Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-23-2019, 06:49 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Former runner here. Gave it up due to pain in both knees from osteoarthritis. Switched to cycling for cardio exercise. I love cycling but do miss running.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not sure the difference but I consider myself a jogger. Interesting discussion as my heartrate can run a little hot. At 62 I found myself jogging with my heart in the upper 160s. They did a holter monitor for a week, nothing was said about my jogging.

A few weeks ago I discovered different breathing techniques, my heartrate seldom goes above 145 now.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:40 AM   #23

Over 8 minutes a mile - you are a jogger. 8 minutes a mile and under - you are a runner.
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:50 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
Over 8 minutes a mile - you are a jogger. 8 minutes a mile and under - you are a runner.
Nope, that's not it.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I'm a runner. If someone asks me about my "jogging" I don't correct them. I really don;t care what tag others use. Due to injuries and illnesses, I haven't done a nonstop 3 mile run in 18 months I have to do a systematic run-walk. But I still call myself a runner. It's a lifestyle, I do it regularly, and most importantly I look forward to it (vs doing it just for the health benefit).
Enjoyed that video LOL. I never did anything more then about a 10k. One can always pick up the pace for a more challenging workout.

These days it's all about enjoying the run and avoiding injury. In my age group people generally have given up running if they ever did it. The questions are of the form "and you don't have any knee problems?".

Heading out for a 4.4 mile run. That Apple Watch stole some miles from me as my non-GPS watch told me the run was 5.7 miles. Ugh. It does have the benefit of allowing me to make a pair of running shoes last awhile longer.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:09 AM   #26

One thing I’ve learned the hard way about running. You better stretch frequently. Achilles, calves, and quads for certain. And hams, and even hip flexors is also a good idea.
I hate stretching cause I’m about as flexible as an iron rod. But it’s essential or injury is certain. I surmise that many folks who give up running due to joint pain or other chronic injury maybe just didn’t stretch enough. I’m not sure most older people like to stretch.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Yep, I've added stretching to my gym routine. Also do some stretches at a mid-point in the run. I can't touch my toes (not even to within 10 inches) and never have been limber.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:46 AM   #28

I don't monitor my heart rate but I have a 3 mile run tomorrow.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I think a jogger would be more casual about the exercise regardless of pace. A runner probably has a mindset to beat their own pace or the person in front of them.

I'm currently dealing with some injuries and do a run/walk. But every week I am to either increase my pace or duration. I give myself internal high fives when I beat a previous mark.

If I was just jogging, I don't think I would care.

As to injuries, the greatest thing I did was adding strength training to my regimen. It has helped keep many injuries on the sideline.

cd :O)
Chris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:51 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Been running for decades but never worried about targeting my heart rate...I just try to enjoy the run.
TheRunningMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:57 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7 View Post
I think a jogger would be more casual about the exercise regardless of pace.
True, but heart rate "zones" can be used in a variety of ways. For example, are you interested in improving your conditioning or just maintaining it?

You can use a percentage of your max heart rate to adjust your activity. Here's one site that explains it:
Heart Rate Zones

Quote:
  • Light intensity, 50-60% of MHR
  • Moderate intensity, 60-70% of MHR
  • Intense, 70-80% of MHR
  • Very intense, 80-90% of MHR
  • All out intensity, 90-100% of MHR
Old 04-23-2019, 04:50 PM   #32

The only time I resemble a jogger is on the rare occasions when I am working through an injury or not feeling well.
Otherwise, I need the intensity that comes with running.
I have never monitored my heart rate but know from experience when I am pushing the lactate/anaerobic threshold.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:57 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
The only time I resemble a jogger is on the rare occasions when I am working through an injury or not feeling well.
Otherwise, I need the intensity that comes with running.
I have never monitored my heart rate but know from experience when I am pushing the lactate/anaerobic threshold.
I remember some races in high school where on that last half lap I'd "hit the wall" and my body just would not respond any further to my brain. We didn't train to increase the anaerobic threshold in those days as I imagine race people do now.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:25 AM   #34
gone traveling

At what speed do you go from jogging to running?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:44 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
If you are at your running speed then you are running by definition. Slow down and you are jogging. Then there is walking and sitting which we will cover in the next thread.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:40 AM   #36

Quote:

There is nothing official about it, mostly semantics.
Call a jogger a runner they won't mind, the other way round might fetch a comment.
During my gym days, I used to see people mime a workout, those are the 'joggers'.
If I represented Tobago at the Olympic Games, I would look like a jogger..... So, I'll add a third category - racer.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:43 AM   #37

Quote:
At 11 feet per second
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:42 AM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
At 11 feet per second
OK, that's 7.5 miles per hour. The reason I ask, is that I am rehabbing my knee that I injured a few weeks ago. At PT they put me on a zero gravity treadmill and set it to 60% body weight. Then I had to alternate between walking and jogging. All they told me is to adjust the speed control myself. So I ended up walking at 3.5 MPH for 1 minute and then jogging at 6 MPH for two minutes and that cycle went on for 20 minutes. After that I was wondering what constitutes jogging speed vs running. I play softball, so when running the bases, it's more like sprinting vs what I would consider running/jogging. I've never had a knee injury before, so hoping I can recover soon and go back to full speed. Ortho said I had some wear behind my patella which was causing me some pain.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Anyone familiar with downtown Dallas, and/or the annual Turkey Trot? Start at City Hall, run east to the “edge” of downtown, north a couple of blocks, back westward, over the bridge into Oak Cliff, then eventually back over the Trinity to City Hall.

I “raced” the Trot twice, as I recall, and I would note that about the time I crossed over into Oak Cliff, at 3-4 miles, the eventual winners were already crossing the other bridge, and nearing the finish (8 miles, IIRC). Was I running, or jogging? [emoji12]

My “race” times were around 8 min/mi, sometimes in the sevens, though the first few minutes was usually jogging in place, waiting for the pack to move.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:45 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, that's 7.5 miles per hour. The reason I ask, is that I am rehabbing my knee that I injured a few weeks ago. At PT they put me on a zero gravity treadmill and set it to 60% body weight. Then I had to alternate between walking and jogging. All they told me is to adjust the speed control myself. So I ended up walking at 3.5 MPH for 1 minute and then jogging at 6 MPH for two minutes and that cycle went on for 20 minutes. After that I was wondering what constitutes jogging speed vs running. I play softball, so when running the bases, it's more like sprinting vs what I would consider running/jogging. I've never had a knee injury before, so hoping I can recover soon and go back to full speed. Ortho said I had some wear behind my patella which was causing me some pain.
OK, that's a valid reason for wanting to know. The problem is, Running_Man's jogging speed is probably not yours. Are you a 25 year old ex-college track athlete, or a fairly sedentary 75-yr old? Or something in between? Don't you think that jogging for one will be a different pace than for the other person?

I would ask the PT for guidance on pace.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote