Are you cool ... your temperature that is?

I think this was the paper the article was written about.
https://elifesciences.org/articles/49555

It does mention anti inflammatorys, as a factor that may be causing the lowering the temperature of the human body.

"Reduction in inflammation may also explain the continued drop in temperature observed between the two more modern cohorts: NHANES and STRIDE. Although many chronic infections had been conquered before the NHANES study, some—periodontitis as one example (Capilouto and Douglass, 1988)— continued to decrease over this short period. Moreover, the use of anti-inflammatory drugs including aspirin (Luepker et al., 2015), statins (Salami et al., 2017) and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (Lamont and Dias, 2008) increased over this interval, potentially reducing inflammation. NSAIDs have been specifically linked to blunting of body temperature, even in normal volunteers (Murphy et al., 1996). In support of declining inflammation in the modern era, a study of NHANES participants demonstrated a 5% decrease in abnormal C-reactive protein levels between 1999 and 2010 (Ong et al., 2013)."

Cool? sometimes. As for temperature, am clueless.

I'm another regular blood donor and it's always a bit under 98. I think I went to 98.6 a few months ago when I had a sinus infection.

Today I had my routine doctor appointment, and my temperature was measured at 98.3F.

BP was 120/74, pulse 73. OK, that's not the thread topic. I'll shut up now. :LOL:

I'm amazed that people even know their temperature. I can't remember the last time I had my temperature taken. Probably indirectly by the thermal scanners at the airport during SARS. Just lucky I guess.

My GP's group has a website that I can look at all the stats and notes from all of my visits. I can also access all my lab results including trend charts.

On my last visit my temperature was 96.7. I've always been cold blooded.

My GP's group has a website that I can look at all the stats and notes from all of my visits. I can also access all my lab results including trend charts.

On my last visit my temperature was 96.7. I've always been cold blooded.
Yes I just don't know why your GP would be routinely taking your temperature.

Yes I just don't know why your GP would be routinely taking your temperature.

In this country it has always been routine. First thing that happens on every routine visit is temperature, blood pressure, and a list of questions about medications and lifestyle. Every time.

In this country it has always been routine. First thing that happens on every routine visit is temperature, blood pressure, and a list of questions about medications and lifestyle. Every time.

If the country is USA, it is not SOP for every GP. I have never had my temp taken by my GP. Then again, I've never been to the office for flu, cold, sinus either.

Well, I'm corrected (and surprised). That has been the first part of every visit to every GP doc I've had for the last 30 years.

Our digital thermometer is one that reads forehead temperatures. So one's temperature might vary depending on how and where on the body it is read. I imagine the studies of body temperature of groups of people over the years has kept the measurement technique pretty constant.

In addition this note was on the user manual for our thermometer:
Normal body temperature fluctuates throughout the day and is also affected by external factors. The body temperature of an individual is the lowest between 2:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. and the highest between 2:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. An individual's body temperature typically changes by less than 1°C (1.8 °F) each day

If the country is USA, it is not SOP for every GP. I have never had my temp taken by my GP. Then again, I've never been to the office for flu, cold, sinus either.

Military primary care mgr visits always commence with printout medicine review, weight, BP, temp and usually pulse-gen. You could be there for anything and theyre gonna do that. Caveat: diff nurse everytime so seemingly at random they take of 2,3,4 lbs for boots etc. Even if youre in flipflops

Well we can be sure that the military has good rationale for everything they do! ;)

Seriously, though BP has utility and weight and pulse some use but taking the temperature of an asymptomatic patient is pretty useless. Even pulse is probably borderline.

My temperature is low. It can be below 97 first thing in the morning (basal temp). Probably my thyroid.

I rarely feel cold however.

Last edited:
I took my temp this morning at 7am and it was 96.5 . So almost 2 degrees lower then in the later part of the day when it was 98.4 .

I took my temp this morning at 7am [-]and it was 96.5 . So almost 2 degrees lower then in the later part of the day when it was 98.4[/-] .

Have to correct this one. I take my temperature with a forehead instrument and it isn't very much different between the early morning and late evening readings. Maybe about 96.5 in the AM and a few tenths higher in the PM.

Lots of factors affecting ones body temperature including where you take the reading and this is a pretty good writeup on some considerations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_body_temperature

I took my temp this morning at 7am and it was 96.5 . [-]So almost 2 degrees lower then in the later part of the day when it was 98.4[/-] .

Have to correct this one. I take my temperature with a forehead instrument and it isn't very much different between the early morning and late evening readings. Maybe about 96.5 in the AM and a few tenths higher in the PM.

Lots of factors affecting ones body temperature including where you take the reading and this is a pretty good writeup on some considerations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_body_temperature

Back
Top Bottom