to 98,000 people in the US die annually due to patient safety problems, ranging from hospital acquired infections to failure to get the care they need. Associated with this and other campaigns, hospital mortality in the US has actually decreased in recent years.

Dr Berwick's influence is global and he has received many awards, including a knighthood from QE2 for his work with the NHS in Britain. The Annual Forum of the IHI is an excellent meeting which I have attended several times. For the past several years, there have been brainstorming sessions about potential directions for the US healthcare system to take. I am not at all surprised that Pres. Obama has chosen Dr. Berwick to lead Medicare / Medicaid. Dr. Berwick's philosophy is not about cutting costs as a primary outcome, it's about delivering the right healthcare in an effective, efficient and safe way. If done right, savings will follow.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
I think that everyone, before they get too senile to know how to build it, should buy a long enough hose that fits the tailpipe of their car or lawn mower.
See! I told you they were going to kill my grandmother.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote