Are vision and dental insurance plans worth it?

We have the option to purchase dental and vision through our retiree medical plans. While dental isn't worth it (our dentist doesn't accept it), the vision is a sweet deal - I pay less than $150/year and get $260 worth of contacts for $20 and no charge for the exam.

The dental insurance offered at work (back in the day) didn't seem to be worth it to me. Premiums were low but so were the benefits. I couldn't see paying $200 to $300 a year in premimuns for a "possible" 2k annual benefit. So I self insured and have came out way ahead.

Didn't need vision insurance since a family member was/is in the optometry business and we got a great discount (free).

Last edited:
Funny, just left the dentist office and saw this. The answer is yes, but not through the same provider as health insurance and not insurance but a discount plan. I pay $15 per month and get 2x per year checkups/cleanings/xrays at no additional cost. Moreover, anything else is a pre-negotiated discounted rate so I know in advance what things will cost. Its Carington via Standard Insurance company. I've had them for 2 years now without a problem. I think I found the plan (it's not technically insurance) on Dental insurance.com or something like that. Do some comparison shopping. Good luck!

Sent from my LGL34C using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I have researched and will use Careington 500 plan when my COBRA ends in November. I'm prone to root canals and crowns and will save about $1K per episode.

https://www1.careington.com/members/health_care_discount/dental_visionp.shtml

My retiree vision plan is cheap. 150 bucks annually which includes myself and my kids. since both my son and I wear glasses, the annual premium is well worth it. We get a free pair of glasses a year, with a seriously nice frame allowance.

No dental.

The discount plans sound interesting but none of my docs participate. I'll have to ask them about cash pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Just got back from the dentist and asked about this.

They give 5% discount if the charge is over $500 and senior discount of 10% at 65 yo if pay by cash. If you use a CC the discount is 2% less.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

DW and I signed up for a dental discount plan - $125 for the year - Our dental bill shows the full amount and the "discount" which is always more than what we pay for the discount plan. No haggling for a discount in office just called a few years back to see if they accepted the discount plan. Works for us.

Mom and Sister use this type service. Way better than private Dental Insurance for them so far.

My vision and dental is rolled into my retiree insurance which is subsidized and along with health care and scripts is $550 a month for just me. Not complaining at that price as MegaCorp picks up just a bit less than half. The dental and medical are great, the vision is useless. CostCo glasses and exam are way better priced and surprisingly good quality.

I looked up my eye doctor and dentist and unfortunately neither participates in any of the discount plans I found online. I haven't tried yet to negotiate a cash/no insurance price. How successful have people found that to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom