Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-22-2019, 05:03 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I’m actually more athletic now than I was when younger. In preparation for retirement I managed to lose a lot of weight. Almost 100 pounds. After this I became a runner. I’ve done marathons as recently as 2014. I still run almost every day for 5-6 miles. I’ve played tennis as a junior and much of my adult life competitively. And in the last couple of years I’ve become a long distance hiker/backpacker. I love all these things and hope to continue them as long as possible. Being active is part of what makes retirement joyful for me.

Btw, all this talk about running versus jogging. I’m in the camp of being a runner. Not a jogger. Here’s a clip I like on the subject.
https://youtu.be/B6nFhcI4tgI
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Are you still an athlete?
Old 04-22-2019, 05:12 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Are you still an athlete?

My doctor calls me her ”athlete”. Probably because I’m her only patient that has run a marathon in their 60’s. Not competitive, but I’ve finished in the top 4 of my age group in the 5 races I’ve run since 2011. I want to do one more marathon in 2 years when I’m 65 so that Medicare will pay for the damage.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:25 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
I consider myself a jogger, but I do jog in running shoes. So I guess it's debatable.

If one could provide a definitive pace that separates a runner from a jogger, then I'd know for sure.
There isn't one. Whatever you think you are is fine. I feel like jogging implies a fairly low level of effort, and I think if I'm training for a marathon, or for an all out effort in a 5K, I'm a runner, not a jogger. I don't look down on anyone who laces up their shoes and gets out there.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:37 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
My doctor calls me her ”athlete”. Probably because I’m her only patient that has run a marathon in their 60’s. Not competitive, but I’ve finished in the top 4 of my age group in the 5 races I’ve run since 2011. I want to do one more marathon in 2 years when I’m 65 so that Medicare will pay for the damage.
Nice work on the competitive running at over 60, Ron!

65 is exactly the age I got my hip replacement due to a completely worn cartilage that was the result of years of running and other forms of healthy punishment.

All is good now, but no more pounding exercise.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:39 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Here's a runner. 70 yr old woman in an epic finish at the Western States 100 miler a few years ago. You have 30 hours to run 100 miles from Squaw Valley to Auburn CA, over mountains and thru hot hot valleys, finishing on a HS track, the most prestigious ultra marathon in the US, if not the world. There is no mercy, if you don't make it in 30 hours, you don't get an official finish. The guy who had won the race some 15 hours earlier was one of the people who went out on the course and ran the last mile with her.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10153307128530412
Old 04-22-2019, 06:08 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Not me, no way! Never an athlete, no love (or even like) of sports ever.

I'm a nerd!
Me too. I took up jogging in college because I was horrified at the prospect of gaining the freshman 15. (I never did. Still within 10 pounds of high school weight) Did long stretches of no exercise (interspersed with weight control jogging) till January when I started going to the gym. I am enjoying the heck out of it. Who knew?
Old 04-22-2019, 06:34 PM   #47
Gone but not forgotten

Any excuse for a story.

My jeanie's uncle was one of the greatest guys who ever lived. Smart, good looking, the perfect ladies' man, and wealthy enough to do whatever he wanted.
He adored jeanie, and became a good friend to me as well... 'specially when he found out I was a pretty good swimmer.

He was also a great sportsman... Rhode Island Champion skier... (Diamond Hill) for the first three years i knew him... Also... the Rhode Island golf champion for years... (Gene Carlson). (late 50's, early 60's).

He just naturally assumed that being good in one sport, made a guy good in all sports...naturally. I was strong, and should be able to do well in golf. So he took me to meet the people at the Newport National Golf Club, and to play a round with him.

Now, at the time,the course was laid out with the first holes parallel... First shot... the wind up... the pitch, and the ball went a country mile.
Not to the next parallel course, but over that, in well into the third fairway....

Gene was a perfect gentleman, and didn't say a word as I crossed #1, #2, and pitched back from #3. Course was very busy, and as I walked to my ball, I'm sure I heard snickering. Distance good, direction very bad.

Got through the day, who knows how, and back to the clubhouse to meet the friends... Never a word said, though I'm sure everyone knew. Jeanie's uncle saved my day... and told the guys about my swimming... Cool dude!

Haven't touched a golf club since. Surfing, waterskiing, canoeing and hiking, but NO GOLF!
Old 04-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
I’m actually more athletic now than I was when younger. In preparation for retirement I managed to lose a lot of weight. Almost 100 pounds. After this I became a runner. I’ve done marathons as recently as 2014. I still run almost every day for 5-6 miles. I’ve played tennis as a junior and much of my adult life competitively. And in the last couple of years I’ve become a long distance hiker/backpacker. I love all these things and hope to continue them as long as possible. Being active is part of what makes retirement joyful for me.
Except for a brief stretch in my early 30s, I'm more athletic than when I was younger. I share both the weight loss (65+ pounds) and the backpacking parts, but am not a runner at all.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:18 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Nice work on the competitive running at over 60, Ron!

65 is exactly the age I got my hip replacement due to a completely worn cartilage that was the result of years of running and other forms of healthy punishment.

All is good now, but no more pounding exercise.
Thanks aja8888 - At my age, it isn't difficult to be competitive - there are seldom more than 16-20 guys in my age group running in any given race.

Good that the pounding exercise is over for you and all is good now.

There is point where one must recognize that they need to quit the pounding exercise and move on to something less stressful on the joints. I hope I can convince myself to stop before I wear out my joints.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:26 PM   #50

Well, kinda. I loved riding my bike more than anything else. But I played soccer and basketball and eventually transitioned to strictly running track and cross country all through HS. I opted not to compete in college. I picked back up running at 25, then bought a road bike and started riding a little bit. Cycling again became my favorite activity, and now 17 years later, I’ve raced dozens of triathlons up to 70.3 and have even coached a runner and a triathlete.

Now with the arrival of DD#2, I’ve been limited to just time on my bike... not that that’s a limit. And this coming weekend I will race my first straight up bike races (criterium). We will see if I race bikes or go back to tris, but in a roundabout way... yes? I guess? [emoji1]
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:28 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I've run at least one marathon a year since 2008, and just signed up for my next one in August. I've had some health issues that have slowed me down the last couple of years but I'm working to get back in shape to qualify for Boston again. Very unlikely to make it this year but maybe I can qualify next year for 2021 or 2022. I still bristle a bit if someone calls me a jogger. I'm a runner, dammit!
Me too. People roll their eyes when they ask if I went “jogging” and I say “I don’t jog, I run.”
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:19 AM   #52

I was mostly a casual league and pick-up game athlete growing up. I bike and am writing this during our 1,800 mile bike vacation. When at home, I am playing b-ball 3 times per week at the Y. Players are 20 to 70. The younger better players adjust their game.

Prior to our last move, I found a no check, older gentler pick up ice hockey game. It had been about 20 years since I played. It is among the activities I miss most since moving away.

But I was able to join my daughters coed softball team. So I played last summer. After X number of years I was not too disappointed with my playing. My throwing arm however needs an amazing amount of work. Having said that, none of my old teams would have invited me back.

The Y has pickleball, I plan on trying that this summer.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:14 AM   #53
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoSour View Post
I consider myself a jogger, but I do jog in running shoes. So I guess it's debatable.

If one could provide a definitive pace that separates a runner from a jogger, then I'd know for sure.
Definitive? No, but a number I've used is:

"Jogging is defined as going at a pace of less than 6 mph, while running is defined as anything faster than 6 mph."

Google "the difference between running and jogging" and you'll see many sites that use this description.

I run a dozen races a year, mostly 5k's and one half marathon, I'll run as long as I'm able, then jog as long as I can.
2k6_TX_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:35 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k6_TX_Dad View Post

"Jogging is defined as going at a pace of less than 6 mph, while running is defined as anything faster than 6 mph."

Google "the difference between running and jogging" and you'll see many sites that use this description.
Nope again. There is no set pace that defines it, any more than there is a dollar amount cutoff to determine whether you are rich or not. Individuals may find their own cutoff to be 8 or 10 min miles, but one size does not come close to fitting all.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Here's a good take on it.

https://www.verywellfit.com/differen...ogging-2911122

If you're looking for a more specific answer, there isn't one.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:19 AM   #56

My co worker classifies 30 minutes of reading a book as 30 minutes of moderate daily excercise. And I guess geckos are dragons. She tells this to her health insurer too. Its not helping her. In other news, I saw a dragon thr other day..it was like a mini dragon.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:21 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k6_TX_Dad View Post

I run a dozen races a year, mostly 5k's and one half marathon, I'll run as long as I'm able, then jog as long as I can.
Lol good point. When I start my 15k I run annually...i am running a race with other runners. By the time I finish I am jogging to the finish line...even my sprint at the end is slower than my running at the beginning 😆
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Played Pickleball on vacation on the East side of FLA. The competition was really quite good. Sore as heck right now.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:34 PM   #59
Dryer sheet wannabe

Still plugging along at 62. I still play lacrosse with the younger folks but I don't run up and down the field anymore as a middie. I can pass the ball plenty quick enough :-) I don't race bicycles anymore so biking, skiing, etc are sports I play but not competitively.

I must still be an athlete though because I spend more time rehabbing and repairing strains and pains now than I ever did when I was younger.......
Odiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:12 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

At 61 I'm nowhere near as athletic as I once was (baseball and football as a young guy with some accolades) but my golf game is as good as it's ever been. I usually hover around a 5 handicap and got as low as 3.0 last summer. Still play from from either the back tees or one up from the back. Of course, I also play around 130 rounds a year while living in New England, so I guess practice does make (kinds sorta) perfect!

I marvel at the runners and their stories. On the few occasions I try to run (or even jog), I can only describe the feeling as my body being a bag of loose bones. Every stride is jarring to my entire body and my lack of fluidity is astonishing! My hat is off to the runners...